Page 36 of 145 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,975 Times in 5,312 Posts

Default Re: Cavs Trade Deadline (discussion)

Quote Originally Posted by "Boobie" Gibson View Post
    Flooding all these threads with "I started thinking... I came up with this brilliant trade idea when I was playing with the trade machine..." is really starting to get old. Is there an end in sight.
    We've gotten some complaints about this very thing. I agree that posters (you know who I'm talking about) should show some restraint about these hypothetical, multi-team trade proposals (even if they are helpfully color coded). Some of that stuff will be better off living in the Trade Forum.

At the same time, it's not like there is a whole lot of real "trade" news going on. Anyway, use your discretion...

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to wuck For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

I was just reading Sam amicos article about the trade deadline and he said he's heard everyone on the kings roster is available except Thornton and cousins. Now I'm not advocating a trade with them or saying we have the pieces to deal with them but how would Tyreke fit in here? Could he play the off guard next to irving? Height wise it wouldn't be a problem, but is he a ball dominant guard? Just fun for discussion.

Rookie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mofire View Post
    I was just reading Sam amicos article about the trade deadline and he said he's heard everyone on the kings roster is available except Thornton and cousins. Now I'm not advocating a trade with them or saying we have the pieces to deal with them but how would Tyreke fit in here? Could he play the off guard next to irving? Height wise it wouldn't be a problem, but is he a ball dominant guard? Just fun for discussion.
    You don't even want to go there. Tyreke and Kyrie will not be able to coexist. Tyreke is like a homeless man's LeFlop. He is useless without the ball in his hands, and half the time makes dumb decisions with the ball. Now he might improve with a decent coach (maybe Smart will be able to do something with him) but right now pairing him with Kyrie would be a complete disaster.

Also, in general I don't really remember a successful backcourt in recent history with two 20+ ppg ball dominant guards. There are not enough shots to go around. The ideal pairing is small+big. The Cavs would be wise to focus on getting a dominant center to pair with Kyrie. TT will likely complete the frontcourt as the defensive PF, Wings are the easiest thing to obtain in the NBA. If the Cavs get a center with superstar potential, they will really be on the right track to contention.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teamballer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,800 Times in 1,894 Posts

Yeah fuck espn and their trade machine all it has lead to is ridiculous bullshit Nba 2k-like trade ideas

Just because the contracts match up doesn't mean it's a legit trade lmao

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,569 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mofire View Post

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Free Agency God For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teamballer View Post
    You don't even want to go there. Tyreke and Kyrie will not be able to coexist. Tyreke is like a homeless man's LeFlop. He is useless without the ball in his hands, and half the time makes dumb decisions with the ball. Now he might improve with a decent coach (maybe Smart will be able to do something with him) but right now pairing him with Kyrie would be a complete disaster.

Also, in general I don't really remember a successful backcourt in recent history with two 20+ ppg ball dominant guards. There are not enough shots to go around. The ideal pairing is small+big. The Cavs would be wise to focus on getting a dominant center to pair with Kyrie. TT will likely complete the frontcourt as the defensive PF, Wings are the easiest thing to obtain in the NBA. If the Cavs get a center with superstar potential, they will really be on the right track to contention.

I have to say that I agree with this 100%, which is why I think one of the Hornet rumors could be good for the team & Kyrie - having him play next to a vet center (since Wild thing is still MIA) would be ideal (of course the 1st isnt bad either).

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by teamballer View Post
    Also, in general I don't really remember a successful backcourt in recent history with two 20+ ppg ball dominant guards.
    Obviously you'd want them to have some ability to play off each other. Certainly Kyrie can do that as he's such a good shooter. Tyreke, otoh, just doesn't seem capable of adjusting his game (let alone shooting).

More than likely, a pair of 20 ppg scorers who teamed up wouldn't still be 20 ppg scorers after.

Heck, consider Parker and Ginobli. Either of those guys could be 20ppg scorers on another team, but they spread the shots around to make things work. I'm not sure Dumars and Thomas ever exceeded 20 ppg in the same season.

You just need the right guys.... anyway, it's irrelevent as just because the Kings may be open to talks involving Tyreke, that doesn't mean they're ready to give him away.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Rookie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JonFromVA View Post
    Obviously you'd want them to have some ability to play off each other. Certainly Kyrie can do that as he's such a good shooter. Tyreke, otoh, just doesn't seem capable of adjusting his game (let alone shooting).

More than likely, a pair of 20 ppg scorers who teamed up wouldn't still be 20 ppg scorers after.

Heck, consider Parker and Ginobli. Either of those guys could be 20ppg scorers on another team, but they spread the shots around to make things work. I'm not sure Dumars and Thomas ever exceeded 20 ppg in the same season.

You just need the right guys.... anyway, it's irrelevent as just because the Kings may be open to talks involving Tyreke, that doesn't mean they're ready to give him away.
    You make good points, and you're right that with the right players it could probably work, but I still maintain that a Kyrie and Tyreke pairing would be a disaster. Tyreke will be useless when Kyrie has the ball, and I would hate to see Kyrie waiting around for Tyreke to pound the ball for 20 seconds before making a forced pass for a last second contested jumpshot. Anyway, like you said, there is no chance of this happening so this is all purely theoretical.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to teamballer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts

Quiet before the storm...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to warriorsz32 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by warriorsz32 View Post
    Quiet before the storm...
    Or the quiet before the quiet

Thanks
    Thanked 6,474 Times in 2,884 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Seiklis View Post
    Or the quiet before the quiet
    Hopefully not.

Team Player
    Thanks

I don't think anything of significance will happen with the cavs at the trade deadline if I were a betting man. There just doesn't seem to be many options that are fits for our team. I just might expect a sessions trade and that's about all.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,416 Times in 1,664 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JonFromVA View Post

Billups and Hamilton worked as well. I think the key is you need one of the guys to be able to score and be effective w/o the ball. Hamilton certainly fits the bill and while Ginobili is good with the ball in his hands he's also ridiculously good at creating oppurtunities when off the ball (cuts well, gets boards, shoots off the catch).

One guy who seems to be one of these do everything types would have been Evan Turner. Would have been nice to see if the 76ers would have given him up for AV (I'm not even sure the 76ers would have done this and the cavs may have approached them and said no)

Tyreke though doesn't seem to fit the bill:
    While it's not known whether the Kings (14-27) have fielded calls regarding Tyreke Evans, it's safe to say the third-year player's long-term future with the team is uncertain.
    The 2009-10 Rookie of the Year is no longer considered the centerpiece of the Kings' new core, with that distinction clearly belonging to second-year center DeMarcus Cousins. Evans is eligible for an extension this summer but it's looking unlikely to be offered unless he shows major improvement.
    His poor outside shooting remains an issue, and Evans' role changed drastically last month when he was moved from the point guard spot to small forward. Coach Keith Smart is using him as a point forward at times, a move that was inspired both by the poor play of veteran small forward John Salmons and the surprisingly good play of rookie point guard Isaiah Thomas. But the 6-foot-6 Evans is struggling with the adjustment, in large part because he isn't used to playing off the ball so frequently or not having a significant size advantage over his counterpart. The presence of guard Marcus Thornton has changed matters, too, as he is leading the team in shots per game at 15.5 (to Evans' 15.2 and Cousins' 14.2).
    Evans, who has one season remaining on his rookie contract and could be a restricted free agent next summer, simply doesn't shine like he did in his debut. And if the Kings are convinced that Evans is likely gone after next season, they might be willing to move him for someone who can help expedite this slowest of rebuilding efforts.
    http://cnnsi.com/2012/writers/sam_am...ook/index.html
    There is a tension, peculiar to basketball, between the interests of the team and the interests of the individual. The game continually tempts the people who play it to do things that are not in the interest of the group.
    Michael Lewis

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pioneer10 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,357 Times in 593 Posts

Nothing is going to happen, like always, until hours before deadline.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,919 Times in 3,108 Posts

Right now the entire NBA is waiting for bigger chips to fall. Teams aren't viewing Sessions and Jamison as top options. Instead our pieces are fallback options. Therefore don't expect much movement from the Cavs end until Howard, Gasol, Rondo, etc future's are more clear. I'm sure the Cavs have deals on the table that can be completed with one phone call. That phone call won't come until Wed or Thurs.