• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

JR Smith

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Honestly, if he’s going to openly talk shit about the organization while he’s under contract, you shouldn’t have to pay him said contract.

What a douche.

Yeah for 15mil per year and his production he should dress up as Moondog and do cartwheels up and down the court at halftime if we want him too.

I'd be shocked if the Rockets don't reach out to us about JR. They're running on fumes with like 6 serviceable players and are desperately in need of rotation guys for depth. If he sucks, his contract allows them to clear up a bit of space next year, which they're also desperately in need of.

Something like Brandon Knight + a 1st rounder makes a lot of sense for both sides, and I'd jump at the chance to get an asset back for JR's malcontent ass.

I'd be shocked if the Rockets don't reach out to us about JR. They're running on fumes with like 6 serviceable players and are desperately in need of rotation guys for depth. If he sucks, his contract allows them to clear up a bit of space next year, which they're also desperately in need of.

Something like Brandon Knight + a 1st rounder makes a lot of sense for both sides, and I'd jump at the chance to get an asset back for JR's malcontent ass.

If we can get Brandon Knight and a 1st, it would be amazing. I think Knight could be a player we pump up and trade in the summer or next year's trade deadline. Even Knight and a pair of seconds would probably be worth it.

If we can get Brandon Knight and a 1st, it would be amazing. I think Knight could be a player we pump up and trade in the summer or next year's trade deadline. Even Knight and a pair of seconds would probably be worth it.
I'd make it more interesting and demand a 1st by offering to take Melo off their hands, giving them somebody like Dekker who can give them functional minutes. Nene's been hurt so they might like another player in the front court, not to mention he's a familiar face.

I'd make it more interesting and demand a 1st by offering to take Melo off their hands, giving them somebody like Dekker who can give them functional minutes. Nene's been hurt so they might like another player in the front court, not to mention he's a familiar face.

Yeah I forgot about Melo. I think any deal they do, they will want to dump Melo to save on luxury tax. I wouldn't mind including Dekker too if it gets us a first round pick.

The only problem is Melo can't be traded till December 15th and Knight might be ready to play by then.

I will stake my claim there are no teams who will give up a 1st rounder for JR. Houston needs rotation players, true. But how does JR factor into that? He's not a rotation player.

I will stake my claim there are no teams who will give up a 1st rounder for JR. Houston needs rotation players, true. But how does JR factor into that? He's not a rotation player.
Have you seen the players that Houston has been giving major minutes to? They're certainly not doing any worse with JR. From an outsider's perspective, they probably see the situation with the Cavs as toxic and perhaps think that a change of scenery would be good for him. JR has been anathema for a young, developing team, but they might appreciate his eagerness to compete on a team that still harbors contention aspirations.

And like I said above, worst case they just DNP him like Carmelo and take advantage of his contract structure by clearing some cap next year (which they need after Paul's franchise-crippling contract.)

The book might be out on JR, but it was also out on Carmelo yet Morey gave him a look anyways.

Have you seen the players that Houston has been giving major minutes to? They're certainly not doing any worse with JR. From an outsider's perspective, they probably see the situation with the Cavs as toxic and perhaps think that a change of scenery would be good for him. JR has been anathema for a young, developing team, but they might appreciate his eagerness to compete on a team that still harbors contention aspirations.

And like I said above, worst case they just DNP him like Carmelo and take advantage of his contract structure by clearing some cap next year (which they need after Paul's franchise-crippling contract.)

The book might be out on JR, but it was also out on Carmelo yet Morey gave him a look anyways.

JR hasnt been a useful player in years. This isnt a new thing. He threw soup at a coach last year.

If the Cavs bought him out Houston would give him a look. Maybe.

But giving Carmelo a vet minimum deal and trading a pick for JR are different things.

I think its probably a safer bet Knight comes back from injury and contributes more than JR manages to be a positive in a rotation.

Eagerness to compete? Like with us the last 2 years? The dude can’t play anymore, keep him and try move him for a pick from a team that wants cap for next season

JR hasnt been a useful player in years. This isnt a new thing. He threw soup at a coach last year.

If the Cavs bought him out Houston would give him a look. Maybe.

But giving Carmelo a vet minimum deal and trading a pick for JR are different things.

I think its probably a safer bet Knight comes back from injury and contributes more than JR manages to be a positive in a rotation.

It's more JRs contract than anything that makes him valuable to Houston. He has a unique contract under the old CBA that can be traded for it's full value in the summer instead of just the guaranteed amount. He can then be waived and save the new team 11+ million. Basically it gives them the tool to do another deal like the CP3 sign and trade. They need a contract like this because they are over the cap and will be for sometime.

JR being a player that they can fit into their system is just an added plus for the trade. Add to that they want to reduce their luxury tax by dumping Melo and could possibly want Dekker back, that where a 1st round pick comes into play.

They could hold on to Knight and hope he plays well for them this year while also building back up his value for the trade market next summer. If he gets hurt again he is a dead weight of a contract and makes their chances of making a splash deal in the summer way less possible. JRs contract is valuable in the summer regardless of if he is healthy or not.

Last edited:
It's more JRs contract than anything that makes him valuable to Houston. He has a unique contract under the old CBA that can be traded for it's full value in the summer instead of just the guaranteed amount. He can then be waived and save the new team 11+ million. Basically it gives them the tool to do another deal like the CP3 sign and trade. They need a contract like this because they are over the cap and will be for sometime.

JR being a player that they can fit into their system is just an added plus for the trade. Add to that they want to reduce their luxury tax by dumping Melo and could possibly want Dekker back, that where a 1st round pick comes into play.

They could hold on to Knight and hope he plays well for them this year while also building back up his value for the trade market next summer. If he gets hurt again he is a dead weight of a contract and makes their chances of making a slash deal in the summer way less possible. JRs contract is valuable in the summer regardless of if he is healthy or not.
Dekker can't be involved in a trade after the season and that is when JR is most valuable. Everyone including Hill and Korver are worth full value until the trade deadline.

They have had a cancer this year, so not sure they'd want Smith to play. They'd trade Brandon Knight in all likelihood, but that wouldn't get them anywhere near under the cap. They'd need to trade Gordon as well as a dump and Tucker to have cap space of any kind.

They could hold on to Knight and hope he plays well for them this year while also building back up his value for the trade market next summer. If he gets hurt again he is a dead weight of a contract and makes their chances of making a slash deal in the summer way less possible. JRs contract is valuable in the summer regardless of if he is healthy or not.

Definitely interesting.

Dekker can't be involved in a trade after the season and that is when JR is most valuable. Everyone including Hill and Korver are worth full value until the trade deadline.

They have had a cancer this year, so not sure they'd want Smith to play. They'd trade Brandon Knight in all likelihood, but that wouldn't get them anywhere near under the cap. They'd need to trade Gordon as well as a dump and Tucker to have cap space of any kind.

I'm saying they trade for JR and Dekker now. It helps them now get more rotation players. JRs contract is valuable to them so they can pair it with Gordon's contract in the summer in a opt in and trade like CP3 did 2 years ago. It's not about getting cap space to sign someone out right but to do a opt in and trade.

They will most likely want to dump Melo to another team and not chance him clearing waivers. Other teams aren't going to do Houston any favors on the waiver wire and I can't see a team risking picking up Melo. It better just to sign Melo so everyone knows they are on the same page. Melo might actually get extra money if someone wants to use their Bi-annual or part of their MLE to sign him.

The way I see it is they would have to give up a decent 2nd round pick to dump Melo. Same if they wanted a player like Dekker. No one want their current 2nd round pick because it most likely will be between 50-60. Giving up their 2019 1st round pick isn't that much more than having to find good 2nd round picks. JRs contract gives them more certainty to execute a opt in and trade deal. Like you said above, they don't have a good path to cap space, if Knight gets hurt after the deadline, they can kiss getting better in the summer good bye.

Also JR has a 6/30/19 opt in date while Korver has a 7/7/19 and Hill has a 7/2/19. That makes a difference in how they can be used.

Last edited:

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."