Page 145 of 257 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,175 of 3845
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 657 Posts

Default Re: 2012 NFL Draft Rumor Thread

2012 draft visits and workout tracker

Posted by Evan Silva on March 29, 2012, 10:25 AM EDT
    This page will be continuously updated leading up to the draft on April 26.

* = private workout only; not a visit to team facility.

+ = BOTH private workout and visit to team facility.

Workout and visit dates, if available, are in parentheses.

Cleveland Browns

Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon (?/?).

LSU defensive tackle Michael Brockers (?/?).

LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne (?/?).

Michigan State quarterback Kirk Cousins (?/?).

*Louisiana-Lafayette tight end Ladarius Green (3/?).

West Virginia linebacker Bruce Irvin (?/?).

Stanford offensive tackle Jonathan Martin (?/?).

Illinois defensive end Whitney Mercilus (4/1).

*Cincinnati running back Isaiah Pead (3/12).

+Alabama running back Trent Richardson (?/?).

*San Diego State punter Brian Stahovich (3/?).

+Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill (?/?).

Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden (?/?).

Virginia Tech running back David Wilson (?/?).
    Rest of the teams: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...rkout-tracker/

Our discoveries, after tracking pre-draft visits and workouts

Posted by Evan Silva on May 5, 2011, 2:25 PM EDT

For the last two offseasons, PFT has used the media and our own resources to track pre-draft visits and workouts. We’ve hoped to find a connection between those meetings and what happens on draft day.

Visits and workouts are often written off as smokescreens, routine due diligence, or mere medical checks by observers unwilling to put in the time necessary to track them.

But we are willing.

And here are our findings:

1. In 2011, twelve of the top-14 picks either worked out for or visited their team before the draft. The only players who did not work out for or visit the team they were picked by were Texans defensive end J.J. Watt and Jaguars quarterback Blaine Gabbert. Jags G.M. Gene Smith did personally attend Gabbert’s Insight Bowl game against Iowa, however, and the Texans don’t use pre-draft visits on first-round prospects. Which brings us to our next discovery.

2. Some teams don’t use any pre-draft visits on elite prospects. The Texans, Bears, Jaguars, and Packers concern themselves almost strictly with late-round, undrafted types when scheduling visits. For example, the player drafted earliest with whom we know Green Bay formally visited was Markell Carter, the 194th overall pick. The Raiders and Colts, for the most part, also fall into this category.

And either the Houston media is not at all concerned with reporting pre-draft visits and workouts, or the Texans just don’t have many of them. (Our guess is the former.) We counted a league-low six Texans pre-draft visits, and each team is allowed up to 30.

3. 21 of this year’s 32 first-round picks visited or privately worked out for the team that drafted them. One notable outlier was Seahawks tackle James Carpenter. “We tried staying under the radar with this guy,” Seattle G.M. John Schneider confirmed during Carpenter’s introductory press conference. “I told our group … we were very proud of them that his name never got out.” The Seahawks rated Carpenter as the No. 2 offensive lineman in the entire draft.

But the connection is still strong between first-round picks and pre-draft meetings. Throw out the Texans, Bears, Jaguars, Packers, and Colts for reasons mentioned in point No. 2 here, and there was a 77.8 percent chance that a team’s first-round selection officially visited with or privately worked out for the organization he landed in.

And that’s pretty substantial.

4. No team puts in more face time than the Patriots. Bill Belichick’s team has had more private workouts than any club in the NFL over the past two seasons. (Which is as long as we’ve been keeping track.)

5. The Broncos smokescreened the hell out of quarterbacks. It’s easy to say in hindsight, but here’s a look at QBs Denver showed “interest” in: Colin Kaepernick (both private workout and facility visit), Cam Newton (facility visit), Blaine Gabbert (visit), Jake Locker (private workout), and Christian Ponder (workout). The Broncos didn’t draft a single signal caller.

So we’ll know to be on our toes when trying to read into John Elway’s future visits and workouts lists.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-and-workouts/
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,490 Times in 1,669 Posts

I'd prefer Floyd but he'll go after #4 and before #22. I'm leaning Claiborne and Richardson at the moment

Wouldn't mind dropping down with the Rams and getting another pick while still getting one of the top 6 guys and letting them grab Blackmon.
    Official John Hughes Bandwagon!!!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,535 Times in 4,842 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cdt View Post
    I'd prefer Floyd but he'll go after #4 and before #22. I'm leaning Claiborne and Richardson at the moment

Wouldn't mind dropping down with the Rams and getting another pick while still getting one of the top 6 guys and letting them grab Blackmon.
    This.

Thanks

Cleveland Browns should take Tannehill, no big dropoff from RG3, says ESPN's Todd McShay
    Published: Friday, March 30, 2012, 1:43 PM Updated: Friday, March 30, 2012, 1:52 PM
    By Mary Kay Cabot, The Plain Dealer

AP
    Will the Browns draft Texas A&M quarterback Ryan Tannehill with the No. 4 overall pick?
    CLEVELAND -- Another top draft analyst agrees with NFL Network's Mike Mayock that Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill can be a franchise quarterback and that the Browns should draft him at No. 4.
    "I don't think the difference between Robert Griffin III and Tannehill is all that big, I really don't,'' ESPN's Todd McShay said on a conference call today. "I'd have a very difficult time passing on him at that No. 4 pick. I just think he has everything you look for in a future franchise quarterback if you develop him properly and you're willing to be patient.''
    McShay said Tannehill's stock is climbing so high that he's not sure if he'll be available at No. 4. The Dolphins are one team that might be interested in trading up for him.
    "It'll be interesting to see if Minnesota trades out and a team tries to trade in ahead of them, maybe Cleveland won't have a chance to get Tannehill at that No. 4 spot,'' said McShay. "I think it's going to be a huge internal struggle trying to figure out if they're going to go with Tannehill and if not, what do you do? I think the whole draft swings at No. 4.''
    He said he'd go with Alabama running back Trent Richardson over Oklahoma State receiver Justin Blackmon if Tannehill is gone at No. 4. But a franchise-type quarterback trumps those two positions if he's there, McShay said.
    "You can have Trent Richardson and he's going to be a phenomenal back,'' said McShay. "You can have Justin Blackmon, and he's probably going to be in that second tier of wide receivers in the NFL. and that's great, but they don't win Super Bowls. We haven't seen Adrian Peterson win a Super Bowl. We haven't seen Andre Johnson win a Super Bowl. You have a great quarterback you win Super Bowls and I think Tannehill has a chance - if developed properly and you're patient with him -- to become a great quarterback. That's kind of what they're up against.''
    McShay said he understands that Tannehill won't be ready to start from day one, but that Colt McCoy is professional enough to compete hard in the interim.
    "If you bring in Tannehill and you sit him ideally for a year or the majority of the year, and put him in toward the end of this year to get him some experience, I do think that now you're looking at an organization that has its future franchise quarterback, has a guy that has all the physical tools, the size the arm strength, the accuracy, which continues to improve, has the right mentality, can handle pressure, and has just intangibles through the roof,'' said McShay. "That turns everything around.''
    McShay said he's moved Tannehill up to No. 8 on his board after watching the rest of his film over the past four or five days/
    "In my mind he was a mid- to late- first-round prospect with a lot of upside, but when you start to look at it and you take your initial bias out of it, he has everything you look for,'' said McShay. "It took taking a step back and looking at everything I had down on paper on this guy to realize he belongs in the top 10 and he has a chance to be an elite quarterback in the NFL. I think he belongs in the top 10 and I'd have no problem pulling the trigger on this guy.''
    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/inde...ld_take_t.html
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

Its supposed to hurt RealKingofCleve's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 658 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damage View Post
    Victor Cruz
    Greg Jennings
    Jordy Nelson
    Wes Welker
    Steve Smith
    Vincent Jackson
    DeSean Jackson
    Antonio Brown
    Mike Wallace
    Brandon Marshall
    Marques Colston
    Steve Johnson
    Nate Washington

12 of the top 20 receivers (in terms of reception yards) were not drafted in the 1st round.
    2 of the top 20 were TE's
    6 (Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald, Roddy White, Dwayne Bowe, Hakeem Nicks) were 1st rounders.

I like Blankman. However, just because he may be the best WR in this class (which is arguable), it doesn't mean he warrants the 4th pick. And in my estimated opinion, he is, at best, Roddy White, who took 3 years to break out.
    Yes because the Browns are great at finding hidden gems

Thanks
    Thanked 1,793 Times in 812 Posts

yeah there is no difference between RG3 and tannehill other than RG3 has better arm strength, speed, accuracy, experience, intelligence, and actual production. but by golley tannehill has the right height and weight to be a successful QB. So basically the browns should take him at 4, because he looks the part.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bob2the2nd For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,900 Times in 1,481 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Damage View Post
    Victor Cruz
    Greg Jennings
    Jordy Nelson
    Wes Welker
    Steve Smith
    Vincent Jackson
    DeSean Jackson
    Antonio Brown
    Mike Wallace
    Brandon Marshall
    Marques Colston
    Steve Johnson
    Nate Washington

12 of the top 20 receivers (in terms of reception yards) were not drafted in the 1st round.
    2 of the top 20 were TE's
    6 (Calvin Johnson, AJ Green, Larry Fitzgerald, Roddy White, Dwayne Bowe, Hakeem Nicks) were 1st rounders.

I like Blankman. However, just because he may be the best WR in this class (which is arguable), it doesn't mean he warrants the 4th pick. And in my estimated opinion, he is, at best, Roddy White, who took 3 years to break out.
    Didn't know this guy declared for the draft?:

Game Changer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bob2the2nd View Post
    yeah there is no difference between RG3 and tannehill other than RG3 has better arm strength, speed, accuracy, experience, intelligence, and actual production. but by golley tannehill has the right height and weight to be a successful QB. So basically the browns should take him at 4, because he looks the part.
    I'm convinced that ESPN has it in for the city of Cleveland. If we take Tannehill at 4 (and he sits or busts), and everyone else we considered drafting pan out, it would be ESPN fodder for years to come.

They're just looking to add on to the rest of their shit on Cleveland footage. Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble, The Catch, The Jose Mesa, The Shot, Art Modell, and The Decision.......and now THE TANNEHILL. UGH!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,708 Times in 933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by speedyd718 View Post
    I'm convinced that ESPN has it in for the city of Cleveland. If we take Tannehill at 4 (and he sits or busts), and everyone else we considered drafting pan out, it would be ESPN fodder for years to come.

They're just looking to add on to the rest of their shit on Cleveland footage. Red Right 88, The Drive, The Fumble, The Catch, The Jose Mesa, The Shot, Art Modell, and The Decision.......and now THE TANNEHILL. UGH!!!
    It sure sounds like it with this absolutely ridiculous article. Hell, if he's THAT GOOD, we should be able to trade down and get a bunch of picks, right? I mean, he says he is almost as good RG III. Surely, we could trade down like 4 spots or so and get, at least, a 1st and 2nd round pick for our trouble. Of course, we all know that it is all bullshit and no one else is going to trade up to our spot, or Minnesota's, for the "privilege" of drafting Tannehill that high. Bunch of hacks with an agenda writing for that scrub network.

Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Phills14's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,568 Times in 1,663 Posts

Guys who shoot up the boards this late in the game scare me. I really like Tannehill and if he is a franchise QB he's worth the #4 pick. However, since he has such limited game experience at QB, his risk is incredibly high. I think at 22 he's worth the risk. Problem is he won't get past 8.

I would be happy with Tannehill at 22 or trading back into the 2nd round for Weeden if we are going to add a serious QB to challenge Colt. Anything other than that is not worth it as high as rd 2.

Thanks

I remember watching Jeff Fuller earlier in the year, trying to see if he was going to be worth a second round pick. I kept thinking, he always runs the same routes, and who's this scrub constantly throwing dumpoffs? It was Tannehill and I couldn't believe people were talking about him as a possible late first or second round prospect. So now Tannehill is having "great workouts", he's hyped all the way in the top 10 and McShay says we should take him at 4. Okay, I'm open-minded. Let's watch him again.

2010 VS LSU

I don't see it. Maybe he really improved this year though, right?

2011 VS OK St.

All I see is a raw guy with the tangibles that has been coached up a bit. He's locked in on one guy and his passes are to an area not a target. He gets the ball out fast with that throwing motion. There's a lot of poor decisions though. Not seeing it. I don't know what everyone else is seeing. That sure doesn't look like the hype though.
    Klaatu Barada Nikto

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,147 Times in 2,469 Posts

Tannehill + 2 years of development = probably an All Pro.

Can we be patient enough to sit a 4th overall pick?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Damage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 28,826 Times in 9,210 Posts

Hell no. What a wasted pick that would be at 4. Get a player that's ready to contribute at 4 and if this three year project is available with the second first-rounder, then consider it.
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Seizer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,147 Times in 2,469 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jigo_oi View Post
    Hell no. What a wasted pick that would be at 4. Get a player that's ready to contribute at 4 and if this three year project is available with the second first-rounder, then consider it.
    Agreed. We are in no position to take players who are either
    A. Projects who need to sit a year or 2
    B. Gamble's due to low productivity in college but great measurables
    C. Combine warriors
    D. 29 year old QB's.

The idea of Ryan Tannehill trumps the actual player. If this were 2009, I might think differently. Stakes are higher.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Damage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,934 Times in 500 Posts

This Browns interest in Tannehill seems like a smokescreen to get Miami nervous. Tannehill would be in an ideal situation as a Dolphin -- new coaching staff, his old college coach as the OC, two experienced QBs on the team ahead of him from whom he can learn. I think we have a player or two we would like at Miami's spot and we are trying to drive up the price for the pick, just like St. Louis did with the No. 2 selection. I hope we see a thousand articles like this -- feed the hype!
    Last edited by The Hill; 03-30-2012 at 04:39 PM.