Default Re: Kyrie Irving

Quote Originally Posted by JonFromVA View Post
    Dude?

Say hello to the usenet and the google groups archive of it:

http://groups.google.com/groups/sear...hors=&safe=off

>What do y'all think of a Tom Guliotta and Cherokee Parks for Kobe Bryant
    >(and perhaps a pick) type of trade? It would be consistant with McHale's
    >kiddie korb movement. Face it, you're winning will be when Marbury and
    >Garnett mature, why not add another kiddie to the krowd?

>rob

This deal would make absolutely no sense at all. Why would the wolves need a
    small forward such as Kobe when they already have Garnett and Gugs to play both
    forward postions. Besides, it is my opinion that the wolves wish to
    improve next year instead of building for way in the future. Kobe Bryant
    will not make an impact this year.. probably not for another three years if
    at all.. i don't believe that he will ever be an impact player and I feel
    sorry for the Hornets wasting their pick in the draft.
    Kobe and Garnett!! Man what a team that could have been.

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 659 Posts

Dude?

There are some real gold in those old usenet archives.

Check this one out...

April 16, 1985 - 1:32 p.m.

Thread: Sonics win draft slot!

Yahoo! The Sonics made it! For a while there I was afraid that they would do something dumb like start to win. Now they have a one in seven chance of getting the mondo pick, no. 1.

Why should Seattle trade the pick if they get it? So far, all the comments have been to the effect that it would be extremely stupid to pass on Patrick Ewing because he may become one of those once in a lifetime players, like Kareem. Maybe he will, but it will be at least a couple of years before he plays at that kind of level. At the moment, Ewing is a great defensive player. In time he may be a great offensive player. However, Seattle doesn't need defense, it needs offense. Sure, you could draft Ewing and start a frontline of Ewing, Sikma, and Tom Chambers. That would be
    one of the best defensive frontlines in the league, but it wouldn't score any points.

Seattle seems to be in desperate need of some offensive players. Henderson is a good playmaker, Sikma rebounds well and puts in his 15-20 points a game, but there is a dearth of pure shooters on the team. Seattle needs a shooting guard and a forward who rebounds, hustles, and gets his shots in. Who better than Danny Ainge and Kevin McHale? This is just one suggestion. The idea is that it would be stupid to draft a center when you have one of the best centers in the league.

Look at Portland. They could have drafted Michael Jordan, but they took Bowie instead. Everyone said that they were making a mistake. No mistake. Portland needs another guard like it needs a hole in the head. Yes, Jordan has had a great rookie season, but Bowie has done well and the Trailblazers are looking strong for the playoffs.

Same situation for Seattle. The Sonics don't need another center. If Sikma is looking a little worn around the edges, it's because he must carry the team too much of the time. He has a lot of good years of b-ball left; no need to replace him yet. If they get the number one pick, they should trade it. They could trade down and pick up a high draft number and a premier player in return. Or they can go looking for veterans. My only concern is that the Sonic front office has an absolutely horrendous record when it comes to trading. They're so stupid they would probably trade a no. 1 pick for Dan Issel.

Bill Baker
    tektronix!reed!wab

Thanks

Dude?

OMG! The internet existed in 1996?!

The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 659 Posts

Best Kyrie mix I've seen thus far...

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,553 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack View Post
    Best Kyrie mix I've seen thus far...

Kyrie just reeks of MVP-type talent. I can't believe some of the things I saw in that video. I can't wait to see what he does next season and beyond. Does anyone here think that Kyrie can ever make any of the All-Defensive teams in the future? I bet that Kyrie's defense is going to drastically improve over these few years under Scott. Just look at Chris Paul. Hell, look at Alonzo Gee. The guy's going to be averaging over two steals a game by next season if he keeps going the way he is.

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1 View Post
    Kobe and Garnett!! Man what a team that could have been.
    He refused to play anywhere but LA so never would have happened

BARNES BRIGADE $ Donator Pavlovic3Ball's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
    Exactly. Threatened to play in Italy if any ended up going anywhere but LA. Calipari and the Nets were going to take him and got scared away.

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    OMG! The internet existed in 1996?!
    Yeah, I think the usenet is primarily known now as the place where people can pirate binaries without bothering with torrents ... but it still goes on as a general purpose message center.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,908 Times in 2,497 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides View Post
    is this actually true? This seems to be more in the myth status. The Lakers traded Divac for the pick the night before the draft and didn't even tell charlotte until it was time to pick who they wanted. It's not even clear they moved Divac to go after Kobe, but rather to go after Shaq.

FROM DA GRITTY INNER CITY I-77 NORTH's Avatar
    Thanks

He never said "I'm only playing for LA" - nor did he threatened to not play. Kobe was actually ready to play for Charlotte - in fact, it was closer to his Philly hometown so he really didn't have a problem with Charlotte. Lucky him tho - the lakers took a chance in giving up a pretty good Divac for him and nailed it.

As far as Kyrie having a huge impact as a rookie, the last guy who's made an impact this big was actually lebron James. Before that, it was probably Tim Duncan or Allen Iverson. Kyrie is a special one.

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KI4MVP View Post
    is this actually true? This seems to be more in the myth status. The Lakers traded Divac for the pick the night before the draft and didn't even tell charlotte until it was time to pick who they wanted. It's not even clear they moved Divac to go after Kobe, but rather to go after Shaq.
    Well, I'm not sure who he was willing to play for, but there were a ton of teams he was refusing to visit and threatened to not play for.

Certainly the Divac deal was primarily about freeing up cap space to sign Shaq, but Kobe shouldn't have fallen that far in the first place. He wasn't some unknown.

Click that link to the old usenet posts about Kobe from draft time and read some of them ... it wasn't some myth invented after the fact, but a hot topic for every team considering drafting him.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I-77 NORTH View Post

As far as Kyrie having a huge impact as a rookie, the last guy who's made an impact this big was actually lebron James. Before that, it was probably Tim Duncan or Allen Iverson. Kyrie is a special one.
    Chris Paul disagrees...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,651 Times in 2,569 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I-77 NORTH View Post
    No. Blake Griffin, Derrick Rose and Chris Paul all helped increase win totals from the past year their rookie season

Thanks
    Thanked 6,908 Times in 2,497 Posts

based on PER, among active players, only Blake, CP3 and Duncan had better rookie seasons than Irving (21.2). LeBron's rookie PER (18.3) is 11th best among active players - between AK47 and Kevin Love (also 18.3)

With 20+ games left a strong finish to the season could still pull Kyrie ahead of Blake, CP3 and Duncan. He should have the ball in his hands more with Sessions gone. The question is will that impact his efficiency.

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by huber14 View Post
    No. Blake Griffin, Derrick Rose and Chris Paul all helped increase win totals from the past year their rookie season
    lol both Blake and Rose were drafted to decent teams(talent wise). Only one of those player who has that case is CP3.