• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Kyrie Irving

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love this Kyrie...only matter of time before James and Love join him and then we start dominating

Good to hear from Kyrie but words are words. Let's see some progress.

I'm tired of the "Every team is gonna give us their best!" schtick too.

Good to hear from Kyrie but words are words. Let's see some progress.

I'm tired of the "Every team is gonna give us their best!" schtick too.

he has progressed.. nobody else has though

He's been playing fine basketball all year. The Utah game was blown badly out of proportion. His effort, his willingness to move the ball, and he's being aggressive on both ends.

He's doing everything I could ask for. I like what Jeff Van Gundy said, he shouldn't change his game for anyone.

Converting Kyrie into just a stand still shooter, that plays off LeBron, would be absurd.

Assuming they get this thing together and do what we all expect, our trajectory could be similar to the lakers' in that once 'bron is gone, Kyrie can take the reigns from him. Similar to how Kobe did after Shaq left.

Of course, I don't hope to imitate their feud too :chuckle:

He's playing at his best right now, but the Cavs need LeBron and Love at their best more. I think this lineup would be effective if Love wasn't such a pathetic defender. I do like that Kyrie is playing like he give a shit unlike LeSoft.
PG-Kyrie
SG-Harris
SF-Marion
PF-LeBron
C-Love

Kyrie is easily the best player on the team overall from the start of the season through tonight. Most consistent, giving the most effort, playing great (yes, great) defense, staying positive, supporting teammates and no pouting.

Isn't it ironic LeBron was supposed to be Kyrie's mentor? Well right now, LeBron should take notes from Kyrie. I'm very happy w/ how Kyrie is playing and handling himself in the locker room as he is my favorite player. Glad to see him playing so well and leading by example. And honestly, I feel bad for him, he literally has had no help these last few games. Isn't that crazy? With K Love and LeBron playing w/ him.

My agendas being what they were last season (calling LeBron "LeBum", defending Kyrie feverishly, etc) ...
it's weird to see what's going on right now.

I thought Kyrie was going to be a knucklehead this season after the 0 assists game and his response to that in the post-game interviews. However, since then he's started sharing the ball more, he's been careful with the ball otherwise, and in general reducing his "Kobe" tendencies from game to game. He's still going to take his shots, which is OK as long as they go in. Would like to see less dribbling on possessions (that's everyone on the Cavs).

I really don't want to see the Cavs play out like one of my '10-13 agendas since LeBron is now Kyrie's teammate. But what to make of this?

I have been impressed with Irving as well. Only player that continually gives effort. Perhaps this was part of James "master plan" but regardless, the growth i have seen from him is great for us in the long run.

I am very happy with how he has responded after the Utah game, however, he is looking to go 1 on 5 during his "bench" minutes. This is not giving us any bench production. It isn't getting Dion involved and it isn't getting TT involved.

Last game one of Dion's infamous long 2's was a result not just of Dion's poor shots selection, but of Kyrie holding the ball too long. Kyrie sucked in the defense resulting in a perfect driving lane to the basket for Dion. The problem? Kyrie held the ball until the double team recovered and got back to Dion. So what started as a clear path to the basket led to a cut off drive and a long 2 from Dion. Dion should have passed, but he did his default when his first option was cut off which is unfortunately shoot.

My point is just that guys need the ball at the right spot and the right time. He does this with Love too. He gets him the ball a beat after he should and that means he gets blocked or stripped after the help defense has recovered the roll man.

It isn't a huge criticism, and it probably has a lot to do with chemistry, but it has been consistent in his career. Watch him in the pick and roll. He rarely gets the ball to the roll man until he has been absolutely stopped. That is plenty of time for the help defense to pick up the roll man, and is a big reason TT has been blocked a million times. If you watch Lebron get the ball to TT he has been able to consistently finish because the help defense has not gotten there yet and the roll man TT or Av who is much better at cutting has an open path to the basket.

Another good defensive game, he wasn't shooting well in the beginning but he got it together later on. Very happy with how he is playing right now.

At the end of the recap of tonight's game on ESPN:

Irving told Cleveland's coaching staff he wants to guard the opposition's best perimeter player, which meant his assignment was Wall. "I just have to do the job at stopping the head of the snake," Irving said.

Wall finished 2-for-6, with just six points. Five turnovers. He was averaging 16.2 shot attempts per game coming in to this game. Irving did a damn good job defensively tonight.

This is how i want to see Kyrie play from now on. He had a good game. I'd like to see him continue to play the way he has played in the last two games. He needs to play good defense, set up some plays for his teammates, and take some good high quality shots without pounding the ball, but make sure LeBron and Love are the focal points of the offense and get them more involved, and then Kyrie can pad up his points with the bench unit and in garbage time like he did tonight and in the last game.

The truth is, he's one of the best talented scorers in the league and can score in bunches, they don't need him to get going early in games. He needs to let Love get more involved early in games without getting in his way and he has done that as of late. The Cavs have performed better that way. All that matter is that the Cavs have played really well when both LeBron and Love were the focal points of the offense.

Last edited:
Kyries could not have his head in more of a perfect place. He's leading the team, distributing, playing hero ball when necessary and doing it well, and hes genuinely interested on defense.

LBJ rubbed off on him the right way. The two are cut out of the same cloth right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."