Page 367 of 1098 FirstFirst ... 267317357365366367368369377417467867 ... LastLast
Results 5,491 to 5,505 of 16456

Thread: 2012 Draft

  1. #5491
    Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    4,328
    Thanks
    8,351
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,553 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post
    Howard was 240 when he graduated HS at 18.

    He's now 265.

    Davis was 200 when he graduated HS and is now 220.

    I have a great deal of doubt that he can put on another 35-45 lbs.
    This bet would be pretty much impossible to carry out, but I'd bet that, if I were personally assigned to Davis as his strength and conditioning coach and nutritionist, I could put at least 35 lbs of good weight on the guy within a year especially at his height. I'm very involved in the field of exercise science (I have a degree in it and am still considering grad school for it), and I promise you that Davis could get to a solid 265. Davis was about 208 when he graduated, btw. I also believe that Davis weighs more than 220. He weighed that at the beginning of the season. He's put on 5-10 lbs since then from what I've seen.

  2. #5492
    Ballplayer MattyFos.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    5,563
    Thanks
    13,060
    Thanked 3,941 Times in 1,805 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by guitarlifter View Post
    This bet would be pretty much impossible to carry out, but I'd bet that, if I were personally assigned to Davis as his strength and conditioning coach and nutritionist, I could put at least 35 lbs of good weight on the guy within a year especially at his height. I'm very involved in the field of exercise science (I have a degree in it and am still considering grad school for it), and I promise you that Davis could get to a solid 265. Davis was about 208 when he graduated, btw. I also believe that Davis weighs more than 220. He weighed that at the beginning of the season. He's put on 5-10 lbs since then from what I've seen.
    The 5-10 lbs you see is just the added weight from the camera.

  3. #5493
    Blue Donkey Kong Champion Ocean Force Champion Cell Defense Champion Bird Saver Champion Jigsaw: Rocky Waters Champion Brave Old World Champion Jigsaw: Boats And Fire Hydrant Champion Jigsaw: Narrow Street Champion A Miko Tale Marionette: Another Tale Champion Balancing Mathai Champion Jigsaw: Red Toadstool Champion Jigsaw: Wood Formation Champion 4Blocks Champion CircusCircus Champion Jigsaw: Slate Mine Champion Spencer Hawes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    4,162
    Thanks
    2,982
    Thanked 1,806 Times in 745 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Draft

    On average, a normal person can gain 2 lbs of muscle weight per month with an effective strength program, proper rest and diet. without using steroids or HGH like Dwight Howard. Just saying.

  4. #5494
    Count Duckula. Snarly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3,086
    Thanks
    1,283
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 531 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Draft

    Since we are not getting A. Davis anyways. I like our chances In the standings to get a top 5 pick If The Cavs get lucky. Otherwise we end up with that PF/C from Ohio State and put TT at C. In other words a Front of mix and match C/PFs In AV,Sullinger,TT,Samardo mixed with A the likes of casspi and Gee would be pretty scary. We hopefully find a good SG with our second first round pick and all the sudden you have Big man Front line for years to come and this does not rule out trades or FA signings. I love our future no matter what we can and will come out a better team no matter what I have faith In this FO.
    #WeAllFromCleveland

  5. #5495
    Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Space
    Posts
    4,328
    Thanks
    8,351
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,553 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by MattyFos View Post
    The 5-10 lbs you see is just the added weight from the camera.
    I don't know if you're being serious, but he certainly has put on a bit of weight since the season started. Not a lot, but some.

    Quote Originally Posted by blue_kahuna View Post
    On average, a normal person can gain 2 lbs of muscle weight per month with an effective strength program, proper rest and diet. without using steroids or HGH like Dwight Howard. Just saying.
    Is there any proof to this claim? Do people say this about people like Dwight and LeBron because they're bigger and stronger than everyone else? Or is it an excuse for themselves? And is the comment on the 2 lbs of muscle a month directed toward those who doubt that people can put on weight that quickly or toward people like me who believe that 2 lbs a month is on the low end and that much more muscle gain per month is possible? Is this average an average for beginners in weight lifting or an average spanning between beginners and 30 year veterans in weightlifting who have reached their genetic limit? For a beginner, much more muscle gain is possible per month. For an intermediate weightlifter, 2 lbs sounds reasonable per month. For a veteran, depending on how close one is to their genetic limit, 5 lbs a year is considered serious progress. For some, a lb or two is great. Those would be guys who have been lifting for over a decade with the specific purpose of putting on as much muscle as possible. But, at that point, you're getting to a size that's much bigger than what a basketball player needs to be. I'd consider Davis to definitely be in the beginner range for a weightlifter.

    Quote Originally Posted by Snarly View Post
    Since we are not getting A. Davis anyways. I like our chances In the standings to get a top 5 pick If The Cavs get lucky. Otherwise we end up with that PF/C from Ohio State and put TT at C. In other words a Front of mix and match C/PFs In AV,Sullinger,TT,Samardo mixed with A the likes of casspi and Gee would be pretty scary. We hopefully find a good SG with our second first round pick and all the sudden you have Big man Front line for years to come and this does not rule out trades or FA signings. I love our future no matter what we can and will come out a better team no matter what I have faith In this FO.
    We got Kyrie on the same chances that we have now, and it's possible to move up as far as 4th before the lottery in this draft realistically. I don't understand this defeatists' attitude when the chances are certainly there.

  6. #5496
    Blue Donkey Kong Champion Ocean Force Champion Cell Defense Champion Bird Saver Champion Jigsaw: Rocky Waters Champion Brave Old World Champion Jigsaw: Boats And Fire Hydrant Champion Jigsaw: Narrow Street Champion A Miko Tale Marionette: Another Tale Champion Balancing Mathai Champion Jigsaw: Red Toadstool Champion Jigsaw: Wood Formation Champion 4Blocks Champion CircusCircus Champion Jigsaw: Slate Mine Champion Spencer Hawes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    4,162
    Thanks
    2,982
    Thanked 1,806 Times in 745 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by guitarlifter View Post
    I don't know if you're being serious, but he certainly has put on a bit of weight since the season started. Not a lot, but some.



    Is there any proof to this claim? Do people say this about people like Dwight and LeBron because they're bigger and stronger than everyone else? Or is it an excuse for themselves? And is the comment on the 2 lbs of muscle a month directed toward those who doubt that people can put on weight that quickly or toward people like me who believe that 2 lbs a month is on the low end and that much more muscle gain per month is possible? Is this average an average for beginners in weight lifting or an average spanning between beginners and 30 year veterans in weightlifting who have reached their genetic limit? For a beginner, much more muscle gain is possible per month. For an intermediate weightlifter, 2 lbs sounds reasonable per month. For a veteran, depending on how close one is to their genetic limit, 5 lbs a year is considered serious progress. For some, a lb or two is great. Those would be guys who have been lifting for over a decade with the specific purpose of putting on as much muscle as possible. But, at that point, you're getting to a size that's much bigger than what a basketball player needs to be. I'd consider Davis to definitely be in the beginner range for a weightlifter.



    We got Kyrie on the same chances that we have now, and it's possible to move up as far as 4th before the lottery in this draft realistically. I don't understand this defeatists' attitude when the chances are certainly there.
    I'm no expert but I believe 2 lbs of muscle per month is on the high end for someone who is starting out. That's normal progress, meaning under the bell curve. Of course you're gonna have those genetic freaks who can build muscle much more easy than the average joe. Hence you don't see a plethora of people working out for one year and they all look like they can be on the cover of GQ magazine. And about the Dwight Howard thing, I was just fucking around lol. I'm just jealous of his physique.

  7. #5497
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    85
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 187 Times in 33 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by guitarlifter View Post
    This bet would be pretty much impossible to carry out, but I'd bet that, if I were personally assigned to Davis as his strength and conditioning coach and nutritionist, I could put at least 35 lbs of good weight on the guy within a year especially at his height. I'm very involved in the field of exercise science (I have a degree in it and am still considering grad school for it), and I promise you that Davis could get to a solid 265. Davis was about 208 when he graduated, btw. I also believe that Davis weighs more than 220. He weighed that at the beginning of the season. He's put on 5-10 lbs since then from what I've seen.
    Oh dear lord, we've gotten to CV penis-measurements.

    As an MD who used to be the team physician for the New Orleans Voodoo (Arena League) and an advisor to the team physician for the Saints, I guess I'm probably totally useless in this discussion. I'm not going to get into it, but the likelihood that 35-45 lbs on Davis' frame, esp during the season, would be productive, is minimal...

  8. #5498
    Veteran Triumph36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,946
    Thanks
    1,165
    Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,472 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post
    Howard was 240 when he graduated HS at 18.

    He's now 265.

    Davis was 200 when he graduated HS and is now 220.

    I have a great deal of doubt that he can put on another 35-45 lbs.
    listed weights are *always* accurate tho

    eta: to clarify, i don't think davis will ever be able to put on enough weight to play center full-time. i guess he could put on some and a team could stick him at center anyway but that would be suboptimal at best.

    he's an absurdly skinny PF who will eventually get big enough to be able to make a case for DPOY at PF. expecting him to put on enough to play center just isn't realistic and imo, wouldn't be the best for his career/probability of reaching his ceiling.

    eta2: and am i the only one who initially thought NewOrlns was Eli?

  9. #5499
    Or Also Schtick The Oi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    30,226
    Thanks
    26,807
    Thanked 30,577 Times in 9,744 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post
    Oh dear lord, we've gotten to CV penis-measurements.

    As an MD who used to be the team physician for the New Orleans Voodoo (Arena League) and an advisor to the team physician for the Saints, I guess I'm probably totally useless in this discussion. I'm not going to get into it, but the likelihood that 35-45 lbs on Davis' frame, esp during the season, would be productive, is minimal...
    A witch doctor!
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

    Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

    BET SLOTS FULL- 6/28/2014

    Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko, MalTalm, pr26. Vindicate2, Warren G

  10. #5500
    Valuable Trading Chip D-Wreck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Kent, OH
    Posts
    5,086
    Thanks
    4,799
    Thanked 5,259 Times in 2,009 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post
    Howard was 240 when he graduated HS at 18.

    He's now 265.

    Davis was 200 when he graduated HS and is now 220.

    I have a great deal of doubt that he can put on another 35-45 lbs.
    You're comparing apples and oranges right there. Anthony Davis had a late growth spurt and went from 6'3" to 6'10" very late in his HS career.

    It's tough to put on weight while you're still growing. Now that he's stopped it wouldn't be surprising if he could put on another 30-40 lbs especially given his broad frame and the facilities that will be available to him.

  11. #5501
    Rising Star sam_slam911's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,920
    Thanks
    155
    Thanked 130 Times in 71 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Draft

    A top 5 pick in this draft would be amazing to say the least. I have to say I'm pulling for either MKG or Drummond. Scott will be drooling over the idea of coaching a player like MKG,who only turned 18 6 months ago. And for all his failure to dominate consistently, Drummond is such a beast of a prospect at the weakest position in the league that I just can't see how you can pass up that kind of talent.

    After the workouts the board will likely change.Guys like MKG excell in the individual workouts, and could put himself as high as number 2.

  12. #5502
    Veteran Triumph36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,946
    Thanks
    1,165
    Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,472 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by sam_slam911 View Post
    A top 5 pick in this draft would be amazing to say the least. I have to say I'm pulling for either MKG or Drummond. Scott will be drooling over the idea of coaching a player like MKG,who only turned 18 6 months ago. And for all his failure to dominate consistently, Drummond is such a beast of a prospect at the weakest position in the league that I just can't see how you can pass up that kind of talent.

    After the workouts the board will likely change.Guys like MKG excell in the individual workouts, and could put himself as high as number 2.
    He's already that high.

  13. #5503
    Sports Archaeologist Scholar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    2,127
    Thanks
    10,987
    Thanked 3,175 Times in 1,030 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph36 View Post
    eta2: and am i the only one who initially thought NewOrlns was Eli?
    No, you are not the only one. He seems to have his attitude. But, with better language skills.

  14. #5504
    Time For A Title Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Best of the Land
    Posts
    8,932
    Thanks
    2,937
    Thanked 4,786 Times in 1,885 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Draft

    Looking forward to the games today. Lots of eventual draft picks on watch.

  15. #5505
    Veteran Triumph36's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,946
    Thanks
    1,165
    Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,472 Posts

    Default Re: 2012 Draft

    4.6 blocks per game, 1.9 fouls per game

    that is just so ridiculous.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •