Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,790 Times in 5,275 Posts

Default 2012 Cavs Summer League

From the PD.

So refreshing to hear this kind of thing from the team's youngest and best player.

---
    Summer camp:

Some high draft picks do not want to attend the NBA's summer league after they have established themselves. Irving is not in that category

"Even if Coach Scott didn't want me to go, I was going to be there anyway," Irving said.

Scott believes it would be good for rookies Irving and Tristan Thompson to play together, even if it's only for a few games. Irving went a step further: With as many as four draft picks joining the team in July, the newbies will have a chance to play with the starting point guard.

Due to the lockout, neither Irving nor Thompson took part in last year's summer league in Las Vegas. Irving said he knows it can be an anxious time for young guys trying to make a favorable impression.

"I'm going there to cool everybody down," Irving said. "[I'll] be the cool guy down there."

He grew up watching the summer league, Irving said, and one of his favorite memories is the camera panning the crowd and catching a napping Scott, a clip that can be found on YouTube.
    Last edited by wuck; 03-21-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,375 Times in 1,770 Posts

Default Re: 2012 Cavs Summer League

i like jorts

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to IWantAKouki For This Useful Post:

Team Player $ Donator Believeland-OH's Avatar
    Thanks

The Cavaliers at the moment have quite the potential Summer League roster:

Kyrie Irving
    Tristan Thompson
    Alonzo Gee
    Donald Sloan
    Manny Harris
    Samardo Samuels
    Luke Harangody
    Semih Erden
    Ben Uzoh*
    Mychel Thompson*

This team is ridiculously young at the moment.

Birthing All-Stars Free Agency God's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,564 Times in 1,553 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Believeland-OH View Post
    The Cavaliers at the moment have quite the potential Summer League roster:

Kyrie Irving
    Tristan Thompson
    Alonzo Gee
    Donald Sloan
    Manny Harris
    Samardo Samuels
    Luke Harangody
    Semih Erden
    Ben Uzoh*
    Mychel Thompson*

This team is ridiculously young at the moment.
    Our team is fairly young, but no team in the NBA plays its vets more than we do:

I doubt that Harongody, Erden, Uzoh, or Mychel Thompson make the roster at the start of the season. We'll have at least two if not more rookies coming in on top of some possible free agent signings that are purposely going to replace these guys. I'm hoping that we can actually make that chart form a downward slope next season for the Cavs where we play younger than our team actually is. I wouldn't mind all rookies and sophomores/third-years starting. I'm sick of guys who only have a few years left in them (some really have nothing left and are pretty much dead weight like Parker) who still get big minutes. It'd be nice for there to be only a 5-year difference (if that) in age between the starters instead of a 10-year or 15-year. That's when you get to the point where you have to constantly find new starters for your team and get stuck on the treadmill of mediocrity. It was frustrating watching LeBron surrounded by "veteran presence" that rotted away because there was never enough talent on the team. On top of that, none of our young guys get any play time.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,911 Times in 2,499 Posts

That chart was last updated 1/8, we had only played 7 games up to that point. I'm sure the average has come down quite a bit since then. Kyrie plays more, Andy's has missed 19 games, parker has missed 13 games, Tristan is playing more. We only have 3 players on the roster older than 25, one is out hurt, the other two have expiring contracts in a season we have 4 draft picks.

El Campeón Dodger Champion Feed The King Champion Grab the Green Champion Pretty Kitty Champion Bubble Jumper Champion Master Mahjongg Champion HACKER Champion Blockdown Champion Find the keys Champion Pretty Puppies Puzzles Champion Mega Bounce Champion 2mazed Champion Quadratical Champion NtG's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 645 Posts

best summer league team ever?
    I enjoy looking at puppies

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NtG For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks

greatest summer league team ever.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NtG View Post
    best summer league team ever?
    ugh ugh ugh beat me to it lol

Thanks

After the last draft I get the impression that Grant wants nothing to do with second rounders and if he can not move the 2nd round pick/s just randomly pick a player that will never be with the organization regardless. 2 rookies is hard enough to include into a teams roster let alone 4. I have no quams with this but I will not watch the 2nd round of the draft for nothing again like last year.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JAY1977 View Post
    After the last draft I get the impression that Grant wants nothing to do with second rounders and if he can not move the 2nd round pick/s just randomly pick a player that will never be with the organization regardless. 2 rookies is hard enough to include into a teams roster let alone 4. I have no quams with this but I will not watch the 2nd round of the draft for nothing again like last year.
    What? How can you even think that, that trade they did with Orlando was really smart, who would have thought that Dwight would reup, I sure as hell thought Orlando would become a bottom feeder and that 32nd pick would have became 2 mid 30s picks in much better drafts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,490 Times in 476 Posts

Hopefully, if roster spots permit, Milan Macvan comes over and plays.
    Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king. - Tywin Lannister

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lionheart For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,045 Times in 904 Posts

Wow that can really help the young guys coming in. Glad Kyrie realizes the affect he can have on his teammates

Cryotherapy Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,823 Times in 2,094 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAKouki View Post
    Sleeping Coach
    It's pretty hard to stay awake for the games in Vegas after an 8am bender--
    Last edited by Douglar; 03-24-2012 at 06:51 AM. Reason: typo

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Douglar For This Useful Post:

~
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,862 Times in 2,489 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JAY1977 View Post
    I got the impression the players we had targeted in the second round were off the board. We may use them to trade up or trade in to the future, but 2nd round picks do not have to be guaranteed - so if there's a player we want to take a look at I think we'll use the pick. I agree we may get to the point we have more picks than we have roster spots we want to fill with them.

In other words, I suspect I'll still be watching the 2nd round this year. Of course I DVR it ...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,238 Times in 775 Posts

Spur of the moment idea about the summer league, but I was thinking they should make some sort of summer league playoff. Have single game playoff games between the best 8-10 teams and crown a champion team.

Would make it way more competitive.