Page 79 of 175 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,185 of 2613
    Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,209 Times in 1,375 Posts

Default Re: Cleveland Indians Offseason News, Notes, and Rumors

Cross Yonder Alonso off the list. He was just dealt to San Diego along with Edinson Volquez, Yasmani Grandal, and Brad Boxberger for Mat Latos.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sgm405 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 783 Posts

Huber is right, b00bie- settle down and back off on the happy pills. You can't be going bonkers over guys like Aaron Cunningham like that. You just look foolish...

I wanted to see the Tribe snag Cunningham last offseason. A year late, imo (25 is the general age when prospect status ends) but I think he has a solid all-around game and he has good pop. I would have rather gotten ahold of Kyle Blanks from the Padres, but the price for Cunningham makes it a palatable risk. I think he comes into camp competing for an OF spot- whether that is LF or utility will depend on how he does.

As for the other two moves.... Pie is possibly depth for Columbus. I think the opt-out at the end of spring training is a silly one- clubs are finalizing their bigleague rosters, why on earth, unless Pie goes off in spring training, would they drop someone off their 25-man to add him? The opt-out makes much more sense at the end of May, when injuries have begun to spring up. I guess my question is, why would Pie refuse to go to Columbus at the end of spring training and opt out... just to end up with another AAA team? I see this happen alot, it just doesn't make sense to me. It just strikes me as a silly leverage attempt, or maybe a 'save face' provision, in a contract. Either way, I will be shocked shitless if he make this team out of spring training. He does provide some depth at Columbus if he sticks around (which he would be dumb not to with Sizemore's injury past).

Lopez is like Cunningham- I wanted him last offseason to keep 2B warm for Kipnis. Another guy worth a flyer, imo, although I have no idea how he makes the team. He doesn't replace Donald, because he can't play SS. Does he displace Hannahan, which would be a shame but let's be honest- Lopez was excellent at 3B his lone year there in '10 and if he has more offensive ability than Hannahan. Plus he is right-handed. That may be how he makes the team, so it will be interesting to watch who does better in spring training. Hate to see Hannahan go, but his role is what Lopez was signed to compete for.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgm405 View Post
    Cross Yonder Alonso off the list. He was just dealt to San Diego along with Edinson Volquez, Yasmani Grandal, and Brad Boxberger for Mat Latos.
    Uh, you got a source for that, bub? And DONT say incarceratedbob....

OK, tracked down your source, Ken Rosenthal...

WOW. Go get Anthony Rizzo ASAP. My brain is swimming over that deal. I'll comment in the other thread... don't know whether to high five the Padres GM or smack my forehead.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macbdog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,133 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MoFloDeepintheQ View Post
    I don't think anybody is claiming that any moves the Indians have made this season are the "best possible thing that can happen".

I just don't think getting a solid starter in a trade for nothing & paying him just $5 M; trading for a 25 yr old OF who has some potential; and signing OF depth & a utility guy is anything to get up in arms or pissed off about.
    Your definition of "solid starter" is different from mine.

Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,209 Times in 1,375 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by macbdog View Post

WOW. Go get Anthony Rizzo ASAP. My brain is swimming over that deal. I'll comment in the other thread... don't know whether to high five the Padres GM or smack my forehead.
    From Ken Rosenthal: "Rival Exec on Padres' next move: Trade Rizzo. No doubt."

Thanks
    Thanked 13,590 Times in 5,403 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by macbdog View Post

Padres have done an unbelievable job of retooling their farm system.

Casey Kelly, Grandal, Alonso, Rizzo, Lyriano, Boxberger.

My goodness.

They probably won't lose much if Volquez is healthy. Latos is a good young player, but certainly has his issues with command and certainly won't benefit from moving from one of the best pitchers parks to one of the worst.

Wouldn't shock me to see the Reds really regret this deal three years from now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    agreed, not only Rizzo but Blanks is available as well

if we got Cunningham for a minor leaguer

we could swing a nice deal of Rafael Perez for one of the above young bats
    What good is Rafael Perez to them...?

They're looking toward the future, one year from a slightly above average lefty reliever should be of no interest to them.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,676 Times in 2,573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MoFloDeepintheQ View Post
    Again, I don't see where anybody was doing this...
    Quote Originally Posted by b00bie View Post
    As evidenced by this post, clearly huber is right.

I got way too excited over this acquisition.

I'll try and calm down from here on in.
    When did I say in my post that everyone was getting over excited? I just said I won't be. I just hate it when the defenders jump on people that aren't satisfied for only making small moves when we're supposed to be all in this year. We as fans have the right to scrutinize and demand a big trade/move on years like this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by huber14 View Post
    When did I say in my post that everyone was getting over excited? I just said I won't be. I just hate it when the defenders jump on people that aren't satisfied for only making small moves when we're supposed to be all in this year. We as fans have the right to scrutinize and demand a big trade/move on years like this.
    Probably when you said we were popping champagne over Aaron Cunningham.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,133 Times in 3,446 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sgm405 View Post
    From Ken Rosenthal: "Rival Exec on Padres' next move: Trade Rizzo. No doubt."
    Can we get him? please?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CavsFanLA View Post
    Word has it they are looking for bullpen help doesn't have to be Perez . . .. smartass
    Which word has that?

Camp Invitee
    Thanks

They probably won't lose much if Volquez is healthy. Latos is a good young player, but certainly has his issues with command and certainly won't benefit from moving from one of the best pitchers parks to one of the worst.

Latos' road splits are actually better than his Petco numbers because he is so ground ball heavy. GABP won't be a problem for him and in fact might improve his numbers. And we Reds fans no longer have to watch Volquez implode. Below is some food for thought when it comes to Latos. I think any team would like that in their rotation.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...&postcount=181

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Porkopolis For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Porkopolis View Post
    Latos' road splits are actually better than his Petco numbers because he is so ground ball heavy. GABP won't be a problem for him and in fact might improve his numbers. And we Reds fans no longer have to watch Volquez implode. Below is some food for thought when it comes to Latos. I think any team would like that in their rotation.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...&postcount=181
    He's not really a ground ball pitcher...but his strikeout numbers are impressive.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,484 Times in 2,892 Posts

HAI I DUNNO BOUT U GUIZE BUT I AM POPPIN CHAMPAGNE OVER THESE NEW ADDITIONS

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pyro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Padres have done an unbelievable job of retooling their farm system.

Casey Kelly, Grandal, Alonso, Rizzo, Lyriano, Boxberger.

My goodness.

I am going to play the advocate of the devil and say I think the Padres have done a solid job, like Shapiro did when he demolished the 2008 team... but not great, and unfortunately, not enough. In fact this deal looks similar to what the Tribe was trying to do when it dealt Robbie Alomar- they went for both sort-term and long-term help when they probably should have just focused on the latter.

I think Volquez is Carmonaesque fools' gold at this point. If Latos' 2.8 BB/9 is control issues, then Volquez is apparently pitching with a blindfold on (career 4.84 walks per 9). He hasn't been fully healthy in 3 years. Last year was his 'bounce back' year from TJ, and he was still awful and had the same lack of command he had prior to surgery. He looks more like Victor Zambrano every day, and if he does anything for the Padres it will be as a Petco guy who keeps the hitters to within

We all love Yonder Alonso, but the Padres already had a legit 1B prospect in Anthony Rizzo. Even the fangraph guys pointed out that Alonso will actually be more expensive than Rizzo going forward d/t the bigleague deal he signed with the Reds. Other teams now know the Pads have to make a deal, since neither can play a position other than 1B. Nice pickup, but it doesn't really help unless the Pads can quickly flip Rizzo before his value stagnates.

Grandal was an excellent snag- best player in the deal. Good all-around defensive catcher who can hit. Boxberger is a nice bullpen prospect, but is still a bullpen prospect.

I think the Reds will feel just fine in 3 years, frankly. Alonso's value to them was in his ability to secure them a front-line starter. He did that. Losing Grandal will hurt, but then they already have Moscosco who is bigleague ready. Volquez? Even if he suddenly finds control and pans for the Pads, he won't be there for more than a year. He was gonzo from Cincy longterm anyway. Boxberger? Again, reliever prospect. Would suck to see him pan somewhere else, but if the team is really ruing his loss that is b/c they did a shitty job of finding relievers elsewhere. Like how the Cards aren't sweating the loss of Chris Perez.

As for the Pads, well, I have to see what they get for Rizzo, because that is technically part of the deal since Alonso is kind of redundant imo. This deal centers around Grandal, Alonso, and Boxberger, and if Volquez can find any value before 2013. The Volquez thing is what really has me scratching my head, but I guess we will see.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macbdog For This Useful Post: