• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

David Blatt is a former NBA coach

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blatts lineups are a complete and utter joke. Biambo looks like an allstar out there because Blatt is for some reason using a line up that consists of only one big man, and that was Love. Love has to switch to double which leads for wide open dunks. I have no idea why James Jones is playing so much, let alone playing at all. The dude is 100% awful. Unless his shot in on, hes literally a useless body out there. He cant defend, he cant rebound. Wouldnt this be a good time to see what Sasha Kaun has? Is he not the one that would outplay Mozgov in international play? Our depth is useless because Blatt doesnt utilize it. Andy for some reason is barely seeing playing time.

I seriously hate Blatt. Hes a good character but his coaching skills are highly questionable. Not only that, the guy has excuses for days when we lose.

Injuries. Jesus.

Blatts lineups are a complete and utter joke. Biambo looks like an allstar out there because Blatt is for some reason using a line up that consists of only one big man, and that was Love. Love has to switch to double which leads for wide open dunks. I have no idea why James Jones is playing so much, let alone playing at all. The dude is 100% awful. Unless his shot in on, hes literally a useless body out there. He cant defend, he cant rebound. Wouldnt this be a good time to see what Sasha Kaun has? Is he not the one that would outplay Mozgov in international play? Our depth is useless because Blatt doesnt utilize it. Andy for some reason is barely seeing playing time.

I seriously hate Blatt. Hes a good character but his coaching skills are highly questionable. Not only that, the guy has excuses for days when we lose.

If anything.. you can disagree with his decisions, but you just don't get to coach a team like that (2nd season) unless you have some high Quality coaching skills. And coaching isn't entirely all about lineups. This is the beginning of the season and now is the time to play with some shitty lineups.. you either rest some players that way and/or roughen up scrubs.. so you can't really go that bad either way as far as coaching lineup decisions. james jones is a locker room leader and sometime he should at least get the chance to lead on court and teach real-time, alongside all of his faults as a veteran tired.

And I personally think that "having excuses" only means this guy knows what he is doing and able to be open about it. every one can be militant and hide their fault/disregard weaknesses, but having the balls to come out and say - listen - we are tired, we are injured, we are not good enough yet - is just being honest and on point, instead of in denial. When you have LeBron on the team as your rally up guy - you get to do some different stuff as a coach and in less of a need to pep-talk the guys.. and can worry more about things like injuries, minutes, mix&match lineups.. Lets wait for the playoffs to see blatt pushing the players to the limit and not having to give any excuses that are not there.. I totally believe in his ability to bring out the most of what he has at the right time in the right moment- and that is not right now.

Coach Blatt needs to get out of the zen mode and twat the thunderfuck out of some ref. Its getting beyond ridiculous.

the cavs played switching defense in the 4th quarter.. i guess blatt didnt trust love's defense this time.. had 18pt 16reb before the 4th and just played 4 secs.. if the cavs want to move foreward, the coaching staff needs to trust love in defensive situations and love has to step up his defensive intensity.. its a give and take.. kevin has to perform up to par with the defensive standards the coaching staff asks and i believe in return he'll be trusted to play more on crucial defensive moments..

This was never going to be an easy one. As I mentioned in the game thread, Charlotte came in with the 5th best offense, 7th best margin of victory, and 7th highest margin of victory.

1. I think Blatt and LeBron wanted this one badly which is why Delly and Moz played. Blatt was looking for defense, defense, and more defense and he shortened the bench in the second half by not bringing Mo back off the bench, keeping JJ on the bench, AND went with the TT/LBJ/JR/Jeff/Delly lineup for the 4th (keeping KLove on the bench) which was the ONLY lineup that could get any type of stops at all. Heading into the 4th, this team only had 6 sets of consecutive defensive stops (not counting ORebs) which is putrid. In fact, since the first 5 games of the year, this team has been having difficult stringing together consecutive stops. They couldn't buy a stop in the second or third quarters tonight. The 4th quarter defense was the best defense the team has played all year and only the fourth time this team has held another team under 20 points in the fourth quarter. You have to credit Blatt to have the balls to go with that lineup.

One of the reasons why this team went 33-3 with the Big Three playing after the trades last year is because Blatt shortened the bench. He was playing only 8 players for the most part (Kyrie, JR, Shump, LBJ, Moz, Love, Delly, and TT) and all of these were PLUS players for the Cavs last year. Now, we can't do that the entire way for the rest of the season, and last year was different due to multiple circumstances, but when push comes to shove in the playoffs, we will see these 8 players unless there's a trade that brings in a 3 and D player.

The Delly/Shump/LBJ/TT/Moz lineup was the best defensive lineup in the NBA last year and was NET +45 per 100 possessions last year. When this team is healthy, look for the same starting five as last year (Kyrie/JR/LBJ/Love/Moz), with James coming out at at the 4 minutes left mark or so of the first and then coming back with the defensive lineup (5 plus defenders this year--Delly/Shump/LBJ/TT/Moz) at the beginning of the 2nd in games that matter. If the lead gets big enough, we'll see Mo, Jefferson, JJ, et al., with probably Jeff the first one up, but in games that matter, I don't see an all-bench lineup out there. That's the benefit of having three first option type offensive players. What people forget about last year was that the injuries killed our ability to put both the best offensive and defensive lineups in the NBA out on the court.

2. Love is 13-20 from three in his last three games. In his last three games, his true shooting % is 70.6%. His TS% is 64% or greater for 6 consecutive games now. Last year, it was 60%+ in only 27 games and he has NEVER had a streak longer than 3 straight games of 60%+ TS until now. He needs more shots, honestly. He's also grabbed 14 offensive rebounds in the last 5 games. He had only two 5 game stretches last year with 14+ ORebs.

3. Delly was +11 an a NET +17. He's +143 for the season including double digit + games in 10 of the 15 games he's played (+29, +26,+15, +14, +14, +13, +12, +11 against MEM, ATL, MIA, ORL, IND, MIL, NYK, NYK, PHI).

4. This game snaps a streak of 6 straight games with 11+ threes. 6 straight games of 11+ threes was the fourth longest streak in NBA history.

Last 6 games: 14-29, 18-35, 11-29, 11-24, 11-33, 14-38.

Last edited:
One of the reasons why this team went 33-3 with the Big Three playing after the trades last year is because Blatt shortened the bench.

However, shortening the bench also meant none of those other guys got enough burn to contribute in the playoffs when things went off the rails.

I can't commend him (in general) on this strategy, especially this early in the season. I get they wanted a win, but for my part, I'd rather they focus on the process and the players.

Cutting our rotations short as a general rule when we're more healthy than we've been in weeks seems foolish, esp. in a back-to-back, but hey, they wanted to win, and it is Brooklyn who comes in next. Let's hope Cavs don't play like they know it's Brooklyn.

I don't agree with sitting LeBron at a home game, but I would indeed like him to play VERY limited minutes.

If anything.. you can disagree with his decisions, but you just don't get to coach a team like that (2nd season) unless you have some high Quality coaching skills. And coaching isn't entirely all about lineups. This is the beginning of the season and now is the time to play with some shitty lineups.. you either rest some players that way and/or roughen up scrubs.. so you can't really go that bad either way as far as coaching lineup decisions. james jones is a locker room leader and sometime he should at least get the chance to lead on court and teach real-time, alongside all of his faults as a veteran tired.

And I personally think that "having excuses" only means this guy knows what he is doing and able to be open about it. every one can be militant and hide their fault/disregard weaknesses, but having the balls to come out and say - listen - we are tired, we are injured, we are not good enough yet - is just being honest and on point, instead of in denial. When you have LeBron on the team as your rally up guy - you get to do some different stuff as a coach and in less of a need to pep-talk the guys.. and can worry more about things like injuries, minutes, mix&match lineups.. Lets wait for the playoffs to see blatt pushing the players to the limit and not having to give any excuses that are not there.. I totally believe in his ability to bring out the most of what he has at the right time in the right moment- and that is not right now.
I'm with you. Last year we also had people freaking out in December. Blatt is the real deal. At this point I'm convinced that if he was a fool he couldn't have kept this gig. Bron would have had him fired. But with all the none sense there is enough appreciation and respect there that Blatt is the guy. This team will be there when all the chips are on the table. You dont go into overdrive in November

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's most likely my one game this season I get to attend tomorrow night... since the NBA likes to fuck us over with the lack of weekend home games. So, ya, I'm really against any notion of LeBron sitting. Now, I am FOR the notion of making this an easy blowout and cutting minutes that way. I'd love to see me some live Sasha Kaun...

It would nice if Blatt found a way to limit Lebron minutes some, I mean Richard Jefferson is averaging 23 minutes a game but Lebron minutes are increasing more and more every week. The worse is how high his minutes are in losses. I can't wait until Kyrie and Shumpert get back and then hopefully RJ will exclusively be Lebrons back up instead of being in the line up with him at times. Thats my only problem with Blatt or if you know you are going to extend and play him basically the whole 4th you have to stick to your guns and regulate his minutes quarters 1-3 sit him the last 3 and the first 4 of the fourth and thats 7 minutes in the first half and them sit him the last 3 of the third and the first 3 or 4 of the 4th. Develop the roster it can't always be Lebron bail out plan. Thats would bring him down to about 34 a game or so .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."