Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Miracle of Richfield daytripper's Avatar
    Thanks

Default Best Device to Stream Netflix?

This is probably a stupid question but figure the gamers and gadget experts on this forum would know the answer. It seems there are tons of options that allow you to stream Netflix to a TV such as hooking up a PC, Roku, Xbox and other gaming systems, Sony n100, and Bluray players.

What is the best way to stream Netflix if I do not own most of those devices now but looking to purchase one in the near future? Eventually I will have to break down and buy a good gaming system when my kids are a little older but for the time being just looking for a cheap reliable way to get streaming movies.

Thanks in advance.

Gold Star Member
    Thanks

Default Re: Best Device to Stream Netflix?

Xbox 360 interface is better than PS3's but you can also play Blu-rays on PS3. Or you could buy a TV like a Pansonic G25 Plasma or a Vizio XVT LCD that allow you to connect to netflix through a wired/wireless connection directly through the TV.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,860 Times in 2,075 Posts

Wii is the cheapest. I stream Netflix from it daily and it is alright. Also, I have an iMac that is pretty awesome. I'd say the Blu Ray on the PS3 is the best for the money because of the multi-purposeness, but the Wii is the cheapest and you can use it with your children without having them turn into joystick jocks.

Cavaliers | Browns | Indians | Buckeyes | Red Hawks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,493 Times in 601 Posts

I use it on my IPhone, PS3 and 360. Between the two systems I have to give it to the PS3.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 668 Posts

I use it on my x box 360. Never really had any problems with it.

Takin' RCF to Poundtown 9 Ball Pool Challenge Champion BABUCO PONG 2 Champion Hidden 100 Lati Champion Boomeranger Champion SixPACK's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,545 Times in 634 Posts

My xbox360 is great, no skipping (a.k.a. "retrieving", or whatever it is for the signal), and the interface is real easy. My girlfriends Wii retrieves a lot and the layout just isn't as good.

I had a ps3 and the interface was sloppy, but having the blu-ray was legit.

I would vote xbox for more of a "family" system (you can get xbox live and get family type games/trivia games/party games for when you have friends over. The layout is great, never skips.

I just personally don't care too much for blu-ray, looks good but so do regular DVDs on my tv.
    -Pain is weakness leaving the body. . .

Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff. . .

Takin' RCF to Poundtown 9 Ball Pool Challenge Champion BABUCO PONG 2 Champion Hidden 100 Lati Champion Boomeranger Champion SixPACK's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh, and it looks real good on my iphone4/iPad. But that's mainly for you. Even though the iPad is nice on car trips if you don't have tvs in car

Gold Star Member
    Thanks

Just to let you know a Roku HD (cheapest one they make 59.99) does 720p HD which should be enough or you can go 79.99 for 1080P and both have built-in wireless.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by o SixPACK o View Post
    My xbox360 is great, no skipping (a.k.a. "retrieving", or whatever it is for the signal), and the interface is real easy. My girlfriends Wii retrieves a lot and the layout just isn't as good.

I had a ps3 and the interface was sloppy, but having the blu-ray was legit.

I would vote xbox for more of a "family" system (you can get xbox live and get family type games/trivia games/party games for when you have friends over. The layout is great, never skips.

I just personally don't care too much for blu-ray, looks good but so do regular DVDs on my tv.
    If you're comparing a PS3 and Xbox interface, how can you say the PS3 is sloppy? I don't understand that. I have both a 360 and PS3 and I prefer the PS3 x a million.

You can get trivia games/party games for the PS3 as well. They aren't Xbox inclusive lol. Xbox just came out with the Kinect though, which is real fun for party/family scenarios. PS3 has "Move", but I don't think that really compares. That's more of a comparison to Wii.

But to stay on topic, assuming you have a Netflix account, I suggest PS3. It kills virtually 3 birds with 1 stone in that you won't have to buy a gaming system when your kids grow up, you will have the newest viewing technology (aside from 3D of course), and you can stream Netflix instantly.

There's also tons of other things PS3's are capable of, but that's a different story for a different day.

Thanks

Apple TV is 99 bucks... You can rent brand new movies thru itunes (hell you can also do new TV shows.. they have an NBA Channel one of the top games in the NBA.. cavs have three of the 17 games so far this season) -- Internet options is Netflix, Flickr, Youtube, and some other movie/tv show renting website. Then if you have any other apple software you can stream music and movies instantly from that device thru the web ... oh they also do internet radio with i think over 600 stations.

Like I said its 99 bucks and it is SMALL and QUIET... go check it out at the local apple store. its pretty fucking cool.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ClevelandOwnz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by "Boobie" Gibson View Post
    If you're comparing a PS3 and Xbox interface, how can you say the PS3 is sloppy? I don't understand that. I have both a 360 and PS3 and I prefer the PS3 x a million.

You can get trivia games/party games for the PS3 as well. They aren't Xbox inclusive lol. Xbox just came out with the Kinect though, which is real fun for party/family scenarios. PS3 has "Move", but I don't think that really compares. That's more of a comparison to Wii.

But to stay on topic, assuming you have a Netflix account, I suggest PS3. It kills virtually 3 birds with 1 stone in that you won't have to buy a gaming system when your kids grow up, you will have the newest viewing technology (aside from 3D of course), and you can stream Netflix instantly.

There's also tons of other things PS3's are capable of, but that's a different story for a different day.
    I was trying to say I really did not like using Netflix through the PS3, for some reason the xbox is easier for me.

And for the family thing, if people are getting a system for their "kids" it is usually a Wii or xbox. It just seems more family friendly. I couldnt comment on the Kinect/Move thing because I do not have the Kinect.

Not a **** was given Man Called X's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,465 Times in 2,384 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by "Boobie" Gibson View Post

You do realize the PS3 is fully capable of 3D movies and gaming right?
    Why am I not allowed to have a center?

****, my potato is mashed cschneider27's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a new Apple TV and I stream Netflix all the time...it's awesome, and it's $99. Apple TV is even more fun if you have a device that will AirPlay to the apple tv, great for parties and shit.
    In honor of Storm's epic "Shiver me Timbers" thread!

Thanks

agree with the apple tv, just picked one up and it is very easy to use runs netflix very well.

Miracle of Richfield daytripper's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to check out Apple TV.

Eventually we will buy a better gaming system for the kids but the cost for a new PS3 or xbox is not in the current budget.