Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,213 Times in 569 Posts

Default Re: It's fucking grilling season.

Anyone on here ever grill their crablegs? Apparently, its the new rage back home.
    "I'd rather fight somebody else on the other team than one of my teammates," Waiters said after practice. "That's the way it is. That's the way I was brought up. I feel as though we say we're family, then we're a family and I'm going to look out for you to the best of my abilities. All the other stuff is foolishness." - Dion Waiters

Thanks

I know the Propane vs Charcoal debate will go on forever. If you do use propane, though, here's a tip. Instead of switching the tank at Sheetz and spending 23 dollars to pick up 15lbs of propane, take your tank to somewhere like Tractor Supply or UHaul and get it filled. It's like 13 bucks to fill your tank completely. Helluva deal, plus you're getting about an extra 1/4 more propane.

Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,437 Times in 4,802 Posts

Give one, get one:

Ben: You were asking about chicken brines early in the thread... this one has been great this year:

One bottle of Margarita Mix (the mix, no booze)
    1/4 cup of salt
    ground pepper to your liking
    3-5 minced cloves of garlic
    One bunch of cilantro, chopped

If you like margaritas, you will like the way your chicken tastes after drinking margaritas overnight.

Okay, I have a four pound pork butt covered in rub on the smoker right now. I filled the charcoal chimney up, got it going real hot, and dumped soaked hickory chips on the coals. I'm a little worried I put too many wood chips on the coals and my fire will go out, but whatever.

How long should I let that bad boy sit on the grill before I flip it? How long do I let it go before I pull it out?
    “It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners.” ~Harold Ramis

Thanks
    Thanked 5,491 Times in 1,669 Posts

Keys I would gladly paypal you some $ if you could bundle some of these recipes in an email for me.....

I'm a novice at cooking but after Memorial day I need to buy a grill ASAP.
    Official John Hughes Bandwagon!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cdt View Post
    Keys I would gladly paypal you some $ if you could bundle some of these recipes in an email for me.....

I'm a novice at cooking but after Memorial day I need to buy a grill ASAP.
    I'm getting back into it after not having my own backyard for several years. I'm a whiz in the kitchen, but a few other posters have posted great advice on grilling in this thread so far.
    “It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners.” ~Harold Ramis

A year later
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Randolphkeys View Post
    I'm getting back into it after not having my own backyard for several years. I'm a whiz in the kitchen, but a few other posters have posted great advice on grilling in this thread so far.
    How about a "Cooking with Keys" thread? I'm looking to expand my skills from Indian food and you seem to know your shit.

Thanks

Damn, I know this isn't a grilling recipe, but it goes great with whatever you grill:

Watermelon and Cantaloupe Salad with Mint and Basil Vinaigrette Recipe : Giada De Laurentiis : Recipes : Food Network

Instead of adding a shot of amaretto, which is suggested, add a bottle of vodka and chill overnight. Boom, you have killer martinis for 6-8 people. Now if you will excuse me, I have to drink some water and get up enough energy to clean up the mess outside.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FiveThous View Post
    Anyone on here ever grill their crablegs? Apparently, its the new rage back home.
    I did it last Friday. It's a good idea to flash boil them first, but the flavor in the shells become intensified in the meat. I didn't taste smoke or grill flavor, but the seafood taste and sweetness in the crablegs were delicious. I'd suggest doing it for an appetizer along with something more substantial.

Here's my new favorite home made summer salsa, great with chicken and seafood on the grill:

Two avocados
    Three fresh tomatillos
    one mango
    one serrano pepper
    one large shallot
    one green onion
    Half a lime
    a fistful of organic cilantro
    salt and pepper

I know that is going to come to about ten bucks for a garnish, but trust me it's worth it. You end up with 4-6 cups of delicious. You can put that on bland unseasoned ground chuck patties and it will blow people's minds.

1. Peel the husk of the tomatillos, wash, and cut them in half. Put them in the oven with the serrano pepper at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Cut the serrano pepper in half and remove all or most of the seeds, depending on how much you like heat.

2. Dump them in a blender with a fistful of washed organic cilantro, green onion and the shallot, chopped up in manageable pieces. I know organic cilantro is more expensive, but I just read a study that the biggest health payoff for organic products over normal pesticide products are the leafy greens, and cilantro is numero uno for health benefits. Blend for 15-25 seconds. dump this loose jelly in a bowl.

3. Cut the mango and two avocados in half, separate from the pit, and cut the delicious meat of the fruit into cubes against the skin. Hollow out the skins using a tablespoon. Dump it into the bowl and salt and pepper to your liking, pour in the juice of half a lime.

4. Mix with a wooden spoon.

5. When you store the salsa, put the pits of the avocado in the bowl. This prevents browning.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Randolphkeys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,142 Times in 1,698 Posts

I think I will make that this weekend. If I can remember to.
    i like jorts

Thanks
    Thanked 4,142 Times in 1,698 Posts

I've made ribs a couple times now this summer. My last rendition:

Rub (estimated):
    2 parts brown sugar
    2 parts smoked paprika
    1 part salt
    1 part black pepper
    1 part garlic powder
    1 part onion powder

Steam liquid (estimated again):
    3 parts water
    1 part apple cider vinegar
    2 shots whiskey
    Diced shallot

Steam in broiler tray in oven at 250 for 2.5-3 hours (wrapped tightly in aluminum foil). Preheat grill to a medium-high. Brush on sauce (I find that Bullseye is actually really good on ribs). Grill till sauce is gooey and charred on both sides. I like to brush on some more after that too but some don't like them super saucy.

Next time I want to rub the ribs and leave them wrapped in plastic wrap overnight. Also want to smoke them but I don't have that stuff on hand. I was surprised at how well the whiskey came through. Very subtle but definitely there (my gf couldn't taste it but I don't think she knew what to taste for).
    Last edited by IWantAKouki; 07-21-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    i like jorts

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IWantAKouki For This Useful Post: