View Poll Results: What Is the Biggest Reason for Attendance Being So Poor?

Voters
117. You may not vote on this poll
  • Larry Dolan Doesn't Spend Enough Money

    32 27.35%
  • Lack of On-Field Success

    56 47.86%
  • Lack of a Marketable Superstar

    12 10.26%
  • Cleveland Cannot Support Three Professional Sports Teams

    9 7.69%
  • The Economy

    8 6.84%
Page 30 of 47 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast
Results 436 to 450 of 705
  1. #436
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,730
    Thanks
    1,252
    Thanked 3,418 Times in 1,377 Posts

    Default Re: The Ongoing Attendance Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by sgm405 View Post
    Except 2007 and 2011.
    I don't want to get involved in the attendance debate, because it is just stupid.... There is no correct answer. It is obviously a combination of many of the reasons people have listed.

    But I did want to say, what did they offer in 2011? They started 30-15 and didn't even finish above .500. Outside of the first two months, we were pathetic last season.

  2. #437
    Rising Star Nom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,635
    Thanks
    2,191
    Thanked 1,359 Times in 612 Posts

    Default Re: The Ongoing Attendance Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimme Some Mo View Post
    I don't want to get involved in the attendance debate, because it is just stupid.... There is no correct answer. It is obviously a combination of many of the reasons people have listed.

    But I did want to say, what did they offer in 2011? They started 30-15 and didn't even finish above .500. Outside of the first two months, we were pathetic last season.
    I still don't understand looking back at at a season and acting like fans knew the team was goin to lose before it happened. Looking back - why did everyone sell out in '97 if they ended up losing the WS? That's your argument.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nom For This Useful Post:


  4. #438
    Rising Star Nom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,635
    Thanks
    2,191
    Thanked 1,359 Times in 612 Posts

    Default Re: The Ongoing Attendance Problem

    Another point - the Tribe was picked to lose 90 games and ended up winning 80. People on the board are acting like that was a huge failure. In almost any other situation people would be excited that a young team over achieved. People were thrilled when the Cavs started hot. But for the Tribe, if they don't win it all then it was a waste and they are bums. The standards to which they are held arent consistent with any other team or city.

  5. #439
    Team Player
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    920
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 395 Times in 187 Posts

    Default Re: The Ongoing Attendance Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Nom View Post
    I still don't understand looking back at at a season and acting like fans knew the team was goin to lose before it happened. Looking back - why did everyone sell out in '97 if they ended up losing the WS? That's your argument.
    They sold out in the 90's because of all the star power the team had and people truely felt they could win it all like the cavs a few years back. Another factor is the fact Cleveland no longer had the browns and the cavs were mediocre.

  6. #440
    Rising Star Nom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,635
    Thanks
    2,191
    Thanked 1,359 Times in 612 Posts

    Default Re: The Ongoing Attendance Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by mofire View Post
    They sold out in the 90's because of all the star power the team had and people truely felt they could win it all like the cavs a few years back. Another factor is the fact Cleveland no longer had the browns and the cavs were mediocre.
    My point is that the team was in 1st in July and had terrible attendance. People are excusing that because they ende up falling out of first later in the year.

  7. #441
    Team Player
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    920
    Thanks
    143
    Thanked 395 Times in 187 Posts

    Default Re: The Ongoing Attendance Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Nom View Post
    My point is that the team was in 1st in July and had terrible attendance. People are excusing that because they ende up falling out of first later in the year.
    Fair point to argue. I try to go to at least one game a year only because I'm a college student right now but in the future I would like to attend more games. They are a good time, I enjoy going to a baseball game more then I do going to a cavs regular season game.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to mofire For This Useful Post:


  9. #442
    Or Also Schtick Little Seizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,253
    Thanks
    24,688
    Thanked 28,838 Times in 9,215 Posts

    Default Re: The Ongoing Attendance Problem

    How does this debate continue to rage on?
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

    Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

    Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Seizer For This Useful Post:


  11. #443
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8,730
    Thanks
    1,252
    Thanked 3,418 Times in 1,377 Posts

    Default Re: The Ongoing Attendance Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Nom View Post
    I still don't understand looking back at at a season and acting like fans knew the team was goin to lose before it happened. Looking back - why did everyone sell out in '97 if they ended up losing the WS? That's your argument.
    What???

    I am not arguing anything about the attendance... as I said in my first post. I don't give a shit about the attendance. I was simply stating that 2011 was not exactly a year to be proud of IMO. You start 30-15 and finish under .500..... no matter how you spin it, that is disappointing IMO.

  12. #444
    LockDown Joe MoGottiFor3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Eastlake, OH
    Posts
    2,179
    Thanks
    543
    Thanked 1,385 Times in 377 Posts

    Default Re: The Ongoing Attendance Problem

    Time for Cleveland to give Indians their due
    Sam Amico

    When it comes to pro sports in Cleveland, we like to moan.

    We like to feel sorry for ourselves, talk about the good old days and wait until next year. So when a team is competitive and relevant, we really don’t know how to act.

    That’s been the Indians, and the response of Cleveland fans to their winning ways.

    Honestly. A lot of people couldn’t even tell you that the Indians are still in first place in the AL Central following Sunday’s 4-2 win over visiting Texas.

    A lot of people may not know that the Indians won two of three from the defending American League champion Rangers this weekend.

    And a lot of people don’t really seem to care.

    That’s kind of sad, because over the past two years, the Indians have been the only reason for real hope and excitement in Cleveland.

    But instead of showing up at the stadium, fans spend their time contemplating about how the Browns trying to reverse their mess via the latest draft, or the Cavaliers’ position in the upcoming NBA lottery.

    Now, this isn’t intended to rip on the Browns or Cavs, or chastise the fans. It’s just to let you know that, hey Cleveland, there’s a team that’s getting it done … on the field … right here in town. And the Indians are doing it right now.

    That’s gotta be worth something, right?

    OK, nobody expects the Indians to reach the World Series. Most baseball experts predict they’ll never hold their lead in the division. Almost everyone is waiting for the big collapse.

    But that’s the way it goes in sports these days. We are living in the age of “What’s next?” We rarely enjoy the here and now. And that’s too bad.

    Because for the Indians, the here and now has been pretty darn good.

    The here and now includes the Indians shelling much-hyped Rangers starter Yu Darvish for six hits and four runs in six innings Sunday, dealing Darvish (4-1) his first MLB defeat.

    It includes Jason Kipnis going 2-for-2, scoring two runs and hitting his team-high fifth homer … Asdrubal Cabrerea’s double and two RBI … Shin Soo-Choo’s highlight-worthy diving catch in right field … closer Chris Perez’s MLB-leading 11th save.

    But rather than soak it all up, too many Cleveland fans seem more inclined to focus on the struggles of Indians starter Ubaldo Jimenez.

    Well, all Jimenez did Sunday was outshine Darvish, compiling six strikeouts and surrendering just two hits in seven shutout innings. At one point, Jimenez (3-2) retired 10 consecutive Rangers.

    Despite what many die-hards would like to believe, the majority of the sports fan base is of the casual variety. They come to the game, root like crazy for the home team, then go about their day. They come to see their team win. Period.

    They don’t care about things like the draft, free agency, or a team’s strategy or approach to The Big Picture. All they care about is what their team does today. They show up to the stadium in hopes of nothing but success. They hope for nothing more than a reason to be excited, even for just a few hours.

    Right now, the Indians (15-11) are the one Cleveland team that’s giving it to them on a regular basis. Yet Sunday’s announced attendance at Progressive Field was 18,171 -- or less than half of the stadium’s capacity.

    The Cavs, who just finished last in their division in back-to-back years for the first time since the expansion years, draw close to 18,000 on a regular basis. And 18,000 fans would probably show up just to watch new Browns quarterback Brandon Weeden lace his shoes.

    Again, passion for those franchises is a good thing. It shows Clevelanders aren’t just a bunch of frontrunners. It shows they stick with those teams through thick and considerably thin.

    But again, the Indians are actually winning. They’re actually in a race; they‘re actually even leading it. And it’s a race for something other than another high draft pick.

    So now would be a good time for fans to start paying them back, showing some real support and enjoying the ride.

    It may not last -- but who knows and who cares? It sure is pretty cool right now.
    http://www.foxsportsohio.com/05/06/1...76&feedID=8888

  13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MoGottiFor3 For This Useful Post:


  14. #445
    Team Player Cavsfan#1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    851
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 136 Times in 70 Posts

    Default Re: The Ongoing Attendance Problem

    Sadly tomorrows day game will draw about 2000 fans and the night game will be a blistering 14,000.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Cavsfan#1 For This Useful Post:


  16. #446
    Duh Amherstcavsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,916
    Thanks
    13,095
    Thanked 4,953 Times in 1,764 Posts

    Default Re: The Ongoing Attendance Problem

    Chris Perez: “What else do they want? They keep saying, ‘We’ll see if this team’s good.’ Well what are you waiting for?" (more)
    Chris Perez: "We’re in first place. Are you going to wait until we win the World Series and then come to the parade?”
    It's about time some one on the team got fed up.

    Rising out of the ashes

  17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amherstcavsfan For This Useful Post:


  18. #447
    Or Also Schtick Little Seizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,253
    Thanks
    24,688
    Thanked 28,838 Times in 9,215 Posts

    Default Re: The Ongoing Attendance Problem

    Everyone in their right mind knows that the team will fall apart within the next couple months (at maximum.) They need to prove it over an extended period of time, or fans aren't going to come out. Sorry Chris...the Indians have BEEN good. But they've yet to prove that they ARE good.
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

    Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

    Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Seizer For This Useful Post:


  20. #448
    All Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,845
    Thanks
    4,019
    Thanked 3,912 Times in 1,289 Posts

    Default Re: The Ongoing Attendance Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Amherstcavsfan View Post
    It's about time some one on the team got fed up.
    Source of those quotes?

  21. #449
    All Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,845
    Thanks
    4,019
    Thanked 3,912 Times in 1,289 Posts

    Default Re: The Ongoing Attendance Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigo_oi View Post
    Everyone in their right mind knows that the team will fall apart within the next couple months (at maximum.) They need to prove it over an extended period of time, or fans aren't going to come out. Sorry Chris...the Indians have BEEN good. But they've yet to prove that they ARE good.
    If the fans had come out in 2005 and 2007, I'd agree with you.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to sgm405 For This Useful Post:


  23. #450
    Or Also Schtick Little Seizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    29,253
    Thanks
    24,688
    Thanked 28,838 Times in 9,215 Posts

    Default Re: The Ongoing Attendance Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by sgm405 View Post
    If the fans had come out in 2005 and 2007, I'd agree with you.
    You know my opinion and "demands" on this matter in re: to attendance, so I'm not going to get back into the argument.
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

    Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

    Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •