Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    All Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Heart of it All
    Posts
    4,252
    Thanks
    3,938
    Thanked 3,488 Times in 934 Posts

    Default ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports fans












  2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to NorthCoastBias For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Long Live The Idols MoneyMP3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Niles
    Posts
    2,548
    Thanks
    2,917
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 563 Posts

    Default Re: ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports

    This should end well.

  4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MoneyMP3 For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    on a rampage theshowstoppah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Killa Cali
    Posts
    363
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 151 Times in 74 Posts

    Default Re: ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports

    ... Until the Indians or Browns win it all this year and make it totally useless

  6. #4
    formerly LJ4MVP KI4MVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11,042
    Thanks
    2,685
    Thanked 5,933 Times in 2,170 Posts

    Default Re: ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports

    ^^ or the cavs, since it will air after basketball season

  7. #5
    Hall of Famer MoFlo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    10,622
    Thanks
    10,274
    Thanked 13,071 Times in 3,549 Posts

    Default Re: ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports

    Callers to Rizzo show today may be part of it.


    Akron native Kris Belman will direct 30 for 30 on Cleveland sports fan.
    They couldn't find anyone from, oh I don't know, Cleveland, to direct a documentary on Cleveland...?

    To be fair, I might be overreacting here. Anyone know this guy and/or if he has a good feel for something like this?

  8. #6
    All Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Heart of it All
    Posts
    4,252
    Thanks
    3,938
    Thanked 3,488 Times in 934 Posts

    Default Re: ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports

    He was on with Rizzo today and he was born and raised a Cleveland fan. Akron native, went to Walsh and now lives in L.A. He really emphasized wanting to film a documentary highlighting a group of passionate and loyal fans and knew that they'd be the perfect subjects from having grown up in the area and meeting Cleveland fans in L.A.

    I will say the one thing I really didn't like in the interview was that he plans on contacting LeBron to interview him for the film. While it's understandable that The Decision is one of many events engrained in the pain of Cleveland fans, I don't think it's at all necessary to interview the guy. He's not an athlete currently playing in Cleveland and he felt the need to blatantly distance himself from the city by saying he hated Cleveland while growing up. He also doesn't "get" growing up a fan of area teams since he freely jumped on the bandwagons of the Yankees, Cowboys and Bulls as a kid. Hopefully he declines any sort of interview for the documentary.

    Also, I guess the title is a bit misleading. It's actually about Cleveland sports fans and not Cleveland sports. If a mod could add that, I'd appreciate it.
    Last edited by NorthCoastBias; 05-03-2013 at 04:26 PM.

  9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to NorthCoastBias For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Slice & Dice SuperSurge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Sarasota, Florida
    Posts
    6,124
    Thanks
    5,252
    Thanked 6,490 Times in 2,160 Posts

    Default Re: ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoastKid View Post
    ...he was born and raised a Cleveland fan. Akron native.


    WHOA, WHOA, WHOA... I thought that was impossible?

  11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperSurge For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Team Player The Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,093
    Thanks
    6,803
    Thanked 1,934 Times in 500 Posts

    Default Re: ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports

    Quote Originally Posted by MoFlo View Post
    They couldn't find anyone from, oh I don't know, Cleveland, to direct a documentary on Cleveland...?

    To be fair, I might be overreacting here. Anyone know this guy and/or if he has a good feel for something like this?
    I used to work with Kris around 2001-2002. We were both servers at the Don Pablo's in Fairlawn. I don't know him any better than one does most of their coworkers, but I remember him being a genuinely funny dude and an easy guy to get along with. I really don't have much more to offer than that -- we played some Tecmo Bowl together a few times. That was cool.

    I liked his SVSM doc and thought it was well-made. The easy move would have been to make it all about LeBron, but the fact that it was about the team made it much more interesting. I remember hearing Kris tell a story on a podcast (can't remember if it was Adam Carolla or Bill Simmons -- one of those) about him making the documentary. LeBron wasn't a part of it for much of the filming, but Kris knew he had to get him on board for the film to be legitimate. I think it was Romeo who convinced LeBron to watch Kris's trailer for the movie. Once LeBron saw the trailer and how the film was about the SVSM team (and not just a LeBron doc) he was fully on board, appearing in the doc and also helping to promote it.

    I haven't seen anything else Kris has done since the documentary, but it should make for an interesting view when it comes to LeBron. I can't imagine he is going to kill LeBron in it, but I don't think he can justify The Decision in a documentary about Cleveland sports.

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Hill For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    All Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,841
    Thanks
    4,014
    Thanked 3,886 Times in 1,287 Posts

    Default Re: ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports

    Quote Originally Posted by MoFlo View Post




    They couldn't find anyone from, oh I don't know, Cleveland, to direct a documentary on Cleveland...?

    To be fair, I might be overreacting here. Anyone know this guy and/or if he has a good feel for something like this?
    I'd be willing to bet the majority of Cleveland fans weren't born in Cleveland.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sgm405 For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    All Star
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    4,841
    Thanks
    4,014
    Thanked 3,886 Times in 1,287 Posts

    Default Re: ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoastKid View Post
    He was on with Rizzo today and he was born and raised a Cleveland fan. Akron native, went to Walsh and now lives in L.A. He really emphasized wanting to film a documentary highlighting a group of passionate and loyal fans and knew that they'd be the perfect subjects from having grown up in the area and meeting Cleveland fans in L.A.

    I will say the one thing I really didn't like in the interview was that he plans on contacting LeBron to interview him for the film. While it's understandable that The Decision is one of many events engrained in the pain of Cleveland fans, I don't think it's at all necessary to interview the guy. He's not an athlete currently playing in Cleveland and he felt the need to blatantly distance himself from the city by saying he hated Cleveland while growing up. He also doesn't "get" growing up a fan of area teams since he freely jumped on the bandwagons of the Yankees, Cowboys and Bulls as a kid. Hopefully he declines any sort of interview for the documentary.

    Also, I guess the title is a bit misleading. It's actually about Cleveland sports fans and not Cleveland sports. If a mod could add that, I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks for the summary.

    Whether we like it or not, LeBron is part of our history.

  17. #11
    Best of the Land Rob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The DMV
    Posts
    8,140
    Thanks
    2,366
    Thanked 4,157 Times in 1,663 Posts

    Default Re: ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports fans

    There should not be a LeBron interview in this. Unless he's apologizing.

    Regardless, looking forward to this.

  18. #12
    September 14 Urban's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Akron, OH
    Posts
    1,541
    Thanks
    323
    Thanked 591 Times in 231 Posts

    Default Re: ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports fans

    Hmmm

    This will either help us gain respect from other fans (unlikely) or make our fans, city, and teams look bad.

    Eh, what's the worst that could happen? Looking forward to it. I'm sure there will be some fans that will just make me cringe though.

  19. #13
    formerly LJ4MVP KI4MVP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    11,042
    Thanks
    2,685
    Thanked 5,933 Times in 2,170 Posts

    Default Re: ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports

    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoastKid View Post
    He was on with Rizzo today and he was born and raised a Cleveland fan. Akron native, went to Walsh and now lives in L.A. He really emphasized wanting to film a documentary highlighting a group of passionate and loyal fans and knew that they'd be the perfect subjects from having grown up in the area and meeting Cleveland fans in L.A.

    I will say the one thing I really didn't like in the interview was that he plans on contacting LeBron to interview him for the film. While it's understandable that The Decision is one of many events engrained in the pain of Cleveland fans, I don't think it's at all necessary to interview the guy. He's not an athlete currently playing in Cleveland and he felt the need to blatantly distance himself from the city by saying he hated Cleveland while growing up. He also doesn't "get" growing up a fan of area teams since he freely jumped on the bandwagons of the Yankees, Cowboys and Bulls as a kid. Hopefully he declines any sort of interview for the documentary.

    Also, I guess the title is a bit misleading. It's actually about Cleveland sports fans and not Cleveland sports. If a mod could add that, I'd appreciate it.
    The special isn't going to air until the fall of 2014

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to KI4MVP For This Useful Post:


  21. #14
    Rising Star dano_24_26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Camp Anawanna
    Posts
    1,784
    Thanks
    2,783
    Thanked 974 Times in 412 Posts

    Default Re: ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports fans

    Quote Originally Posted by ClevelandRocks8 View Post
    Hmmm

    This will either help us gain respect from other fans (unlikely) or make our fans, city, and teams look bad.

    Eh, what's the worst that could happen? Looking forward to it. I'm sure there will be some fans that will just make me cringe though.
    If it's done right we should be alright. I think most people that will tune in for a documentary about Cleveland sports fans will already have some respect for us. If this was on national T.V. I think people would look down on us.

  22. #15
    All Star
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    The Heart of it All
    Posts
    4,252
    Thanks
    3,938
    Thanked 3,488 Times in 934 Posts

    Default Re: ESPN to air "30 for 30" documentary on Cleveland sports

    Quote Originally Posted by KI4MVP View Post
    The special isn't going to air until the fall of 2014
    And at point, LeBron James will still be a former Cleveland athlete.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to NorthCoastBias For This Useful Post:


Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •