Page 42 of 181 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast
    Rising Star
    Thanks

Default Re: The Brandon Weeden Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WellYouNeednt View Post
    That sounds pretty intense! How many nasty hoppers did you take to the face? Ill be honest, i have never heard of taking grounders on concrete. Sounds borderline dangerous.
    They weren't hard hit nor were they hit near me it was to get the ball speed and range down. Took a ball to the chest playing on a liner down the line. Cracked a rib or 3.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,396 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rap Soda View Post
    I think that the fact that the rest of the AFC North didn't like the fact that the Browns got Weeden is enough justification. They all wanted the Browns to dish out Colt, which hints to me that we ended up with the better QB.
    You know what hints to me that we got a better QB? We got a new one.
    Ass pennies

Rising Star
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Shakalu View Post
    You know what hints to me that we got a better QB? We got a new one.
    The hints were there all offseason. The attempted trade for RG3, asking about Bradford, asking about Luck and then taking Weeden. Sounds like a team that liked their starter to me...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BooyaCS For This Useful Post:

Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,482 Times in 4,810 Posts

Back where I'm from, "agree to disagree" is an exit strategy for when you are done debating. I think everyone else has agreed here.
    “It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners.” ~Harold Ramis

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Randolphkeys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,537 Times in 669 Posts

When do the Browns have their first voluntary workout? I see that a few teams have already started -- anyone know?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,293 Times in 1,822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MoDelonte View Post
    When do the Browns have their first voluntary workout? I see that a few teams have already started -- anyone know?
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. Guys are at the facility working out on a daily basis right now. Rookie mini-camp is this weekend, which is probably why you've been seeing highlights of them in their team garb.

Cavaliers | Browns | Indians | Buckeyes | Red Hawks

Thanks
    Thanked 8,553 Times in 1,566 Posts

The sooner McCoy is out of Cleveland, the better... Not sure how many more McCoy arguments I can take and can only imagine things getting worse if there's a competition...

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Smooth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,527 Times in 3,396 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
    The sooner McCoy is out of Cleveland, the better... Not sure how many more McCoy arguments I can take and can only imagine things getting worse if there's a competition...
    I just don't get why he has defenders. Yeah he didn't have an ideal situation and he seems like a nice enough guy, he just doesn't have the talent.
    Ass pennies

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 370 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rap Soda View Post
    I think that the fact that the rest of the AFC North didn't like the fact that the Browns got Weeden is enough justification. They all wanted the Browns to dish out Colt, which hints to me that we ended up with the better QB.
    The "better QB" is a damn low bar to set for ourselves. Franchise QBs win championships, not guys that are better than Colt McCoy. If we spent a 1st round pick on a guy just because he's an upgrade to a guy who can't cut it, we wasted the pick. When drafting a QB early, he needs to be THE guy and someone we take with conviction, not just the next best option after everything else is off the board. I mean seriously, look at our thought process for getting our "franchise" QB.

- Talk trade for Sam Bradford who we tried to deal for in 2010.
    - Rams want to keep Bradford. Talk trade for #2 and offer 3 first rounders for RGIII.
    - Redskins complete trade for RGIII. Call the Colts to see if there’s any way to get Luck.
    - Indy shuts down talk for Luck, he’s a Colt. Consider Matt Flynn in FA, albeit with lukewarm interest.
    - Flynn wants too much money and prefers to go elsewhere. Try to evaluate Tannehill as possible #4 pick.
    - We rate Richardson higher than Tannehill who probably isn’t worth the #4 pick and won’t be there at #22.
    - Turn attention to Weeden (the best of what’s left). Prepare to pass on Weeden with the #22 pick for Kendall Wright.
    - Kendall Wright goes off the board. Time to force it.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say we didn’t rush the Weeden card up with franchise QB-selecting glee.

I mean seriously... is that conviction or what? If we thought Weeden is a franchise QB, why did we try to do all kinds of other (much more expensive things) first to get a different QB? I’m of the opinion that it’s because they view him the way you describe… as an upgrade to Colt, not necessarily a franchise guy. Teams that pick QBs in that manner almost always make mistakes. If Weeden ends up being just a “better QB” than Colt and doesn’t lead us anywhere except away from drafting a guy we truly love as a franchise QB and losing a 1st in the process, he’ll do more harm than good.

My first hope is that Weeden succeeds because he’s a Brown and he’s our guy right now. I hope he does better than I think he will. If not, I can only hope that if Weeden struggles like he very well could as a rookie and we’re in position to draft a QB who we believe with conviction is a franchise guy, we think long and hard about it… about doing what we should’ve waited to do in the first place instead of just looking for an upgrade to a guy it's not that hard to replace.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Spectre For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

The Browns actually believed that Weeden would be ranked right alongside Luck and RG3 if he was the same age. He has the best arm of the three at this point. He was the #3 QB on their board, they didn't even seriously consider Tannehill and locked on to Weeden after they decided it would be too costly to go for RG3. Any report that Weeden was a panic pick is just false. They were going to get him one way or another. Once Wright was off the board it made their decision at 22 easy.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to winner0274 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,607 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sgm405 View Post
    I think:

- The Browns had absolutely no running game in 2011 Didn't help that defenses could commit to the run without the threat of getting burned by McCoy's arm
    - The Browns WR's last year were amongst the worst in the NFL. I like Little's potential, but relying on him as a #1 showed how bad the Browns WR core really was. They had no chance to prove their worth because McCoy consistently missed them
    - The Browns offensive line was mediocre at best in 2011 We're trying to tell you that the poor pass protection was because of McCoy's decision making, not the OL
    - Because of all of this, Colt never got a real shot at succeeding before being replaced. He caused a lot of this

I also believe the following:

- Colt looked pretty good in 2010, which happened to be when Peyton Hillis was playing like a premier RB And also happened to be when nobody had film on him
    - Colt would perform much better with a year of WCO experience and Trent Richardson in the backfield I would too, doesn't mean he's any good

- Colt McCoy isn't an elite QB, but can be still "the guy" on a winning team. Last year's Super Bowl was close to being Flacco vs Smith, and neither of them are elite.
    - Neither of them have arms as weak as McCoy's either

- Mike Holmgren (the "QB Guru" himself), at some point, felt like Colt McCoy could be "the guy" as well
    - Misconception - McCoy was a no risk pick in the 3rd that had the chance to pan out or not while we continued to build the rest of our team
    The argument for Colt is way too weak to continue. He is not a good QB and he doesn't seem to have the potential to become one. Next.

All Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,920 Times in 1,289 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Man Called X View Post
    Colt McCoy throws a football like a woman. I mean holy shit. Limp wristed mother fucker cannot throw a football. If you can't throw more than 10 yards downfield, you aren't gonna make it as a QB.

I don't know why there's an argument here. Did Colt McCoy give you a really good blowjob in the restroom of a gay club one night? I cannot find a fucking reason to stick up for the dude. If you have that much of a crush on him, go blow him and gtfo.
    You must have been a star on the debate team in high school. The "You-don't-agree-with-me-so-you-must-be-gay" argument is always a winner.

All Star
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Shakalu View Post
    I don't give a shit how old he is. I'd hitch my future to a 28 year old rook who actually has the tools to succeed before wasting even more time on a guy who just doesn't.

Again, I didn't expect him to succeed. However he should have been able to show flashes of his ability, he didn't. In fact, he regressed.
    His age absolutely matters. If they believe in him I'm on board with the move and trust the front office, but let's not pretend he's in the same situation as a normal rookie QB. He has to play and produce from day one, and can't afford to have a very long learning curve.

As far as McCoy goes, I'm done debating that one. I'm tired of being talked down to (not by you, by others) because they can't respect an opinion other than their own.

Back to the Indians/Cavaliers parts of RCF for me.

Admittedly Pompous Randolphkeys's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,482 Times in 4,810 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smooth View Post
    I think people read a little too much into the "Colt Camp" responsibilities last summer. Colt was hailed as an extension of the coaching staff and "the leader" of the offense during the lockout pretty much by default. Every team had a quarterback running drills with voluntary workouts. Alex Smith was signed by the 49ers to a one year contract to do the same thing for Harbaugh, but wasn't given any assurances that he was the franchise savior. So, Colt had a lot of "franchise quarterback" responsibilities over the summer. Some fans seem to hold him in high regard for that.

And it all has nothing to do with how awful he was against an NFL defense going full bore at him. Great locker room guys who are great in drills seem to be good backup quarterbacks. If his ego allows it, he will mane another team very happy if he knows his role.
    “It's hard for winners to do comedy. Comedy is inherently subversive. We represent the underdog as comedy usually speaks for the lower classes. We attack the winners.” ~Harold Ramis

All Star
    Thanks

One more post:

Daryl Ruiter Tweeting details of Mike Holmgren's 92.3 FM interview today:

@RuiterWrongFAN: Holmgren: they haven't made up their mind to go in another direction at QB by drafting Weeden; there'll be competition; not handing him job

@RuiterWrongFAN: Holmgren stresses there will be QB competition between McCoy & Weeden

I love it...competition brings out the best in everyone. I'm guessing most of you won't agree.

Have a good night everyone.