View Poll Results: What is your opinion of Chief Wahoo?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chief Wahoo Should Stay

36 63.16%
  • Chief Wahoo Should Go

16 28.07%
  • Chief Wahoo Should Be Used Sparingly (Only used for occasional throwback uniform nights)

5 8.77%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 626 Posts

Default Re: Cleveland Scene: The Curse of Chief Wahoo

Too happy..Chief Wahoo looks like he's on multiple drugs.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,423 Times in 2,482 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Also, I personally think people need to quit being so in love with being politically correct. The logo and team name has been around for how many damned years... just another instance of people protesting and raising a stink just to do it. If they were honestly that terribly upset about it they would do more than protest Opening Day. The way people talk about it being so offensive you would think the team is marching Native Americans out to the middle of the ballpark for people of other races to ridicule them and throw shit at them.
    Sounds like that could be a promotion night.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,921 Times in 1,289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jigo_oi View Post
    When it comes to racism, the problem is that people determine whether they think it's racist...rather than whether a group of people find it racist. Namely, the group of people that are the object of the supposed racism.

Basically, if almost all Native Americans find it offensive, but non native-americans don't...then it's a problem.

The bigger subject here is that- let's be real- Native Americans were ripped off by the European settlers. They were treated like animals, dominated and subjugated to the settlers desire to own the land. And now they're "allowed" reservations all over the US. This is the way colonization works, yes, but that doesn't mean you have to rub salt in the wounds.

Who gives a shit whether YOU, the WASP find it offensive. When it comes to something deeply racist like calling them Indians (a stupid misnomer that's existence is still ridiculous) using a caricature to represent them or their names being used for a sport they have no connection to.

Basically...it's the equivalent of having a team called The Negroes, as mentioned. Or Japs, or Hymies. It doesn't matter whether you the white, or the non-Asian or the WASP find it offensive, it matters whether the Native American, Japanese or Jew finds it offensive. You've gotta be able to look outside of yourself when you think about co-existing with lare groups of people when it comes to cultural, racial or religious beliefs.
    Holy shit, I'm nodding my head in agreement while reading a Jigo post...

(Just kidding...kind of)

Spot on analysis though...couldn't agree more.

Team Player
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Also, I personally think people need to quit being so in love with being politically correct. The logo and team name has been around for how many damned years... just another instance of people protesting and raising a stink just to do it. If they were honestly that terribly upset about it they would do more than protest Opening Day. The way people talk about it being so offensive you would think the team is marching Native Americans out to the middle of the ballpark for people of other races to ridicule them and throw shit at them.
    This is so incredibly dumb. I'm sorry, but you don't get to decide what other people are offended by and how they have to respond to it. Put Chief Wahoo next to Sambo and tell me if you have to be "in love with being politically correct" to think its inappropriate. And this country has oppressed the population and suppressed the voice of Native Americans for so long that you can't blame them for their reaction. Like the article says "There were African Americans who were OK with sitting on the back of the bus too,".

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 7foot3 For This Useful Post:

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,921 Times in 1,289 Posts

Casualties14, BlueSeats626, and Marcus,

Since you so strongly believe in keeping Wahoo, I'm curious to hear your response.

Do you think the logo shown above would be OK for a professional sports team's logo/team name?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sgm405 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Casualties14 View Post
    Sorry, I'm drunk but I will say it. If you are so sensitive about something as simple as a sports logo then you can go fuck yourself.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Huber. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 28,875 Times in 9,228 Posts

I agree 100% that people need to stop being in love with being so politically correct, particularly with the absurd limitations placed on what teachers can and can't do at school.

But when it comes to racism/anti-semitism/ or anti-religious propaganda on a large level...people are right to be offended by it. I am not offended by the chief wahoo logo...but Native Americans are and have a right to be. If you're going to understand "being offended," you have to look outside yourself. Unless you're the party being subjected to ridicule, YOU don't mean shit. YOU don't matter. YOU don't determine whether something is offensive.
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

Proceeds will go to a charity or cause that we agree upon.

Bettors:
    DougHeil, shoes22, warddj86, jonzee330, bushwick_bill, gourimoko

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Seizer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 23,944 Times in 3,848 Posts

I agree 100% that people need to stop being in love with being so politically correct, particularly with the absurd limitations placed on what teachers can and can't do at school.

But when it comes to racism/anti-semitism/ or anti-religious propaganda on a large level...people are right to be offended by it. I am not offended by the chief wahoo logo...but Native Americans are and have a right to be. If you're going to understand "being offended," you have to look outside yourself. Unless you're the party being subjected to ridicule, YOU don't mean shit. YOU don't matter. YOU don't determine whether something is offensive.
    Coming from the guy offending cavemen with his avatar....idiot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Coming from the guy offending cavemen with his avatar....idiot.
    Your avatar tells me all I need to know about you....you're a tremendous dock.
    Taking up to 10 $10 bets LeBron does not return to Cleveland on his next contract. If you think he is, bet me $10.

Bettors:

Thanks
    Thanked 23,944 Times in 3,848 Posts

Your avatar tells me all I need to know about you....you're a tremendous dock.

C U Next Tuesday...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    C U Next Tuesday...
    In case anyone is wondering...

Next Tuesday, Max turns 12 years older than Old Man Weeden.

Saximus turns 40...

Get it, girl.

Bettors:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,538 Times in 1,204 Posts

Maybe this tiny Native American protest group should research the means and history behind the team name and the Chief Wahoo logo. It came about because the Cleveland Spiders were nicknamed the Indians when Louis Sockalexis, who is regarded as the first Native American to play major league baseball, joined the team. The nickname stuck when the Spiders were sold off and Nap Lajoie left, leaving the Cleveland team in need of a new team name to replace "The Molly Maguires" (yes, this was the Indians team name between "Naps" and "Indians") and the idea behind doing so was to honor Sockalexis. Supposedly, Sockalexis was known as "Chief" among his teammates and many even think Chief Wahoo is a caricature that is based on him. The fact that people are starting to get angered over this NOW just shows how big of a country of pussies we are becoming. Not everything is racist, or has ill intent behind it, or is done just to piss you off, or is being used to mock you, and people need to remember that. We take shit way too personal now-a-days. Anyways, the Indians established Chief Wahoo as their main logo in 1947. Not a complaint was ever said about it or made public until they opened the Jake in 1994 and this protest group made its first appearance. Way I look at it, the "intent" behind the team name and logo is a far from racist as it can possibly be, seeing as it was done to honor a man who happened to be a Native. And if this is a big deal to natives, why aren't they up in arms over the fact that America named a lake (Lake Erie) after an Indian tribe, or that Shawnee State University is named after an Indian tribe, or that Miami of Ohio is named after a tribe. It's because Ohio was one of the most important Native American areas in the history of America (just look at the names of the areas around Ohio...cities, counties, rivers, etc.). WE DID IT TO HONOR YOU!

Thanks

The guys over at Uni-Watch are running a contest about the rebranding of the Indians. This is the only one I'd actually consider changing too.

Here's the link to the other entrys...
    http://www.uni-watch.com/2012/04/22/...-jake-part-ii/

Thanks

In case anyone is wondering...

Next Tuesday, Max turns 12 years older than Old Man Weeden.

Saximus turns 40...

Get it, girl.
    Why did I just watch all 10 hours?

Quote Originally Posted by DonGilbert View Post
    The guys over at Uni-Watch are running a contest about the rebranding of the Indians. This is the only one I'd actually consider changing too.

Here's the link to the other entrys...
    http://www.uni-watch.com/2012/04/22/...-jake-part-ii/
    Native Americans found America before the "founders".....oh the irony.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Huber. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,842 Times in 1,641 Posts

I love our potentially racist logo.