Quote Originally Posted by falcon2294 View Post
    wrong trade

we traded Mo to the clippers
    Ahh, indeed.. thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,375 Times in 1,770 Posts

Default Re: Chris Grant - Cavaliers GM

Quote Originally Posted by MirORich View Post
    I mean, by all means have fun with the narrative, but Grant was not the GM and not making the picks for ATL when they went with Williams over Paul.

Furthermore, MCW would play where on this team?

Oladipo on the other hand, I liked and argued for leading up to the draft. If he continues like this, there will be a whole board of people saying that's who they wanted but in May and June it felt like maybe 10-20% of the board would have been ok with Oladipo. If Waiters is the long term 6th man, Oladipo could have fit perfect in the starting SG role.
    I don't know, taking three SGs back-to-back-to-back in the high lottery doesn't seem like that great of an idea. Of course that is predicated on the fact that we drafted Kyrie and Dion in years prior, but still. Drafting guys that highs means that you hope to pay each of them 10+ million a season...and I don't want to invest 30 mil in three small guards.
    i like jorts

Thanks

I didnt know they were college roommates

Can someone conform?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to falcon2294 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,305 Times in 857 Posts

Time to go get Phil Jackson…

The second of his name. theSTEREO.'s Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,320 Times in 2,019 Posts

Ok, just sneaking in here since last night... The guy saying we blew it by trading Jon Leuer... You're, joking right? Please tell me that was a joke.

Veteran 3D Poker Champion NumberTris Champion Shape and Color Champion Raining Day Champion Sneaky's Road Trip - Istanbul Champion Up Champion Code Breakers Champion JDeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,509 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theSTEREO. View Post
    Ok, just sneaking in here since last night... The guy saying we blew it by trading Jon Leuer... You're, joking right? Please tell me that was a joke.
    I said trading Jon Leuer was a mistake the day it happened. Now we're paying the price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmons
    Phil Jackson ran the Triangle offense. Mike Brown runs the "If you cross midcourt with the ball, you get to keep it and shoot" offense.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dawkins View Post
    I said trading Jon Leuer was a mistake the day it happened. Now we're paying the price.
    Assuming this isn't sarcasm, you're saying because of a single 23 point game, you'd rather have an 11th man off the bench than a guaranteed lottery pick?

Just to refresh, this is what we traded for:

2015 first round draft pick from Memphis
    Memphis' 1st round pick to Cleveland protected for selections 1-5 and 15-30 in 2015, 1-5 and 15-30 in 2016, 1-5 in 2017 or 1-5 in 2018 or unprotected in 2019 [Cleveland-Memphis, 1/22/2013]

9. The Following User Says Thank You to theSTEREO. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,144 Times in 790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EugB23 View Post
    Oladipo and McLemore both would've been better picks than Anthony Bennett IMHO, you can already see Oladipo showing signs of being a star, triple double tonight.... AB might still turn out OK but since it looks like we are actively shopping Waiters, passing on these two looks worse now......

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuggles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,964 Times in 797 Posts

Oh god by all means it was a joke hahaha he's a scrub

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toph For This Useful Post:

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,843 Times in 4,136 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by OptimusPrime View Post
    We can sign him to the qualifying offer, which means he will be gone the following year.
    The thing is, though, that star players basically never take qualifying offers. In fact, I'm not sure a potential max player has ever taken their QO and left money on the table.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Brickman For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Brickman View Post
    The thing is, though, that star players basically never take qualifying offers. In fact, I'm not sure a potential max player has ever taken their QO and left money on the table.
    I don't remember what thread it was in, but I went off on this the other day.

Basically, just shut down all the QO talk. It will never ever ever happen. There has only ever been exactly one group of players that took less than the max, and that was the LBJ/Wade/Bosh crew who had a plot in place. Also, the supermax extension didn't exist back then either.

Not a single star since 2007 has taken less than the max rookie extension, with the only exception being Kevin Love, and that was because Minnesota refused to give it to him.

Kyrie will be under the Cavs control for a long long time. And even if he wants out because of lack of competitiveness in 2015, then he will still take the extension and request a trade

Take the QO... Smh. Nonsense.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to theSTEREO. For This Useful Post:

Hall of Famer
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,843 Times in 4,136 Posts

I don't remember what thread it was in, but I went off on this the other day.

Basically, just shut down all the QO talk. It will never ever ever happen. There has only ever been exactly one group of players that took less than the max, and that was the LBJ/Wade/Bosh crew who had a plot in place. Also, the supermax extension didn't exist back then either.

Not a single star since 2007 has taken less than the max rookie extension, with the only exception being Kevin Love, and that was because Minnesota refused to give it to him.

Kyrie will be under the Cavs control for a long long time. And even if he wants out because of lack of competitiveness in 2015, then he will still take the extension and request a trade

Take the QO... Smh. Nonsense.
    You can also talk about Eric Gordon, a guy who flat out did not want to play in New Orleans. He stated that publicly. He could have taken the QO and bolted the following year. Instead, he signed a big money deal with Phoenix and New Orleans matched.

No one is leaving that kind of money on the table.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,236 Times in 1,643 Posts

Assuming this isn't sarcasm, you're saying because of a single 23 point game, you'd rather have an 11th man off the bench than a guaranteed lottery pick?

Just to refresh, this is what we traded for:
    A guaranteed lottery pick? Did you read what it said? They will be picking above 15 the next few years, so we won't get it then. When the Grizzlies are picking 21 in 2017, that's when we would get the pick. Which still isn't a bad haul for Jon Leuer and some of Gilbert's money, but don't get too excited about it.
    “The State is not force alone. It depends upon the credulity of man quite as much as upon his docility. Its aim is not merely to make him obey, but also to make him want to obey.” - H.L. Mencken

Thanks
    Thanked 1,169 Times in 503 Posts

A guaranteed lottery pick? Did you read what it said? They will be picking above 15 the next few years, so we won't get it then. When the Grizzlies are picking 21 in 2017, that's when we would get the pick. Which still isn't a bad haul for Jon Leuer and some of Gilbert's money, but don't get too excited about it.
    I'm not sure they're a playoff team next year (pelicans, wolves, blazers, lakers, spurs, rockets, clippers, thunder, nuggets, mavs, warriors - gotta be better than 4 of them and I'd say at least 5 are locks to be better than the grizzlies) and I doubt they're drafting top 5, so I'd say they have decent odds of having their pick fall between 6-14 which means it's ours.

Snitches get stitches Hydroponic3385's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,920 Times in 780 Posts

With how stacked the West is, and how big a hit (IMO) it was losing coach Hollins, there's no guarantee Memphis makes the playoffs even this season (currently tied for 9th). So it's certainly no guarantee that they make the playoffs both of the following 2 seasons as well (as you are implying by saying we wouldn't get their pick until 2017).

Being in the West is damn rough unless you're a star-loaded team (which Memphis is not). Plus the Memphis roster is not all that young, and the Memphis owners are by no means the types to spend tons of money maintaining a low-playoff-seed roster for years. They're already at just about the salary cap for the 2014-2015 season ($55.6 million), so they won't be adding a ton of talent. And then the following year they may potentially lose a key player or two to free agency (e.g., will they be willing to re-sign both Randolph and Gasol?).

I wouldn't be shocked if they start a rebuild or semi-rebuild in the next year or two.
    Last edited by Hydroponic3385; 12-04-2013 at 04:14 PM.