Page 364 of 1098 FirstFirst ... 264314354362363364365366374414464864 ... LastLast
Results 5,446 to 5,460 of 16456

Thread: 2012 Draft

Thanks
    Thanked 3,999 Times in 1,619 Posts

Default Re: 2012 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by RealKingofCleve View Post
    If he has a chance to work his way into the mid-1st then he certainly has enough talent for someone to take a chance on him before the end of the 2nd. Ultimately I think he'll come back and be OSU's best player next year and work his way into the late lottery next year.

Btw, how impressive was Kawhi Leonard's size/ball handling and he was a mid first. I would rather have a guy like Thomas.
    Leonard had shown himself to be a far better defender than Thomas ever has and Leonard went 15th in one of the weakest draft classes in recent memory whereas this years' is considered strong.

Also, just because somebody can work their way into the mid-first with another year of school doesn't mean they should go any earlier this year. Adonis Thomas could be a top 5 pick next year, but if he came out now he'd be an early 1st.

Deshaun has a lot left to prove.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,816 Times in 1,335 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wreck View Post
    I swear I remember seeing a DX 2013 mock with White going right around 20.
    ya +1. i looked out of curiosity immediately after the uk game.

also, i don't know who caused the rise in use of the word 'hater' but i want to choke them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Triumph36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Czvosec View Post
    Not a Buck hater. I've stuck up for Sullinger while others bashed him. Just not as high on Thomas as others.

I could be wrong. This is just a message board, after all.

Also, how am I a Buck hater for not liking Thomas' NBA potential?
    Don't take it personal. It was the craft and Thomas sequence that was in my memory. A lot of posters on this board are pretty negative about Sullinger, but I think he is going to surprise some folks.

I am not some Buckeye homer. I went to school in Cleveland and rarely went to OSU football games. But I am a basketball fan in Ohio, which as you know can be challenging. I lived in Carolina for a decade, so I know what I am missing. I appreciate the resurgence in the program since Motta came on, just like I am very happy to see Dan Gilbert create a solid organization for the cavs.

I think OSU does not get the same respect as future nba players that some of the other programs do, when at least in the Thad Matta era, I think they are one of the top programs in the country. I look at this crop of excellent teams and I think OSU is definitely a top four quality team. They are going to have to get past UNC and UK very likely to win it, and that is a crap shoot in any case, but if you look under the hood, this group of players is pretty good. It will be interesting to see if they can play at the next level.

And to the Dukie about leonard single handedly getting his team to a 2 seed, you mean like Draymond Green? Oh wait, michigan St was a one seed... And Thomas is a good defender. If he stays healthy next year he will go in the first round, and if the bucks are any good, he has a shot at a lottery pick.
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit - Aristotle as quoted by Shaq..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CleveRocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,544 Posts

I have a soft spot for Sullinger. He's extremely skilled for a guy his bulk and fights hard. I think he can add enough range on his jumper to hit an NBA 3 consistently and wouldn't be surprised if he was able to get a better NBA body (ala Love and Haslem) as he's shown he'll put the work in. Not saying he'll be Kevin Love in the NBA but if he's willing to put the work in, I'm actually more impressed with Sullinger in college then I was with Love when he was coming out of UCLA. We'll see how he measures out at the combine

Also love the fact he is a true post player and against even bigger players he's got some nice floaters/hooks to go over the top. Feel this is really underrated as I've previously mentioned currently he gets swarmed in college downlow (OSU is not a great 3 point shooting team, teams gameplan to double him, the college zone rules) . In the NBA with a guy like Irving he'll have much more space to work with.
    Last edited by Pioneer10; 03-24-2012 at 10:29 PM.
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pioneer10 For This Useful Post:

Savior of Humanity InBoobieWeTrust's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,130 Times in 1,403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer10 View Post
    I have a soft spot for Sullinger. He's extremely skilled for a guy his bulk and fights hard. I think he can add enough range on his jumper to hit an NBA 3 consistently and wouldn't be surprised if he was able to get a better NBA body (ala Love and Haslem) as he's shown he'll put the work in. Not saying he'll be Kevin Love in the NBA but if he's willing to put the work in, I'm actually more impressed with Sullinger in college then I was with Love when he was coming out of UCLA. We'll see how he measures out at the combine

Also love the fact he is a true post player and against even bigger players he's got some nice floaters/hooks to go over the top. Feel this is really underrated as I've mentioned in the past as he gets swarmed right now in college (OSU is not a great 3 point shooting team, teams gameplan to double him, the college zone rules) downlow. In the NBA with a guy like Irving he'll have much more space to work with.

This.

I have and will continue to stick to my assertion that Sullinger is a walking double double and is going to be a nightmare for a lot of NBA teams who are going to pass on him. If he goes anywhere past 7 or 8 somebody is getting a steal.

Rookie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    And to the Dukie about leonard single handedly getting his team to a 2 seed, you mean like Draymond Green? Oh wait, michigan St was a one seed... And Thomas is a good defender. If he stays healthy next year he will go in the first round, and if the bucks are any good, he has a shot at a lottery pick.
    burn???

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RealKingofCleve View Post
    Well you've proven yourself a hater as you've said Ohio State would get bounced in the second and only have a decent shot against UNC or Kansas.
    I'm sure this is a kidding sort of thing. I'm having trouble figuring out how to respond, really. Please tell me you're kidding. I was an OSU fan when Jerry Lucas played there for crying out loud.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,437 Posts

I met the greatest OSU player ever recently, Jerry Lucas. He said that Deshaun Thomas was going to have a better NBA career than Jared Sullinger. He said that Sullinger only had one move and is overrated. Take that for what it's worth.

Rookie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by guitarlifter View Post
    I met the greatest OSU player ever recently, Jerry Lucas. He said that Deshaun Thomas was going to have a better NBA career than Jared Sullinger. He said that Sullinger only had one move and is overrated. Take that for what it's worth.
    I think this is the traditional thought process for a kid Sully's size/ position vs a kid Thomas' size/ position.

My personal opinion is that Thomas really needs to work on his handle and his range, as he'll need to be a SF in the NBA. But we all know the kid can REALLY score...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,308 Times in 939 Posts

Bradley beal the anti clutch because of 1 game, sully only having one move .. Hell is going on in here

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 3 Da Hard Way For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

former players dont make good scouts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by trapalizer View Post
    former players dont make good scouts.
    That's a fallacious statement because the fact of a person being a former player does not automatically make one a bad scout. It's the person's judgment in itself that makes a person a good or bad scout. Even then, it's still an inductive argument to say that anyone is a good or bad scout because it's only based on how many times they were right or wrong. It still doesn't meant that they will be right or wrong the next time. Therefore, one cannot dismiss one's judgment on talent based on their history of being a former player.

Also, if former players don't make good scouts, then you should be shitting your pants for the Cavs' future because Z is currently acting as a scout of sorts for us. Aren't you worried about him? So who should we have scouting? Metrics analysts and mathematicians? I think a combination of both is the best approach personally. You have the wisdom and experience of former players, and then you can use the empirical data from metrics analysts.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,308 Times in 939 Posts

Z played in the 3 point line era... Seems kinda odd for some old fart alumni to disrespect one of the schools biggest stars ever.. Debating on him as a nba prospect is one thing , but overrated? Fuck outta here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Da Hard Way View Post
    Z played in the 3 point line era... Seems kinda odd for some old fart alumni to disrespect one of the schools biggest stars ever.. Debating on him as a nba prospect is one thing , but overrated? Fuck outta here
    There's no proof that Sullinger will be great or not so great in the NBA, so I'd reserve making statements with absolute certainty until things have played out. We can only speculate, but time will tell.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,352 Times in 3,649 Posts

Oy, this is a pet peeve of mine when it comes to evaluating players.

It's the same argument you here in favor of Carmelo Anthony being the "best pure scorer in the league" is because he can score in a lot of ways. LeBron James, on the other hand, can't score in as many ways and doesn't have as many moves. Therefore, LeBron is not a better scorer.

But this doesn't matter, because what LeBron James does is more unstoppable than what Carmelo does and it allows him to score at a higher, more effecient rate, even if he doesn't have the same diversity of moves that Carmelo does. It simply doesn't matter.

Same goes for Sullinger. Why would I care if a guy has 265436 moves and another guy only has 1 move, if the ugy with 1 move does his 1 move so well that no one can stop it and he ultimatley scores at a higher rate and more effeciently that the guy with all the moves?

Now, maybe Sullinger only have one move means he'll really struggle in the NBA, but that sure as hell doesn't make him an "overrated" college player, because his one move can't be stopped in college.
    Quote Originally Posted by David.
    Idiot