• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Kyrie Irving

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's very possible, but you don't just take potential for granted

Of course, that's why I said "is this assured? No."

you have to look for growth, and IMO this season has been primarily about getting Kyrie back on track.

No. Getting back on track, by definition, would be a regression to the mean, either in the positive or negative direction. By definition, that is not what has happened this season.

Instead, what we've seen is that when teams cannot triple team Kyrie, he's the most dangerous man on the floor.

What we've seen is a statistical leap, besting one of the Top 3 rookie seasons that has ever been recorded.

What we're seeing is someone who is coming into his own as a superstar.

So, we'll just have to see where he goes from here.

...Are you watching the games? He's been phenomenal this season.

He has shown a tendency to step-up to the moment, and sometimes that's all that matters.

Lol... when he hands Cleveland a championship, you'll still be carrying this torch huh?

Well, we know what the GM's were saying at the beginning of the season:

Who is the best point guard in the NBA?
Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 71.4%
2. Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City -- 10.7%
3. Tony Parker, San Antonio -- 7.1%
Also receiving votes: Stephen Curry, Golden State; Damian Lillard, Portland; Derrick Rose, Chicago
Last year: Chris Paul -- 70.0%

And at the end of 82 games.. No one in their right mind would put those three players over Steph Curry...

No one would put Lillard or Rose or Parker over Kyrie.

Your list demonstrates just how fast Kyrie is growing. He's a phenom.

How were his win-shares last year?

Hint: crap stat...

Sorry Jon, you're going to need to provide some proof, mathematically, why win shares is a crap stat.. I need some justification for this statement before I'll just toss it out of the conversation.

Let's be real, no matter what we view Kyrie. Is he a point guard, is he not a point guard. No one can tell me there's anyone his size, more gifted as a scorer than he is. You think those 50 point games were a fluke? He demonstrated fully, what an absolutely devastating and dominating scorer he can be at his position. I mean, the guy can literally take anyone, any size, and demolish him with his skill set.

What Kyrie has is surreal. Kyrie's biggest problem is still Kyrie. He's so talented, and so gifted, I still don't think he has fully realized everything he can do with his skill set. Sometimes he makes the game harder on himself than it needs to be. But when the game slows down even more for him, and he starts picking and choosing his attacks even better than he is now. You're going to see him lead the league in scoring one day. I fully believe he's a 28 a game guy one day.

LB's scoring is going to decline over the next 4-5 years, and Kyrie is eventually going to become the go-to offensive guy on the team. That's why LB came back, he knows he can't play the next 5 years the way he's played in Miami, and expect to continue to win championships. He's eventually going to have to pass the torch to someone else scoring wise.

Not necessarily take a back seat/Pippen role. LeBron will always be fully engaged in the offense, but not needing to score 28 a game in order for his teams to compete for titles.

If he went on the rate he was going in Miami, being able to compete for titles over the long haul would be short lived for LeBron.

Who fucking cares? This is a stupid debate.

In fact, what is the actual debate? Whether Wall is better than Kyrie in isolation? There is no answer to this question. This isn't golf. Who cares. These are the sorts of worthless philosophical debates that Jon lives for.

Old goat.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you're not aware of clutch statistics, or..?

Yes, in FIBA play, and I wasn't the only one either.

I dunno how you've been paying attention to either player if you think this.

Honestly, the two guys' career paths have been very similar.

You're right, people on this board love to flip-flop.. I've been telling guys for 4 years, Irving is a superstar in the making.

Wasn't really even referring to this board .... :chuckle: I mean, it's a Cavs board. Even last season when Irving was being pooped on, people probably thought he was the best PG in the league on here.

But I don't deny Irving is a superstar in the making. Glad he's with us.

Steph had the benefit of running a college team for full three years.
Kyrie played 11 games in college

Steph is a full four year older than Kyrie and has been in the NBA two more seasons than Kyrie

At the age of 23, Steph had 5.3 APG and 2.50 TO per game.
Kyrie this year at age 22: 5.2 APG and 2.50 TP per game
Kyrie hasn't even played a full season at age 23(just turned 23 March 23)

Stephs ascension as a true PG with a high assist total didn't happen until ages 24-26.

So was Steph just another "shoot first PG" his first 3 years in the league?

To be fair, Steph didn't run the point at Davidson until his junior year. His first two years, he was used more as a Reggie Miller type.

You didn't see elite play-making or passing ability for Steph early in his career either... Coming out of college, I don't think he ever had an assist :chuckle:

Who fucking cares? This is a stupid debate.

In fact, what is the actual debate? Whether Wall is better than Kyrie in isolation? There is no answer to this question. This isn't golf. Who cares. These are the sorts of worthless philosophical debates that Jon lives for.

Old goat.

Jon is a rich man's Mr. Blonde.

Kyrie and Wall went head to head last summer for a spot on Team USA. Wall got cut, Kyrie won MVP. Kyrie is a significantly better player now than he was a year ago.

Also, here is a link to the cumulative first 4 season player comparison of Kyrie vs Curry.

http://bkref.com/tiny/a79y3

Note that Curry was 2 years older and had 104 games of college experience before he entered the NBA. Kyrie is ahead in nearly every advanced stat. PER, VORP, WS, WS/48, and even has the higher assist %.

Last edited:
Kyrie and Wall went head to head last summer for a spot on Team USA. Wall got cut, Kyrie won MVP. Kyrie is a significantly better player now than he was a year ago.

Also, here is a link to the cumulative first 4 season player comparison of Kyrie vs Curry.

http://bkref.com/tiny/a79y3

Note that Curry was 2 years older and had 104 games of college experience before he entered the NBA. Kyrie is ahead in nearly every advanced stat. PER, VORP, WS, WS/48, and even has the higher assist %.

Who is the Team USA coach? :chuckle:

Anyways, this will be fun to revisit in 3 years. Somebody make a note.

And at the end of 82 games.. No one in their right mind would put those three players over Steph Curry...

No one would put Lillard or Rose or Parker over Kyrie.

Your list demonstrates just how fast Kyrie is growing. He's a phenom.

Last edited:
I'm so excited for him. I believe he's going to live up to the hype in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."