• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Browns 2015 Roster Moves

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I haven't been watching the preseason or keeping up with Browns news much, so maybe it isn't a surprise to anyone else, but I'm shocked we cut Phil Taylor. I'm not shocked he isn't starting for us, but I thought he would at least be a rotational player.

I haven't been watching the preseason or keeping up with Browns news much, so maybe it isn't a surprise to anyone else, but I'm shocked we cut Phil Taylor. I'm not shocked he isn't starting for us, but I thought he would at least be a rotational player.

You're definitely not the only one shocked. Actually, if you were to follow the team's off-season, you'd think he was definitely making it as the Browns guaranteed him over $5 million this year. Even the insiders over at The OBR had him making the roster. I think they realized he was closer to the bubble, but again, that $5 million guarantee cut is difficult to predict.

So...who is the backup nose tackle then? Because both of our NT from last year are gone now...

So...who is the backup nose tackle then? Because both of our NT from last year are gone now...

Jaccobi McDaniel would be a back-up nose, but I'm not thinking that they'll have a nose in there at all times. There will be times when Starks, Hughes, Meder, etc. man the middle, or even when the Browns go with 4 down linemen.

I see the move to cut Phil as a sign that Shelton will play a ton and when he's not playing, the Browns will have a less prototypical alignment.

As they should be.

3c5df7b311a71de12ba43d1db98d0a32.PNG

Hughes, Cooper, Meder have all had great camps and you still have Winn for depth, as well.

The odds of Phil Taylor ending up on IR were extremely high in my opinion. He looked like he could barely move against Tampa Bay.

Rather than play a guy who might be injured to the point where he can't be effective anymore and then IR-ing him anyway, they worked out an injury settlement and saved a few bucks.

Like Keys said, it was shocking because they did opt in on his contract. I mean, he wasn't making peanuts. So the fact at the time they were willing to bring him back, then cut him, is surprising.

I didn't think he was going to get cut. I heard rumblings about it, didn't believe they'd actually do it.

I was surprised. I don't think it was a bad move though. I don't think Taylor is a bad player, far from it. But you do got to wonder about his health going forward.

The Browns are pretty deep this year. They can't afford to keep a guy on the roster that they feel won't stay healthy. Especially when they drafted a guy to replace Taylor anyways.

Also, I wonder if some people's displeasure still goes back to the Julio Jones trade? I'm not going to sit here and say we won that trade. But I don't think we lost it that badly, either. I liked the trade at a value standpoint, I think we got good value. We unfortunately didn't make good on all our picks. But Phil Taylor definitely wasn't a mistake pick.

It's not like the Falcons are off winning super bowls with Jones. And if we didn't make the trade, and drafted Jones. We still would have sucked. So let's not pretend that trade seriously has haunted us. The Browns have made a lot of bad mistakes, I wouldn't qualify this one as a gigantic one they've made over the years.

If they made better use of their picks it would have been a good trade for the Browns. Instead it turned out to be a disappointment trade, but not colossal failed one though.

Last edited:
Browns told Taylor they were going to IR him. He asked to be released instead. They worked out a settlement. Not really that complicated. Injuries combined with another scheme change and Taylor's lack of production did him in.

Saying that none of the 2011 draft picks are still here as a sign it was a failure is disingenuous. Jordan Cameron and Buster Skrine are starting elsewhere. Jabaal Sheard was signed to be a key part of the Patriots end rotation. They got some talent but it either couldn't stay on the field of they decided the team was just too talented to keep them around.

Browns told Taylor they were going to IR him. He asked to be released instead. They worked out a settlement. Not really that complicated. Injuries combined with another scheme change and Taylor's lack of production did him in.

Saying that none of the 2011 draft picks are still here as a sign it was a failure is disingenuous. Jordan Cameron and Buster Skrine are starting elsewhere. Jabaal Sheard was signed to be a key part of the Patriots end rotation. They got some talent but it either couldn't stay on the field of they decided the team was just too talented to keep them around.

I agree, the 2011 draft was not good. I was just pointing out, at a value standpoint, the trade with Jones itself was very good, not bad at all.

But, wasting those picks on Brandon Fuckin' Weeden, Greg Little, and Owen Marecic made it a disaster.

I mean, talk about shitty draft selections. If they weren't so unlucky, and Torrey Smith wasn't taken ahead of Little (the guy I wanted that year, I was cursing when the Ravens selected him), the trade narrative would have looked a lot different.

But not only that, they clearly missed on another good receivers that were available. Randal Cobb could have been drafted by us.

I don't regret the trade, I regret the shitty selections they used via the trade.

At a value standpoint. I do that trade all day long, if I trust my front office isn't so incompetent.

I read that Josh Lenz got cut. I'll try finding a link.

Lenz & McDaniel cut - both tweeted it

Hope they can get Lenz onto the practice squad. Impressive kid.

Dylan Winn cut

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."