Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Situational Stopper $ Donator
    Thanks

Default Re: Windy Interview on leaving for ESPN

Truly a fascinating interview on WTAM with Bob Frantz.. Windhorst was as candid as I've ever heard him about the whole situation. Some highlights:

• Only granted 1 one-on-one interview with Lebron in entire 7 years covering him.
    • Was cussed out by Randy Mims (I assume he was talking about him) for writing an article for the PD that said how he was hired by the Cavs and traveled with the team. This article led to an NBA investigation.
    • Received numerous calls from Lebron's publicist over the years that yelled at Windy for what he wrote in specific articles.
    • Lebron's team doesn't trust him, and is disappointed that he is coming down to Miami to cover the team because they feel as though they can't control him
    • Windy strongly defended his choice over the years to not pass along rumors he heard about Lebron's character (or lack thereof). Says that every bear writer must be careful on what he passes along for liable reasons.
    • Windy also defended his "fairness" in covering the Cavs/Lebron. Pointed to how he was the only person to ask Lebron tough questions during Boston series. (I agree with him here, Windy was always fair in criticizing/defending Lebron).
    • Frantz accused Windy of having his journalistic integrity comprimised because the money he earns is tied directly to Lebron - he pointed to the books he wrote on Lebron. Windy basically admitted that he made almost no money on the books, and also that the companies he works for (PD, ABJ, ESPN now) are the ones that are worried about that. Again strongly defended his fairness.
    • Frantz basically spent the entire interview calling out Windhorst for being a "sell-out." He didn't pull any punches - the interview was a straight on attack on Windhorst. Windhorst didn't back down from anything, and props to him for being a man about it.
    • Before being cut off by commercial, Windy goes on a long rant about how this was a difficult decision to him and a huge risk for him. Says that he has wanted to work for ESPN.com for the last 6 years - preferably as a general NBA writer - so this was a goal of his. Although the conditions aren't perfect, he sees is at an opportunity to test himself. He regrets not having the opportunity to cover Cavs this season - enjoys working with Chris Grant and Byron Scott.
    • Windhorst was "very disappointed" with Lebron about the decision he made. Felt that Lebron let down the city - and most importantly, the players around him who worked very hard that year. Disappointed that he never (publicly) took any blame.
    • Commits to covering Lebron objectively for ESPN. (Personally, that's the bright spot in all of this. He will literally be the only ESPN analyst I will trust when it comes to Lebron James coverage).
    • Explains that he is working for ESPN.com. He will be covering entire NBA, with emphasis on Miami Heat. Compares it to Marc Stein in Dallas, JA Adanda in LA, etc. Mentions that his role on covering mainly Heat can expand in 2-3 years to more national coverage.
    • Only accepted job with the stipulation that its not ONLY Heat coverage.
    • Says that even if Lebron did resign, and then ESPN.com offered him a national coverage job, he would have taken the job. This is in response to Frantz basically insinuating that Windy is Lebron's lapdog.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,539 Times in 671 Posts

Seriously, people need to relax on him leaving (not here, but on the radio). Windy is pretty much killing James though, as much as possible. Says it will be a challenge to report on him. Good for Windy to at least be objective about this.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,078 Times in 1,056 Posts

These callers and Frantz are being fucking brutal. I don't know how Windy is managing to keep his cool. Also, there seems to be a misunderstanding with the way he's covering the NBA. He's going to ESPN.com to write with an emphasis on the Heat, not to join ESPNMiami.com. I really don't like the fact that these people are calling him a sellout. He's taking a better job. That's just the facts.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to NorthCoastBias For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,064 Posts

Windy needs to make appearances on Around the Horn.

Thanks

LOL @ Bob Frantz's listeners.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 678 Posts

I'm totally bummed about Windy leaving...it just feels like no one cares about Cavs basketball besides the fans.(Probably true). Can I get a link please? Thanks.

Rising Star
    Thanks

2 things about the interview. Frantz is an ass. The guy got a better job and is leaving before he became old news. Second Wtam has as many commercials as I remembered and I havent lived in cleveland in years

Thanks

I think Windy may be overestimating his objectiveness. Not that he isn't objective, because he's about as objective as you get. However, everyone is going to see him as a shill, at which point there is nothing he can do. I'm guessing he thinks his work will speak for itself, but unfortunately it won't. Once that labeled is attached, its too late.

Or he's doing it strictly for money.

Thanks

God, these listeners did not deserve to listen to windy..

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Funny Man Rocco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,782 Times in 1,160 Posts

I just listened to the whole thing and I commend the guy for actually taking time to take calls from somewhat angry callers. He said most of the right things and certainly did not give LBJ a pass.

I also believe he knows the insides of what happened both during the playoffs and in the offseason. In a big way, he did sell out. That's just a fact, he won't be covering other teams, he'll be covering the Heat and LeBron. I can't say I blame him as a human considering he's just doing what's bettering his living situations, nothing wrong with that. I have a feeling he'll be the kind of guy to one day say what really went down and it will be an historical reference to LeBron and the state of the NBA during this period. In a way, I want him to go follow LeBron so the whole story can be told when the time comes.

Thanks

Well now Franz is defending Windy, saying how most of us would do the same thing.

The second of his name. theSTEREO.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,224 Times in 2,014 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neyvit View Post
    [*] Explains that he is working for ESPN.com. He will be covering entire NBA, with emphasis on Miami Heat. Compares it to Marc Stein in Dallas, JA Adanda in LA, etc. Mentions that his role on covering mainly Heat can expand in 2-3 years to more national coverage.[/LIST]
    This actually excites me. I always appreciated and enjoyed listening to and reading Brian's info on the Cavs, and always wished he was able to dig deeper into the NBA in general.

For this reason alone, I will continue to follow him on Twitter, check in from time to time. The guy knows how to find a story that many people can't.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theSTEREO. For This Useful Post:

Thanks

the man just got a new job... in this economy. plus he said it was a goal of his. nobody should be upset with windy. hes just a sports writer. chill. but still, he is no longer ours so... fuck him.

Camp Invitee
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by catfish View Post
    2 things about the interview. Frantz is an ass. The guy got a better job and is leaving before he became old news. Second Wtam has as many commercials as I remembered and I havent lived in cleveland in years
    I seem to remember Frantz bolting WTAM before for a job on the West Coast. But I guess in that case, it was just Bob doing what was best for his family and career. Completely different than what Windhorst is doing. (read: sarcasm)

Thanks

My question for all the people who are critical is, if you had the opportunity to move up and get a better job would you decline accept?