Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 439 Posts

Default Gee Wiz...what's Alonzo's ceiling???

I'm not going to pretend that he'll be anything more than a good role player, but if he keeps improving the way that he's showing in the small sample size so far, he could be a good player off the bench for a contending team.

Right?

What do you guys think -- does he look good because our team is crap, or is he really improving?

I think he certainly has the athleticism for his position, but can his skill continue to develop much further?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WhoWeAre For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,956 Times in 2,041 Posts

Default Re: Gee Wiz...what's Alonzo's ceiling???

Gee? Hmm... Trevor Ariza guy on a championship team? Off the bench to play solid D and give the illusion of stretching the floor?

Thanks
    Thanked 24,070 Times in 5,322 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeAre View Post
    What do you guys think -- does he look good because our team is crap, or is he really improving?
    Both.

I like how he gives a lot of effort on both sides of the court, even if he doesn't always know exactly what he is doing. That will improve with playing time. I think he could take more advantage of his strength--he could post up some defensive mismatches--but am glad he is making the most of his athleticism.

His recent 3-point shooting is a bonus. If he could develop a mid-range jumper with consistency, that would be a huge thing for the Cavs.

Highest ceiling? Maybe a backup wing on a good team but he has a long ways to go. But to even be able to ask that question suggests how much he worked since the end of last year. On this year's Cavs team, he has played better than either our starting SG or our starting SF, and he has closed out a lot of games. Byron likes him and is giving him time and props. Seems like he will be given every opportunity to improve his game this year. It may take another off-season to see whether he can really solidify some of his fundamental skills.

I do think this thread is overdue. After some headscratching play in preseason, he has been one of the more consistent performers on the Cavs since the regular season started. He plays like he belongs, and knows he belongs, in the current rotation.
    Last edited by wuck; 01-02-2012 at 02:27 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 439 Posts

If Gee and Samuels can continue to develop and be solid pieces, that will drastically speed up our rebuild. And then when you think of our trade possibilities, and Erden back to health...

This is shaping up to be a great rebuild year no matter how you slice it -- regardless of our record.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WhoWeAre For This Useful Post:

Reading and reacting Chocomatch Champion Adam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,069 Posts

gee ceiling is going to be limited by his ball handling. He is not a good enough shooter to be able to play a big rotation part off the bench for a contending team so needs to develpo his ball handling so he can get to the foul line more frequently. In a couple of year he should be able to make improvements across the board and as long as he realises his role will be defense first he will be just fine.
    'The truth is in the middle' apparently

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

If he added the ability to dribble himself into a decent off dribble shot id say he can be an all star calibur guy. He has the athleticsm for defense and slashing. They WILL come but his J looks clunky tho getting better he still cannot get himself a good J in midrange.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Housh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,101 Times in 1,476 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeAre View Post
    If Gee and Samuels can continue to develop and be solid pieces, that will drastically speed up our rebuild. And then when you think of our trade possibilities, and Erden back to health...

This is shaping up to be a great rebuild year no matter how you slice it -- regardless of our record.
    No, it won't really drastically speed up the rebuild. Role player are easy to find. It's the stars that aren't. Unfortunately the latter win titles.

He's also only played 1 good SF thus far. Let's see how he does against the Pierce's, Melo's, etc of the league. Those are the ones you go through in the playoffs.

Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Phills14's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,571 Times in 1,927 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Housh View Post
    If he added the ability to dribble himself into a decent off dribble shot id say he can be an all star calibur guy. He has the athleticsm for defense and slashing. They WILL come but his J looks clunky tho getting better he still cannot get himself a good J in midrange.
    Not a chance. A good career for him would be a key reserve on a playoff team.

Reading and reacting Chocomatch Champion Adam's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,069 Posts

I was thinking if he could be deshawn stevenson type guy without the Abe Lincoln tat and craziness it would be a coup for the cavs
    'The truth is in the middle' apparently

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,047 Times in 904 Posts

He looks pretty good. I agree with the posters who say he needs better handles. He is a slasher, but It is harder to get to the rim in th NBA, unless your handles are pretty good. if he has some more good shooting nights, the lane should open up a bit. There is no reason he can't become a fringe starter/6th man type. He seems like he just needs to refine his game because he even posted up D Will, so he has some moves we don't know about.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,808 Times in 1,040 Posts

At best he could be an 8-10 rotation guy on a good team.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MYoung23 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 668 Posts

I can't believe the words All Star and Alonzo Gee were used in relation to each other. However, I do think that if he continues to improve as much as he did this off season he has a chance to be a dependable back up wing who could stretch the floor, finish around the rim, and play good defense.

He still can't really create anything off the dribble, but I have been impressed with his spin moves/weird floater things he does in the lane using his athleticism. Other than our rookies, i've been paying close attention to Gee. I like what I see.

Thanks

Reminds me a bit of raja bell... I think defense is going to determin ceiling minutes. Physically, he has the tools. Defensive effort will determine value...
    We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit - Aristotle as quoted by Shaq..

Thanks
    Thanked 3,633 Times in 1,153 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Housh View Post
    WOW, you guys are in dream land. I dont even know if Thompson will get to an all star game any time soon. Classic homerism.. Turning an average player into an all star. We go 2-2 and an average player becomes an all star

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ajz20 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajz20 View Post
    WOW, you guys are in dream land. I dont even know if Thompson will get to an all star game any time soon. Classic homerism.. Turning an average player into an all star. We go 2-2 and an average player becomes an all star
    We go 2-2 and you're calling Gee average?

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CavsFaninNJ For This Useful Post: