Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 497 Posts

Default Re: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

This isn't helping my man crush.

Last edited by ImWithDan; 05-18-2012 at 10:48 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ImWithDan For This Useful Post:

BARNES BRIGADE $ Donator Pavlovic3Ball's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 1,089 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
    Kmart...cleanup on asle 9!..fix that and U fix his game..because that's what he needs to succeed..a J..oh and give him some Whoppers to eat so he can gain some weight..
    what the fuck

Guardian of the Cavaliers Green Lantern's Avatar
    Thanks

Ugh..the refernece of KMart (the department store) was used to respond where Gilcrest got his jumpshot from..they also had a saying there when there was a mess to fix: "CLEANUP ON ASLE 9"..so I was thinking that about fixing his ugly jumper..Whoppers..U ought to know that..food..he needs to add weight..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,592 Times in 497 Posts

Ugh..the refernece of KMart (the department store) was used to respond where Gilcrest got his jumpshot from..they also had a saying there when there was a mess to fix: "CLEANUP ON ASLE 9"..so I was thinking that about fixing his ugly jumper..Whoppers..U ought to know that..food..he needs to add weight..
    So this is what Stephen A. Smith does in his free time.
    Last edited by ImWithDan; 05-18-2012 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks

Yeah but I don't get paid for it..

Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,516 Times in 4,821 Posts

I honestly thought you were referencing Kelvin Martin's unorthodox shooting mechanics. I gave you too much credit I guess.
    “It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners.” ~Harold Ramis

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Randolphkeys For This Useful Post:

Co-Owner Paddy's Pub Frank Reynolds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 784 Posts

Michael Kidd Gilchrist was working out at my old high school, that was Cleveland Benedictine high school right there... Home of the mother fuckin champions

Team Player
    Thanks

MKG looks like he is destined to beast in that video. Imagine how hard MKG and TT would likely push one another...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mcfly For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hard not to want a guy driven like MKG. Some say he has bust potential, but that has to be severely mitigated by his work ethic and desire to improve.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mds For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
    MKG looks like he is destined to beast in that video. Imagine how hard MKG and TT would likely push one another...
    This is an important aspect to the player, I think. I love the idea of a team mate pushing his peers to work harder and to be an example. Competition will drive everyone to be better. It sounds like MKG is a guy who will inspire others to work harder and longer before and after official practice/training sessions, which is pretty awesome.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mds For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Randolphkeys View Post
    I honestly thought you were referencing Kelvin Martin's unorthodox shooting mechanics. I gave you too much credit I guess.
    I was doing both. But the store reference popped in my mind when I saw your post.
    Gilchrist aso has a hitch in his shooting motion.

Thanks
    Thanked 28,934 Times in 9,248 Posts

Gilcrest aso has a hitch in his shooting motion.
    How could this even happen at this point?
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko

Situational Stopper
    Thanks

Kidd-Gilchrist is commonly listed at 6'7" 232 lb.

Seeing that video shows me how much room he has to develop physically. He could easily end up at 6'7" or 6'8", 245-250 once he fills out his frame.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,437 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Funkmastabuck View Post
    Kidd-Gilchrist is commonly listed at 6'7" 232 lb.

Seeing that video shows me how much room he has to develop physically. He could easily end up at 6'7" or 6'8", 245-250 once he fills out his frame.
    He isn't getting to that weight unless he lightens up on the super high-rep endurance workouts and puts some real weight up.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,966 Times in 527 Posts

not sure if it's been posted yet (MKG's interview with slam online):

Repetitive thuds of bouncing basketballs met Michael Kidd-Gilchrist last Wednesday, as he entered a Cleveland-area gym to continue his training for the NBA Draft. Wearing a grey Nike sweat suit and sandals, with a backpack slung over his right shoulder, his wide smile quickly engaged the many youthful eyes that welcomed him.

The player known throughout the basketball universe as MKG was once a McDonald’s All-American from New Jersey, then a National Champion from Kentucky, and now the strongest candidate for the team picking second overall in next month’s NBA Draft. He walked into his second workout of three for the day with the purpose of a 10-year pro, yet grounded enough to share a gym with basketball players of all ages.

As his backpack slid down over his shoulder, and a pair of Nikes he’d soon change into flopped onto the floor beside him, I walked over to say hello. I had previously assumed a player preparing for the NBA Draft would request and require a closed practice facility as he trained. In the case of Michael Kidd-Gilchrist however, I was wrong.

“It’s a humbling feeling for me actually,” said Kidd-Gilchrist, when I asked about working out at the Beachwood High gym filled with roughly 30 kids playing basketball after school. “I know I was like them at one point,” he added. “I was just like these kids once. I’m very humbled to be around them and I wish them nothing but the best.”

As he peeled off his hooded sweatshirt, sitting down to tie his shoes, the 6-7 Kidd-Gilchrist pointed across the gym to the shortest player on the court. He couldn’t have been taller than 5-1, no older than 12. He was driving in for a lay-up high off the right side of the glass as we continued to talk.

“See that little guy over there,” he asked me. “I want to know who he is. I haven’t met him yet, but I’m going to.”

As MKG first took the court for his own workout, a two-hour session of combined skills and strength training began. Jerry Powell, his skills coach, accompanied him on one side of the gym opposite the Beachwood students.

While watching him move through the skill work with a motor that never slowed down, I spoke with his strength and conditioning coach, Jon Purtor. We talked about the training regimen Kidd-Gilchrist has been on since cutting down the nets in New Orleans.

“We are working on a six-day per week plan with Michael,” Purtor told SLAMonline. “In the middle of the week, on Wednesdays and then again on Saturdays, we work soft tissue and recovery, mobility and flexibility. Then we do split routines on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday. Sunday is his off day, and he just shoots.”

“Michael’s 100 percent into it too,” Purtor added. “He really has a great mindset; he’s very wise for his age. He acts like he’s 30, the way he approaches it. He comes in every day with that type of mindset too, which is really, really, rare for someone at his age to be able to demonstrate.”

What’s similarly rare about the 18-year-old Michael Kidd-Gilchrist is his ability to play the game of basketball. He’s a high-flier, a punishing finisher around the rim, and he can out-rebound any perimeter player in the Draft. But all that doesn’t stop him from digging in defensively, with a desire to also be great on that end of the floor.

“I love playing defense, that’s my thing,” MKG went on to tell me during a break in the session. “I feel like I’m a guy who can guard [positions] 1 through 4 in the NBA. Offensively, I believe I can play the 2 or 3 in the NBA too, and I’m just working hard in order to prepare myself for that.

“I’m working on my shooting, off the dribble stuff, and ball handling too, in addition to just working to get stronger and improve all areas of my game every day.”

As a player only one year removed from his senior season at St. Patrick’s, Kidd-Gilchrist is embracing this opportunity for growth with Coach Powell. He’s showing improvement with every session too, especially with his jump shot.

“We’re working on a lot of form shooting,” Powell said later in the afternoon. “A lot of moves off the dribble, a lot of different ways to get your own shot off, with the context of improving his form at the same time. To do that, we are getting up a lot of shots, just a lot of reps.

“What happens when you get up a lot of shots, and a lot of reps like we are, whatever you’re lacking is going to come naturally because you’re doing it just so much. So we’re working on the mid-range shot, and flirting some with the threes too. If people are going to back off him, and see if he can shoot it, we’re making sure he’s ready for that.”

On Tuesday last week, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist’s former teammate at St. Patrick’s High School in New Jersey was named the NBA’s Rookie of the Year. The presentation took place just down the street from where he was working out. Before making his way into the weight room with Coach Purtor, I asked MKG if Kyrie Irving had offered him any advice heading into this NBA Draft process.

“That’s my best friend,” Kidd-Gilchrist said of last year’s No. 1 overall pick. “I talked with him earlier today actually, and he just told me that the NBA is a man’s League. He said to just take my time with everything, off the court and on the court stuff, and just take my time in general. But most importantly, he just said to continue to keep working hard.”

As a Cleveland native, I asked if he hoped to be reunited with his friend and former teammate on the next level.

“Of course, I’d love to play with Kyrie,” Kidd-Gilchrist told SLAMonline. “But at the same time, I’m going into my own professional career and I’d be happy to play with any team that drafts me. I’m looking forward to being a part of an organization that believes in me, and I’m working hard to be able to bring an impact and positive light to that organization.”

On June 28 we’ll find out which organization will provide MKG that opportunity. He will then become a millionaire many times over, and his days of sliding in under the radar to places like this anywhere in the country will come to an end. I asked if he thought about that at all, as we looked around the gym.

“That didn’t hit me yet until you said it,” he replied. “At Kentucky, it’s like that already. But as far as that happening over here, or somewhere else, that didn’t hit me yet.”

The idea behind the Kentucky product preparing for the Draft in Cleveland was in part to give him a chance for relative anonymity while he trained. The thought being that a change of scenery, free from the national championship fanfare, would help keep a singular focus on the task at hand. But the other reason he chose Cleveland, says Kidd-Gilchrist, was to be close to his CAA advisor Rich Paul.

“Rich has been helping me a lot in this process, with everything really, and I wanted to be here with him while I trained,” Kidd-Gilchrist said.

Paul is the CAA advisor for Cavaliers power forward Tristan Thompson as well, and spent this past season in Cleveland.

“He’s my mentor, and it’s been good to be out here in Cleveland with him because we’re all family.”

As we talked, Beachwood High School’s head basketball coach Jason Pecjak brought the same little guy Michael had pointed out to me earlier over to meet the basketball megastar. Or actually, he brought the junior high player over so the basketball megastar could meet him.

Kidd-Gilchrist introduced himself to the 11-year-old baller, along with his mother, and told him he was looking good out there handling the basketball. The little guy, along with his mom, were beaming in response. They wished MKG luck, and said they hoped he’d end up in Cleveland with the Cavaliers.

It was hard for me not to feel the same way, and Coach Pecjak agreed.

“It’s been great having him here,” Pecjak said of MKG, as he walked away into the weight room for the strength-training portion of his workout. “He just has that innate motivation to be great.

“Beyond the basketball aspects, he really is just a good person too. He’s been interacting with all our guys the whole time, and in the short time I’ve gotten to know him, I really think that’s what’s going to take him to a level most guys don’t get to.”

To spend a couple hours talking with MKG, it seems he’s oblivious to all he’s accomplished already. To watch him work, it also seems the sky is his only limit as that career continues.

“I’m getting a lot stronger on and off the court, and I’m just growing up too in this process,” Kidd-Gilchrist said as his workout concluded. “I’ve always been a leader all my life, that’s just me. I’m just always looking to make an impact.”

He’ll make that impact soon on the next level, for whichever team is lucky enough to draft Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. The team that does will win big because of it too, just like MKG has his whole life. Anywhere and everywhere he’s been.
    http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba...the-spotlight/