Page 341 of 1098 FirstFirst ... 241291331339340341342343351391441841 ... LastLast
Results 5,101 to 5,115 of 16456

Thread: 2012 Draft

Resident Microbiologist Dr. Gymbo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,725 Times in 786 Posts

Default Re: 2012 Draft

Regarding Austin Rivers declaring for the draft, this is Jigo's reaction somewhere in FL:

In all honesty, I don't know if Rivers would be a good fit next to Kyrie Irving. After seeing Kyrie play both positions this season with Ramon it makes me at least curious to the possibility, especially if the Cavs fall to 9-10. Even if the Cavs are at 8, it's likely that all of the other wing/shooting guard players are gone (MKG, Barnes, Beal). I think Rivers and Lamb are the next tier down from those three guys.

Who would you take between Lamb or Rivers? I think I'd have to go Lamb.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSurge View Post
    To be fair, "Heat Reporters" have only been on the job a few years.

Probably got on 2K and put in work.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Gymbo For This Useful Post:

El Campeón Dodger Champion Feed The King Champion Grab the Green Champion Pretty Kitty Champion Bubble Jumper Champion Master Mahjongg Champion HACKER Champion Blockdown Champion Find the keys Champion Pretty Puppies Puzzles Champion Mega Bounce Champion 2mazed Champion Quadratical Champion NtG's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 646 Posts

We already know that having two ball dominant guards on your team will not work (GOLDEN STATE). I absolutely do not want Rivers.
    I enjoy looking at puppies

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NtG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,807 Times in 1,898 Posts

People seriously want Rivers over Beal? People seriously want Rivers playing with Kyrie?

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ajz20 View Post
    Half the board was a hyperbole.
    So you exaggerated your insult? And that makes it more appropriate, how?

Second, yes, our future will be decided based on our ability to add young core players. This draft will be a chance to add a major young stud to build with. You are not making the playoffs, so why would you want to lessen your chances of getting an Anhtony Davis, MKG, Harrison Barnes or Brad Beal?
    I've explained to you many times why the Cavaliers would willingly lessen their chances.

We have had this discussion a million times, so I am not sure why are compelled to continue to argue. I am not going to budge about long term success versus short term success that is some nights fools gold because your second leading scorer is not apart of the franchise long term.
    Look at the chart and see the percentages of moving in the top 3 based on where you finish in the standings. It has been posted many times.
    Nobody is asking you to budge, and nobody needs a "chart" to understand odds & percentages, and nobody is even asking you to understand why a GM and an owner would consider other factors besides this. The question is why do you keep going out of your way to insult people you think disagree with you?

You chase the 8th seed in the playoffs like it is aa world championship.
    Me? I'm not chasing anything. Our players are playing their collective asses off even though in your mind it means nothing. Go figure. I support their efforts, rather than your opinion that they should lay down.

Your supporters have even advocated adding a veteran to help make a run. It shows how out of touch you are.
    I wasn't aware I had "supporters". Each person has their own opinion on the topic and if you want to argue one of their points, take it up with them.

I've never argued we should add a veteran to make a run, I've argued we should be willing to take on an overpaid veteran that'd likely improve our record if we got back a significant asset in addition such as a lottery pick or a promising young player.

Anyways, there was a tweet from probasketballDraft saying Rivers has a shot to go top 10. That is great news for us!!!!!!!!!
    Except for those of us dreaming of him slipping all the way to the Laker's pick ...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,748 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NtG View Post
    We already know that having two ball dominant guards on your team will not work (GOLDEN STATE). I absolutely do not want Rivers.
    Agreed. Drafting Rivers would be just about the worst pick the Cavs could make. Has there been a quality playoff team in the last 20 years that had two ball-dominating guards? All it gets you is a few Sports Center highlights and trade rumors once management realizes the two guys don't fit.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,973 Times in 636 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NtG View Post
    What Golden State was able to do with a different system and entirely different philosophy, and with different ball dominant guards, neither of which having the overall potential of Kyrie, doesn't result in us already knowing anything about how it would work, if at all, here.

What we do know is that Byron likes to use 2 PG lineups with some regularity, as he's done both here and with the Hornets. We also know that Kyrie can play off the ball pretty well. Finally, we should know that the Princeton offense, at least in theory, requires both guards to be solid ballhandlers, shooters, and passers.

What we don't know is whether Rivers has the mentality/ability to be effective in the NBA as an off-guard, even if he does get to play with the ball in his hands a fair amount, as well. We also don't know whether it's possible to break whatever curse has been cast upon him that has made him believe that his left arm has been amputated. I don't know if he has the strength and size to guard other SGs (I don't think so). Though you would think he'd be highly coachable, I don't know if his personality/attitude will allow for someone like Byron to get into his head and get him to cut back on those frequent plays where his overconfidence in his own handle causes him to try to do too much driving into traffic, resulting in a turnover.

I think, overall, I'm with you on not wanting Rivers, but mostly because I'd rather us be in a position to draft Beal or Lamb (and tournament be damned, I don't believe Beal has put as much distance between himself and Lamb as many here proclaim). Beal is an awesomely safe prospect, with good strength, adequate size, excellent mechanics in all facets, and off-the-charts intangibles, but his lack of elite ballhandling ability and explosiveness limit his potential a bit in my mind. Compare that to Lamb, who has excellent height for the position, tremendous length, better handles, more advanced offensive game generally, and more explosiveness, but poses very real strength concerns and has questionable intangibles. Classic higher floor/higher ceiling dichotomy between the two in my mind.

But if those two, along with the two SFs, TRob, and obviously Davis and Drummond are off the board, however, Rivers has to at least be in the conversation, regardless of what Golden Shithole did with their two guards.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to narbar32 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,808 Times in 4,207 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
    Agreed. Drafting Rivers would be just about the worst pick the Cavs could make. Has there been a quality playoff team in the last 20 years that had two ball-dominating guards? All it gets you is a few Sports Center highlights and trade rumors once management realizes the two guys don't fit.
    The Warriors with Baron Davis and Monta Ellis.

And the whole Warriors thing was so much more than Curry and Ellis not fitting, In my opinion, that was the least of the problems. The real problem was no size in the paint to speak of. They couldn't protect the rim to save their lives and it had nothing to do with Curry or Ellis.

And anyway, if this the road we feel like going down is "well, this hasn't worked for another team so we shouldn't do it" then you guys might to really think about that. Because can anyone name me a team in the last twenty years that actually won a championship in which its Point Guard was the best player on the team? You MIGHT be able to say the Pistons in '04. Rare is it when a PG led team actually wins titles, but I don't think that means we shouldn't try to be an exception with Kyrie.

Likewise, just because it didn't work out in Golden State with Curry and Ellis I don't think it means it should be avoided at all costs here. Especially considering my above statements about it being much more than just those two not fitting AND the fact that Kyrie Irving is already better than either of those two players have ever been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MacPhisto View Post
    I still hold that Kevin Love is a cancer. This team will win 50 without him, it will win 45 with him.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,423 Times in 460 Posts

Good news with Rivers leaving school. I think we'll see just about all of the top prospects leave for the NBA. Some people have been pessimistic about guys leaving because of Barnes, Jones III, etc. staying last year. Keep in mind, last year there was no guarantee that the NBA was even going to have a season. That was the exception and not the rule.

Thanks

Even though we don't want Rivers, the more stacked this draft is the better. More chance of someone we do want falling to us.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sam_slam911 For This Useful Post:

El Campeón Dodger Champion Feed The King Champion Grab the Green Champion Pretty Kitty Champion Bubble Jumper Champion Master Mahjongg Champion HACKER Champion Blockdown Champion Find the keys Champion Pretty Puppies Puzzles Champion Mega Bounce Champion 2mazed Champion Quadratical Champion NtG's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,675 Times in 646 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sam_slam911 View Post
    Even though we don't want Rivers, the more stacked this draft is the better. More chance of someone we do want falling to us.
    While this is true, I highly doubt that Rivers has any effect on our first pick, but he could cause someone to slide to us at the Lakers pick...
    I enjoy looking at puppies

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NtG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,429 Times in 1,669 Posts

I don't think the Golden State analogy is that far off: Curry the last 2 years has eerily similar numbers to Kyrie and when he plays and particularly when he play w/o Ellis, the Warriors play well. The problem of course is that Curry's ankle injuries have limited him.

IMO go with Beal and Lamb, two guys who have shown they can be very effective w/o having to dominate the ball
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The Warriors with Baron Davis and Monta Ellis.
    The same Warriors that went 42-40, got in as the 8th seed and were bounced in the 2nd round? And who have only made the playoffs once in the last 15 years? I guess we have a different defition of the word quality. If that's the best example you have, then I'd say the point stands.
    Last edited by Noonan; 03-23-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,157 Posts

There really is not point going back and forth. As I said we should agree to disagree and talk about the actual players in the draft. At the end of the way I assume we both want the same thing. A true title contender.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonFromVA View Post
    So you exaggerated your insult? And that makes it more appropriate, how?

I've explained to you many times why the Cavaliers would willingly lessen their chances.

Nobody is asking you to budge, and nobody needs a "chart" to understand odds & percentages, and nobody is even asking you to understand why a GM and an owner would consider other factors besides this. The question is why do you keep going out of your way to insult people you think disagree with you?

Me? I'm not chasing anything. Our players are playing their collective asses off even though in your mind it means nothing. Go figure. I support their efforts, rather than your opinion that they should lay down.

I wasn't aware I had "supporters". Each person has their own opinion on the topic and if you want to argue one of their points, take it up with them.

I've never argued we should add a veteran to make a run, I've argued we should be willing to take on an overpaid veteran that'd likely improve our record if we got back a significant asset in addition such as a lottery pick or a promising young player.

Except for those of us dreaming of him slipping all the way to the Laker's pick ...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ajz20 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,808 Times in 4,207 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
    The same Warriors that went 42-40, got in as the 8th seed and were bounced in the 2nd round? And who have only made the playoffs once in the last 15 years? I guess we have a different defition of the word quality. If that's the best example you have, then I'd say the point stands.
    So quality means what exactly? Just some fluid term that can fit whatever you want it to mean? I figured beating the 67 win Mavericks and making it to the 2nd round was quality.

Here's another team, what about the Celtics team that made it to the Conference Finals led by two guys who seemingly shouldn't fit together at all: Pierce and Walker. I mean there are plenty of examples out there of teams who have two guys who are star players and both need the ball in their hands to play well. One in Miami right now.

And again, like the rest of my post pointed out, just because something is hard to do or hasn't been isn't the best reason to avoid it. Again, show me a team that has won a title in the last 20 years in which its PG was the best player. Does that mean we should just give up on the Kyrie thing before we even give it a chance to win a title?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. MacPhisto View Post
    I still hold that Kevin Love is a cancer. This team will win 50 without him, it will win 45 with him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Here's another team, what about the Celtics team that made it to the Conference Finals led by two guys who seemingly shouldn't fit together at all: Pierce and Walker. I mean there are plenty of examples out there of teams who have two guys who are star players and both need the ball in their hands to play well. One in Miami right now.
    Neither Walker or LeBron are guards. And undersized guards, at that.

To answer your other question: The Pistons in 2004 and Spurs in 2007 won the title with the PG earning Finals MVP and being the most important player on the floor.