View Poll Results: If it were up to you, would there be an NBA season?

Voters
140. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! I need to see the Irving-Thompson duo!

47 33.57%
  • Yes, but only because Irving needs a year to get on the NBA learning curve before he can be dominant

13 9.29%
  • No, it will be tough, but it could pay off for them in the long run

63 45.00%
  • Undecided

17 12.14%
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Is it Indians season yet? warddj86's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 495 Posts

Default Do you want an NBA season?

Normally, I wouldn't bother to ask a Cavs fans message board on their level of desire about an upcoming season.

However, if the 2012 season doesn't play out, the NBA Draft lottery is then repeated, and the Cavs have a great chance of picking up either Rivers, Beal, Drummond etc.

With the additions of Thompson, Casspi, and Irving, I don't see the Cavs being the second-worst team in basketball if there is a next year, so I was just wondering.

If it were up to you, and nobody were to find out, would you want to sacrafice a sub-par year of Cavs basketball for the potential of several great years in the future?

BTW, I have been on the fence about this, just so nobody thinks I'm one way or the other.

Thoughts?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warddj86 For This Useful Post:

Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,393 Times in 4,788 Posts

Default Re: Do you want an NBA season?

Of course I want an NBA season. Everybody except for Tracy McGrady wants an NBA season. Here's what I want even more: A system that does not allow three stars and a member of management to collude and plan behind closed doors, using people like Worldwide Wes as the man more powerful than David Stern and all the GMs combined in getting things done. I'd trade the season for a system that works.
    “It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners.” ~Harold Ramis

Thanks
    Thanked 10,114 Times in 2,601 Posts

I'd like a season but I will gladly forfeit it for the combination of 1) a fixed system, and 2) the 2nd best shot at the #1 pick again. If we have the 2nd best odds again, we're guaranteed one of Rivers, Beal, Drummond, Barnes, or Gilchrist (assuming they live up to the hype). I'd give up the season to strengthen my favorite team in the long run.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to chrisrich91 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,900 Times in 1,481 Posts

I want a season because I am scared the NBA will do what the NHL did. In which case, we would be fucked.

But I also want to see irving/thompson. I think TT is going to surprise a lot of people.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to cafemerald For This Useful Post:

A winning record? Pshaw! Backstage's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 727 Posts

I expected it to be overwhelmingly yes. I have come to find myself entirely disappointed.
    Tribe Time = Now O'Clock

Thanks
    Thanked 21,542 Times in 4,825 Posts

Where is the "Of course, because the Cavs are winning it all" option?

I want the owners/players to resolve their differences and for the season to start before January. i don't see any guaranteed advantage for not having a season. It's not like the Cavs or anyone else are guaranteed top picks in the next draft. We have no idea how those will work out.

If the owners/players are stupid enough not to resolve their differences, then I'll wait til next year, but I won't be happy about it. Who is voting for no season and why? What good is that? Only good thing I see is one more year where the Heat don't win a championship. I admit that's not a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by warddj86 View Post
    However, if the 2012 season doesn't play out, the NBA Draft lottery is then repeated, and the Cavs have a great chance of picking up either Rivers, Beal, Drummond etc.?
    This is not true (at least it's not true yet). The league is under no obligation to order the 2012 draft according to the 2010-2011 results. I guess this is highly skewing the poll.
    Last edited by wuck; 08-28-2011 at 11:43 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wuck For This Useful Post:

A winning record? Pshaw! Backstage's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 727 Posts

I just want to know how it pays off for them in the long run. If the system is fixed, neat! If not, then what? The owners are going to get what they want. While they will seem to compromise, they are definitely going to come out more ahead than the NFL owners. I don't want to wait another year of basketballlessness just to see another lottery. I'd rather still have something to talk about for that time period, see Kyrie and Tristan grow, see if Casspi enlivens the Jewish community of Cleveland, and see if we can't make a trade or two to get some more young pieces.

Not having a season? What're you going to do, watch hockey? Take up a new hobby? Those voting "no" don't understand how rough it will be on you as a fan without a season. I would rather there be a next year so we can still say "there's always next year."
    Tribe Time = Now O'Clock

Thanks

No, LBJ another year ringless.

Gives Cavs a top 5 pick in a solid draft.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 21,542 Times in 4,825 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nime View Post
    If it gave the Cavs a top 5 pick in the draft, I would be all for it. But there's no telling if it will.

There has been no announcement or confirmation on how the draft will work if the season gets cancelled. They could do it like the NHL did, and the Cavs would get a pick in the middle or the late first round. What good is that? The draft order hasn't been determined. No way we can count on it to deliver a high pick. I would much rather play the season, which is far more likely to deliver a top pick.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wuck For This Useful Post:

The LeFraud Interaction
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,861 Times in 997 Posts

How depressing it is to even think about going through a winter in Ohio without any NBA basketball. What the fuck do you do when you are snowed in and nothing to watch? I'm not watching hockey. Sorry. There's OSU basketball I guess. They should be pretty good. Hard to believe the NBA and the players really don't seem to give a shit about the fans. If they do they have a funny way of showing it. I'm guessing they take the fans for granted and they think the fans will support the NBA no matter what. I'm sure that's true but it still sucks.

Thanks

Had to go "Undecided". Only because I will be bored as fuck all winter long (especially weekedays, we did get lucky and will have football this year). But it sure is a nice perk to think if we do miss a year, the Cans should fare well...

Thanks

On one hand I really could live without an NBA season. I'm tired of the players running the league, the stupid owners who talk about losing money and then give ridiculous contracts to play who don't deserve them, and I'm tired of David Stern. Plus if it means we can get another high draft pick without having to sit through another shitty season then I'm all for it.

However, no season would mean that a lot of people who make their living working for the companies involved with the NBA would be out of work. The players and owners will still be dumb and rich regardless of what happens but I don't want the little people to suffer because of both sides stupidity. Plus let's be honest, by week 10 of the NFL season the Browns will probably be out of contention for a playoff spot and I'll need something else to talk about.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,129 Posts

No, LBJ another year ringless.

^^^

If an older woman who goes after younger men is a "cougar," is an older man who goes after younger boys a "nittany lion?"

Thanks
    Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,129 Posts

I'm sort of fed up with this age of basketball, too. It needs to return to the 80s/90s when players weren't best friends. Give them a year off without pay to think about it.

If an older woman who goes after younger men is a "cougar," is an older man who goes after younger boys a "nittany lion?"

Snitches get stitches Hydroponic3385's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,270 Times in 638 Posts

LBJ another year ringless.

Cavs top 5 pick in a solid draft.
    Call me greedy, but I want both of these AND some basketball to watch this season.

I vote for a shortened season (being optimistic yet realistic here), Cavs very high lottery pick (and acquire another nice 1st rounder for good measure), and the cHeat losing again (Mavs? Bulls? Lakers? Thunder?). Then bring on a 2012-2013 season with an Irving/Drummond/Thompson/wing core and a cHeat team blaming each other for their continued failures.