Page 367 of 1098 FirstFirst ... 267317357365366367368369377417467867 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,505 of 16456

Thread: 2012 Draft

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,553 Posts

Default Re: 2012 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post
    Howard was 240 when he graduated HS at 18.

He's now 265.

Davis was 200 when he graduated HS and is now 220.

I have a great deal of doubt that he can put on another 35-45 lbs.
    This bet would be pretty much impossible to carry out, but I'd bet that, if I were personally assigned to Davis as his strength and conditioning coach and nutritionist, I could put at least 35 lbs of good weight on the guy within a year especially at his height. I'm very involved in the field of exercise science (I have a degree in it and am still considering grad school for it), and I promise you that Davis could get to a solid 265. Davis was about 208 when he graduated, btw. I also believe that Davis weighs more than 220. He weighed that at the beginning of the season. He's put on 5-10 lbs since then from what I've seen.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,941 Times in 1,805 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitarlifter View Post
    This bet would be pretty much impossible to carry out, but I'd bet that, if I were personally assigned to Davis as his strength and conditioning coach and nutritionist, I could put at least 35 lbs of good weight on the guy within a year especially at his height. I'm very involved in the field of exercise science (I have a degree in it and am still considering grad school for it), and I promise you that Davis could get to a solid 265. Davis was about 208 when he graduated, btw. I also believe that Davis weighs more than 220. He weighed that at the beginning of the season. He's put on 5-10 lbs since then from what I've seen.
    The 5-10 lbs you see is just the added weight from the camera.

Blue Donkey Kong Champion Ocean Force Champion Cell Defense Champion Bird Saver Champion Jigsaw: Rocky Waters Champion Brave Old World Champion Jigsaw: Boats And Fire Hydrant Champion Jigsaw: Narrow Street Champion A Miko Tale Marionette: Another Tale Champion Balancing Mathai Champion Jigsaw: Red Toadstool Champion Jigsaw: Wood Formation Champion 4Blocks Champion CircusCircus Champion Jigsaw: Slate Mine Champion Spencer Hawes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,806 Times in 745 Posts

On average, a normal person can gain 2 lbs of muscle weight per month with an effective strength program, proper rest and diet. without using steroids or HGH like Dwight Howard. Just saying.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 531 Posts

Since we are not getting A. Davis anyways. I like our chances In the standings to get a top 5 pick If The Cavs get lucky. Otherwise we end up with that PF/C from Ohio State and put TT at C. In other words a Front of mix and match C/PFs In AV,Sullinger,TT,Samardo mixed with A the likes of casspi and Gee would be pretty scary. We hopefully find a good SG with our second first round pick and all the sudden you have Big man Front line for years to come and this does not rule out trades or FA signings. I love our future no matter what we can and will come out a better team no matter what I have faith In this FO.
    #WeAllFromCleveland

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,553 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MattyFos View Post
    The 5-10 lbs you see is just the added weight from the camera.
    I don't know if you're being serious, but he certainly has put on a bit of weight since the season started. Not a lot, but some.

Quote Originally Posted by blue_kahuna View Post
    On average, a normal person can gain 2 lbs of muscle weight per month with an effective strength program, proper rest and diet. without using steroids or HGH like Dwight Howard. Just saying.
    Is there any proof to this claim? Do people say this about people like Dwight and LeBron because they're bigger and stronger than everyone else? Or is it an excuse for themselves? And is the comment on the 2 lbs of muscle a month directed toward those who doubt that people can put on weight that quickly or toward people like me who believe that 2 lbs a month is on the low end and that much more muscle gain per month is possible? Is this average an average for beginners in weight lifting or an average spanning between beginners and 30 year veterans in weightlifting who have reached their genetic limit? For a beginner, much more muscle gain is possible per month. For an intermediate weightlifter, 2 lbs sounds reasonable per month. For a veteran, depending on how close one is to their genetic limit, 5 lbs a year is considered serious progress. For some, a lb or two is great. Those would be guys who have been lifting for over a decade with the specific purpose of putting on as much muscle as possible. But, at that point, you're getting to a size that's much bigger than what a basketball player needs to be. I'd consider Davis to definitely be in the beginner range for a weightlifter.

Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    Since we are not getting A. Davis anyways. I like our chances In the standings to get a top 5 pick If The Cavs get lucky. Otherwise we end up with that PF/C from Ohio State and put TT at C. In other words a Front of mix and match C/PFs In AV,Sullinger,TT,Samardo mixed with A the likes of casspi and Gee would be pretty scary. We hopefully find a good SG with our second first round pick and all the sudden you have Big man Front line for years to come and this does not rule out trades or FA signings. I love our future no matter what we can and will come out a better team no matter what I have faith In this FO.
    We got Kyrie on the same chances that we have now, and it's possible to move up as far as 4th before the lottery in this draft realistically. I don't understand this defeatists' attitude when the chances are certainly there.

Blue Donkey Kong Champion Ocean Force Champion Cell Defense Champion Bird Saver Champion Jigsaw: Rocky Waters Champion Brave Old World Champion Jigsaw: Boats And Fire Hydrant Champion Jigsaw: Narrow Street Champion A Miko Tale Marionette: Another Tale Champion Balancing Mathai Champion Jigsaw: Red Toadstool Champion Jigsaw: Wood Formation Champion 4Blocks Champion CircusCircus Champion Jigsaw: Slate Mine Champion Spencer Hawes's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,806 Times in 745 Posts

I don't know if you're being serious, but he certainly has put on a bit of weight since the season started. Not a lot, but some.

Is there any proof to this claim? Do people say this about people like Dwight and LeBron because they're bigger and stronger than everyone else? Or is it an excuse for themselves? And is the comment on the 2 lbs of muscle a month directed toward those who doubt that people can put on weight that quickly or toward people like me who believe that 2 lbs a month is on the low end and that much more muscle gain per month is possible? Is this average an average for beginners in weight lifting or an average spanning between beginners and 30 year veterans in weightlifting who have reached their genetic limit? For a beginner, much more muscle gain is possible per month. For an intermediate weightlifter, 2 lbs sounds reasonable per month. For a veteran, depending on how close one is to their genetic limit, 5 lbs a year is considered serious progress. For some, a lb or two is great. Those would be guys who have been lifting for over a decade with the specific purpose of putting on as much muscle as possible. But, at that point, you're getting to a size that's much bigger than what a basketball player needs to be. I'd consider Davis to definitely be in the beginner range for a weightlifter.

We got Kyrie on the same chances that we have now, and it's possible to move up as far as 4th before the lottery in this draft realistically. I don't understand this defeatists' attitude when the chances are certainly there.
    I'm no expert but I believe 2 lbs of muscle per month is on the high end for someone who is starting out. That's normal progress, meaning under the bell curve. Of course you're gonna have those genetic freaks who can build muscle much more easy than the average joe. Hence you don't see a plethora of people working out for one year and they all look like they can be on the cover of GQ magazine. And about the Dwight Howard thing, I was just fucking around lol. I'm just jealous of his physique.

Rookie
    Thanks

Oh dear lord, we've gotten to CV penis-measurements.

As an MD who used to be the team physician for the New Orleans Voodoo (Arena League) and an advisor to the team physician for the Saints, I guess I'm probably totally useless in this discussion. I'm not going to get into it, but the likelihood that 35-45 lbs on Davis' frame, esp during the season, would be productive, is minimal...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,472 Posts

He's now 265.

listed weights are *always* accurate tho

eta: to clarify, i don't think davis will ever be able to put on enough weight to play center full-time. i guess he could put on some and a team could stick him at center anyway but that would be suboptimal at best.

he's an absurdly skinny PF who will eventually get big enough to be able to make a case for DPOY at PF. expecting him to put on enough to play center just isn't realistic and imo, wouldn't be the best for his career/probability of reaching his ceiling.

eta2: and am i the only one who initially thought NewOrlns was Eli?

Thanks
    Thanked 30,577 Times in 9,744 Posts

Oh dear lord, we've gotten to CV penis-measurements.

As an MD who used to be the team physician for the New Orleans Voodoo (Arena League) and an advisor to the team physician for the Saints, I guess I'm probably totally useless in this discussion. I'm not going to get into it, but the likelihood that 35-45 lbs on Davis' frame, esp during the season, would be productive, is minimal...
    A witch doctor!
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

BET SLOTS FULL- 6/28/2014

Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko, MalTalm, pr26. Vindicate2, Warren G

Thanks
    Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,009 Posts

He's now 265.

You're comparing apples and oranges right there. Anthony Davis had a late growth spurt and went from 6'3" to 6'10" very late in his HS career.

It's tough to put on weight while you're still growing. Now that he's stopped it wouldn't be surprising if he could put on another 30-40 lbs especially given his broad frame and the facilities that will be available to him.

Thanks

A top 5 pick in this draft would be amazing to say the least. I have to say I'm pulling for either MKG or Drummond. Scott will be drooling over the idea of coaching a player like MKG,who only turned 18 6 months ago. And for all his failure to dominate consistently, Drummond is such a beast of a prospect at the weakest position in the league that I just can't see how you can pass up that kind of talent.

After the workouts the board will likely change.Guys like MKG excell in the individual workouts, and could put himself as high as number 2.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sam_slam911 View Post
    A top 5 pick in this draft would be amazing to say the least. I have to say I'm pulling for either MKG or Drummond. Scott will be drooling over the idea of coaching a player like MKG,who only turned 18 6 months ago. And for all his failure to dominate consistently, Drummond is such a beast of a prospect at the weakest position in the league that I just can't see how you can pass up that kind of talent.

After the workouts the board will likely change.Guys like MKG excell in the individual workouts, and could put himself as high as number 2.
    He's already that high.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 1,030 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
    eta2: and am i the only one who initially thought NewOrlns was Eli?
    No, you are not the only one. He seems to have his attitude. But, with better language skills.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,786 Times in 1,885 Posts

Looking forward to the games today. Lots of eventual draft picks on watch.

Thanks

4.6 blocks per game, 1.9 fouls per game

that is just so ridiculous.