• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

David Blatt is a former NBA coach

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
Our schedule has also been tough as shit, oPponeNts have had bench players consistently recording outlier nights and we haven't been playing well.

Considering all these things makes me feel even better when I look at those stats

The Cavs have gone from ranked 29th in defensive efficiency to 17th. They're starting to run plays for Love closer to the basket. And LeBron is starting to play like LeBron.

The Cavs are only 7-7, but have a points differential of +3.4. Only 7 teams have a higher diff. Houston, one place higher at +5.5, is 12-3. The Cavs are starting to show that they're much better than their current record.

This has been a very good week for Blatt. He has the Cavs contesting more shots, blowing fewer assignments, and moving the ball like he's Lenny Wilkins. They're playing smart basketball, but now comes the tough part -- to maintain these improvements for more than just a couple games.

Yup. We're only 7-7 but our SRS (margin of victory + strength of schedule for anyone who is not familiar) is 4.04, 9th best in the league. We have played the 4th toughest schedule out of Eastern Conference teams.

Now, some could argue that our MOV and SRS is heavily skewed by our three blowout wins out of a total of 14 games, but the fact is that few teams are able to win in blowout fashion as we did in 3 out of 14 games; being able to win in this fashion indicates what our potential is.

Our PythagoreanW-L record (based on ORtg and DRtg) is 9-5. All in all, we're moving in the right direction.

Last edited:
not a big fan of failed lower level coaches criticizing NBA coaches of a work in progress. Also, pretty bad timing with a lot of those criticisms coming before the wizards game where we did most everything they said we won't do.

I don't think there was any lineup last night where one of the Big 3 wasn't on the floor before garbage time. This was the case despite some minor foul trouble for Love.
We really don't have much offensive production off our bench and we have an abundance in our starting lineup. Glad that Blatt has figured that out.

We're using the Lebron/Love PnR more and this should sill start being emphasized even more. Love is a good finisher and has shown not only the 3 point range but the ability to drive off the 3 point line. When our offense gets stagnant against better defensive teams, this has the potential to be a Stockton/Malone like solution to unlocking any defense

I have been saying I think they can play defense. This was a pretty good test against a couple of large bulldogs in the front court too. The help defense is actually rotating and major props to Kyrie for helping close the holes in the Swiss cheese perimeter d.

Blatts the man. He is gonna go down as best cavs coach.

Yup. We're only 7-7 but our SRS (margin of victory + strength of schedule for anyone who is not familiar) is 4.04, 9th best in the league. We have played the 4th toughest schedule out of Eastern Conference teams.

Now, some could argue that our MOV and SRS is heavily skewed by our three blowout wins out of a total of 14 games, but the fact is that few teams are able to win in blowout fashion as we did in 3 out of 14 games; being able to win in this fashion indicates what our potential is.

Our PythagoreanW-L record (based on ORtg and DRtg) is 9-5. All in all, we're moving in the right direction.
Agree and beyond the numbers getting a win in Chicago, making that 4th Q comeback in Boston and going toe to toe with the champs along with the home blowout wins (especially ATL&WAS)to me are way more indicative of potential than the eggs laid against NYK&Denver.
I also view Blatt as clutch time coach. He and the team will ramp up their game as we move along.

Denver going on a 5 game winning streak after our win helped our SRS after what was at first considered a bad loss.
Too bad it also made it less likely that Denver is going to make a move: Between Mozgov and Chandler they have some nice pieces that would fit in well with our team.

As I already told you guys, keep calm and have faith in coach Blatt, he is one hell of a coach, he might have a bit of a learning curve but once he adjusts I think the cavs will have an advantage on any other NBA team in the HC position and that's important - just ask the spurs. and remember what I told you about coach Messina as the heir apparent for POP?
It would have been priceless to see him vs coach Blatt go at it in the NBA. Messina still has nightmares from last year I'm sure...

The cavs are on the upper side of the hill at the moment, but don't think for a minute that there won't be any more downs in the season. It's all about trusting the coaching staff & players throughout the hard times that counts.

At the end of the day, I believe the Cavs can go very far this season if things continue to click & the fans provide the needed confidence with their support.

Blasts first mission was and is to get LBJ to play to his MVP like ability, rather than attempt to act like a coach.
I think just like LBJ had his ten game deal to "play" their way the first ten then "his" way after that, Blatt may have allowed LBJ to feel his way into this team. All the players say his nothing but encouraging and supportive.
The last two games we've seen the LBJ we're used to seeing. More surprising, we've seen KI take is game up a notch too (maybe not surprising but great too see). Loves been a bit more comfortable.
Basically, the leaders are starting to lead, Blatts system will evolve and the defense is starting to come around.
It's never been how this team plays in November/December, but how it plays in May/June.

I am sort of in between on where things stand. I think the last couple of games have clearly showed that this team has the commitment to work, grow, and improve, and the talent to put up a solid winning record in the regular season (50+ wins would be my bet). But I think the season so far has also revealed real weaknesses that will emerge in a high intensity playoff series against a good team. Most notably, frontcourt size/athleticism and roster depth. Re the frontcourt, it goes beyond a rim protector, we are not nearly as dominant on the boards as we expected and we have an issue matching up with big centers/PFs. Re bench/roster depth, we all expected Dion/Marion/Miller to be significant contributors this year, but none of them are looking like they could give you much in a playoff context. We need everyone to be healthy, including Delly, going into the playoffs, *and* we need to avoid burning out our top five in the regular season because we are worried about the bench blowing games.

But per the last couple of games, perimeter defense against quick guards is looking TOTALLY different with Kyrie putting in an effort. I hope this is real and not some kind of fluke.

Yeah depth is looking like more of an issue than I expected. I really thought it would be a strength. I'm definitely wondering how much depth you can have with a top heavy team like this.

I can't wait for Delly. He Should settle Dion down and get the best out of him and the bench in general.

Last edited:
Delly will help the bench scoring problems a lot IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."