Page 99 of 862 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149199599 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 12916

Thread: Dion Waiters

Thanks
    Thanked 4,946 Times in 1,161 Posts

Default Re: Welcome Dion Waiters

Here are some quotes from David Thorpe on the subject of SL and transitioning from college to NBA

On looking for potential red flags in SL:
    There’s not many. The player’s got to be allowed to adjust and grow. In many cases, they’re playing for the coach—and for most teams—for the first time. I have an issue with a low or a slow motor, a low basketball IQ, a lack of understanding the importance of growing game to game. Guys that have been now two or three years to summer league, if they’re the same player, that’s a red flag. They’re about who they are. I wouldn’t ever do that over the course of one summer league, but two or three I would. You’d like to see some growth game to game from some guys. And during this summer league, if you’re not competing, if you think you’re going to compete once the season starts, you’re sadly mistaken. This is your chance to shine. They don’t do it now, they may not play at all in the regular season. That’s a major problem.
    On conditioning:
    The young guys don’t have any idea how to get in shape. They don’t know how to push themselves to that point. If he comes here a year from now and looks the same, that’s a problem. I almost never put any red flag on a rookie other than you hope that they know how to play hard. If they’re not going to play hard at this point, then they can learn to play harder, but you at least have some kind of baseline level. They don’t have it then, then they rarely get it. They sometimes do, but it doesn’t happen a lot. But yeah, with most rookies, I give them a pass at almost everything. Next year, you start getting more disciplined—”OK we’re not seeing that jump we thought we’d see”—they might not have it.
    Here's the whole article where the quotes are pulled from: Is it a Waste of Time to Worry? | Hardwood Paroxysm

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MRMsix6 For This Useful Post:

Private eyes, Watchin You Tornicade IED's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,691 Times in 2,068 Posts

I didnt se a kid who was just happy to be in the NBa. i saw a kid who was working to be succesful in the game. albeit a little out of shape. Waiters played hard. He worked on his defense. playing on tired legs (and apparently a bruised knee) and made some adjustments to his shots that took took him out of his natural flow.

Id rather see Waiters struggle trying to add to his game than perform flawless just focused on what he already does well.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tornicade IED For This Useful Post:

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,491 Times in 578 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Ball...GOT IT View Post
    So Byron Scott is the GM? lol
    To think Byron Scott doesn't have a significant say in player personnel, well, that's a pretty nearsighted approach. I think Byron said he watched 40 games worth of film of Waiters at Syracuse leading up to the draft and did the same with Kyrie, with film going back to high school. Byron has always been active within the front office in every coaching stop he's made and has made numerous hand-picked roster decisions. Disagree with me all you want but the guy has a proven track record as one of the top developers for guards in the entire NBA, just ask Chris Paul his thoughts.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EdMonix11 For This Useful Post:

Practice Squad
    Thanks

I dont know if you guys saw his most recent picture on instagram but he looks much more in shape. I cant view it on the computer but if you have insagram look up his most recent photo with the caption haters cant stop me or something like that. His instagram is @cuse3.

http://instagram.com/p/Nzq_DEAB-h/
    Last edited by wuck; 08-01-2012 at 11:07 PM. Reason: added link

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Boohd For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

What the hell happened? He looks small as shit.

Moving to Paris, to shoot some heroin and fuck with the stars
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 591 Posts

He looks like he hit up the insanity workout routine or something. Also, I hope he isn't referring to the Cavaliers fanbase as the haters.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,586 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MGMT View Post
    He looks like he hit up the insanity workout routine or something. Also, I hope he isn't referring to the Cavaliers fanbase as the haters.
    I think it's just more of a general me-against-the-world sort of attitude, which can sometimes be good and can sometimes be very bad.

And man that kid has a pretty big noggin.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,279 Times in 537 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by winner0274 View Post
    Man...this guy just can't win can he? Last week he was too chubby, now he's too skinny? He definitely looks like he lost a little bit of weight, but people need to remember that in these summer league games he was wearing one of those compression shirts with the rib pads and an ill fitting practice jersey. Of course he's going to look much bigger in that than in clothes that actually fit him.

Plus, for an athlete of his level and considering he wasn't working out much at all prior to the draft, it'd be pretty easy for him to shed 5-10 lbs in 2 weeks if he started going hard with the cardio and eating better. To me it's a great sign if he looks a little thin at this point. There's still 3 months before the season. That's plenty of time to hit the weight room and put back on some good weight.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bob_The_Cat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I am not sure why people equate not working out for teams as not working out. team pre draft workouts do not get players in shape. they let teams see what the guy can do.

If Dion had worked for teams he would o fbeen in the same shape during summer leagiue. his workout regiman would of stayed the same

Resident Microbiologist Dr. Gymbo's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,435 Times in 698 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by winner0274 View Post

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Gymbo For This Useful Post:

Team Player
    Thanks

Byron's gonna get him in NBA shape but he's off to a good start. Good for him

Rising Star
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_The_Cat View Post
    Man...this guy just can't win can he? Last week he was too chubby, now he's too skinny? To me it's a great sign if he looks a little thin at this point. There's still 3 months before the season. That's plenty of time to hit the weight room and put back on some good weight.
    Waiter's problem is never going to be that he's too thin. The danger with him will be if he starts dining with Raymond Felton.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LukeWitte View Post
    Waiter's problem is never going to be that he's too thin. The danger with him will be if he starts dining with Raymond Felton.
    Or the Olympic Swim team

Thanks
    Thanked 1,673 Times in 762 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MGMT View Post
    It's a quote from a song...... Why would he refer to the fanbase of the team who just drafted him as haters before he plays a game for them?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Triplethreat View Post
    It's a quote from a song...... Why would he refer to the fanbase of the team who just drafted him as haters before he plays a game for them?
    so is he supposed to prove to the haters that he sucks? seems like a lot of candy ass nitpicking over nothing.

oh noes dion waiters doesnt like being called shit by his fans and wants to prove them wrong.. what a horrible attitude.

If i was a dion hater. I would be hoping he proved me wrong too-

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tornicade IED For This Useful Post: