Page 233 of 726 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243283333 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,495 of 10876

Thread: Kyrie Irving

All Star
    Thanks

Default Re: Kyrie Irving

Irving needs to find another injury. The stakes have risen.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,896 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack View Post
    Uh-huh...

This is maybe Kyrie's most dynamic offensive games of the season. Of course, he has had more explosive outings, but the sheer variety of ways he scored, here... His game is so fucking advanced.
    I showed my friend this video. He's pretty knowledgeable about the NBA. He's not really a fan of one team, he just likes watching basketball. So no bias. This is what he said:

"Am I the only one who sees a bit of modern Kobe in Irving's play?"

At first I was like, woah. Thats the first time I've heard that comparison. But if you think about it, it does make some sense. He doesn't have the athleticism of young Kobe, but he has the shot making ability of old Kobe.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,323 Times in 536 Posts

That video only showed some of Kobe's game, but that's not the Irving we've seen all season. After thinking about what he does well and how he does it, I think I got the comparison.

He's part Anti-Isiah, part Anti-Price. Now you're probably wondering why "Anti"? I'll start the list:

1. High IQ - Both Price and Isiah had that element
    2. Size - This is where Irving's a larger version of these guys and can do more because of that
    3. Lack of athleticism - Doesn't have Thomas' explosion, but rather only due to the toe hurting his abilities there; Price is somewhat similar in this regard
    4. Speed - "Change of Pace" is what Isiah was able to do quite well, which requires talent and athleticism to begin with, so Price doesn't hold a candle here
    5. Shooting - Price is a dazzler with the shot, while Isiah did well partially
    6. Tricky handles - That's the type that Thomas had
    7. Tricky passes - Again, like Isiah
    8. Streak shooting - Like both, but capable of getting even hotter like Price
    9. Pick and Roll - Again, like both
    10. Dribbling the opponent to sleep, using IQ - Just like Thomas

Irving's more of a natural point guard than we thought. He has excellent court vision and uses his "bring the ball up and down for layup" in a specific way to get opponents off. It's a difficult trick to perform because you can travel if you're not careful. That's something he's better than both Price and Thomas at. But he also can use the angles to make passes, so he see's things everywhere and can also make passes on the floor like Thomas. What do you guys think?

Guesstimate: 40% Thomas, 30% Price, 20% Both, 10% Superior
    Last edited by rabman_gold; 04-25-2012 at 06:37 PM.
    (Reserved for future Animated Signature-that-won't-slow-you-down)

Magic Number Thread:
    http://realcavsfans.com/showthread.p...in-May-2011...

The latest updates are noted within the context.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rabman_gold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,803 Times in 1,896 Posts

If we win tonight because you Kyrie, I'm going to be mad at him.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,481 Times in 3,908 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by K2I View Post
    Wait... what?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by K2I View Post
    Don't worry i've got the reverse jinx in the bag bro. At least I hope I do. God I don't want to sport a Heat avy.

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rabman_gold View Post
    What do you guys think?

Guesstimate: 40% Thomas, 30% Price, 20% Both, 10% Superior
    Kyrie scores the ball almost effortlessly, but until he starts dishing more assists and running the team better he shouldn't be mentioned with those guys. If someone wants to dig up the team assists when Kyrie plays and when he doesn't it would be interesting to see, but I'm afraid it's not much different.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 7,412 Times in 2,191 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mdog1 View Post
    Nash is not overrated! I feel very obligated to say that though being the boards resident Canuck.

I can see Kyrie being like Nash, but even if he doesn't improve defenisvely he is already better on that end than Nash. As for the play making ability, I don't want to put a cap on a rookie as talented as Kyrie, but play making is not just about the amount of assists you get, and court vision isn't something that you just pick up as you play.

And don't get me wrong Lee I do believe that if Kyrie hadn't been surrounded by a bunch of DLeague bench players this year he would have averaged double digit assists. Doesn't mean I am right though.
    One, nash was not born in Canada, so you better hitch your wagon to TT;s career.

Two, i dont know if I see Kyrie as a double digit assist guy. 8-9 i think is his max. Maybe in 5 or so years, but I think putting a good ballhandling wing next to him is crucial for us to get the most out of his talents. He is way too good of a shooter to not play him some off the ball too.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee For This Useful Post:

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    One, nash was not born in Canada, so you better hitch your wagon to TT;s career.

Two, i dont know if I see Kyrie as a double digit assist guy. 8-9 i think is his max. Maybe in 5 or so years, but I think putting a good ballhandling wing next to him is crucial for us to get the most out of his talents. He is way too good of a shooter to not play him some off the ball too.
    I think Kyrie's more likely to break 30 ppg than he is 10 apg. He's a fucking monster when it comes to scoring, and he is showing the ability to quickly pick up new scoring methods at a high efficacy.

Let's try to double wins warddj86's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,200 Times in 516 Posts

14. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to warddj86 For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Two, i dont know if I see Kyrie as a double digit assist guy. 8-9 i think is his max.
    Mark was typically dishing out 7 or 8 in his prime except a couple of seasons when he hit 9 and 10. It usually does take a while for a young PG to really learn how to run a team - and the more attention Kyrie draws the more open looks he'll be able to create.

But with a system like the Princeton, it's the team assists that really matter and whether Mark was dishing out 8 or 10 assists per game, the Cavs were generally one of the top teams in the assist category. We'll have the final numbers soon enough, but the Cavs are currently sitting at 21st in the league in team assists .vs. 20th last season. So, we're not making much progress ... at least yet.

Hopefully we can find Kyrie some guys at least as talented as Daugherty, Hot Rod, Ehlo, Nance/Harper to play with...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,419 Times in 1,664 Posts

Irving's body control does remind me of Kobe and Ginobili. Those are the other two guys who are able to twist there bodies going full speed and get shot off at weird angles.
    This is the type of thing that nothing at the combine really measures: grading coordination and agility is a lot harder to test then speed and jumping ability
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Pioneer10 For This Useful Post:

Team Player Ovum Defender Champion Bubble Lanes Champion Mouse Blocks Champion halloween beatdown Champion Weave Champion Crazy Penguin Champion Redbeard's Treasure Champion Pirate Bubble Champion supergoat52's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 257 Posts

“Coach Scott told me before the game I was going to get 10 minutes and I got 9:47. He owes me 13 seconds.” -- Kyrie Irving

I love this guy.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,484 Times in 1,285 Posts

this is hilarious, and a little sad:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...12-rookie-year

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MRMsix6 For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MRMsix6 View Post
    this is hilarious, and a little sad:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...12-rookie-year
    Is Windhorst so important now to the WWL that he gets 2 votes?