• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

2014 Minor League Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AZ_

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Cleveland Indians Top 10 prospects: <a href="http://t.co/9tvWuhVsTN">http://t.co/9tvWuhVsTN</a></p>&mdash; Ben Badler (@BenBadler) <a href="https://twitter.com/BenBadler/statuses/420935857818722304">January 8, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TOP 10 PROSPECTS
1. Francisco Lindor, ss
2. Clint Frazier, of
3. Trevor Bauer, rhp
4. Tyler Naquin, of
5. Cody Anderson, rhp
6. Dorssys Paulino, ss
7. Ronny Rodriguez ss/2b
8. C.C. Lee, rhp
9. Jose Ramirez 2b/ss
10. Austin Adams, rhp

BEST TOOLS
Best Hitter for Average Francisco Lindor
Best Power Hitter Clint Frazier
Best Strike-Zone Discipline Francisco Lindor
Fastest Baserunner Jose Ramirez
Best Athlete D’vone McClure
Best Fastball Trey Haley
Best Curveball Trevor Bauer
Best Slider C.C. Lee
Best Changeup Trevor Bauer
Best Control Kyle Crockett
Best Defensive Catcher Roberto Perez
Best Defensive Infielder Francisco Lindor
Best Infield Arm Erik Gonzalez
Best Defensive Outfielder Tyler Naquin
Best Outfield Arm Tyler Naquin

TOP 15 PLAYERS 25 AND UNDER
No Player, Pos (Age) Peak Level
1. Francisco Lindor, ss (20) Double-A
2. Danny Salazar, rhp (24) Majors
3. Clint Frazier, of (19) Rookie
4. Lonnie Chisenhall, 3b (25) Majors
5. Trevor Bauer, rhp (23) Majors
6. Tyler Naquin, of (22) Double-A
7. Cody Allen, rhp (25) Majors
8. Cody Anderson, rhp (23) Double-A
9. Dorssys Paulino, ss (19) Low Class A
10. Ronny Rodriguez ss/2b (21) Double-A
11. Jose Ramirez, 2b/ss (21) Majors
12. Kyle Crockett, lhp (22) Double-A
13. Francisco Mejia, c (18) Rookie
14. Luigi Rodriguz, of (21) High Class A
15. Carlos Moncrief, of (25) Double-A

2014 Cleveland Indians Top 10 Prospects
January 8, 2014 by Jim Shonerd

After five years out of the limelight, the Indians were an attraction again in 2013. With World Series-winning manager Terry Francona installed at the helm, Cleveland charged to a 21-6 record in September and snagged a wild-card berth, their first playoff appearance since 2007. The season came to a disappointing end, however, in a home loss to the Rays in the American League Wild Card game.

While the Indians have become relevant again, their improvement was largely thanks to veteran acquisitions rather than youth

In addition to putting Francona in the dugout, the Indians signed free agents Nick Swisher, Jason Giambi and Michael Bourn. It helped also that Ubaldo Jimenez, largely a disappointment for most of his tenure in Cleveland since coming over in a blockbuster trade in 2011, reinvigorated his career by going 13-9, 3.30 for the season and 4-0, 1.09 in September.

The farm system played a relatively minor part in the Indians’ reversal of fortunes. Just four players who made meaningful contributions were fully homegrown, led by second baseman Jason Kipnis, who became an all-star in his second full season in the majors.

Rookie righthander Danny Salazar was the only homegrown pitcher to start a game for Cleveland in 2013, though he was instrumental to the Tribe’s September run. He posted a 3.33 ERA after joining the rotation in August to help compensate for Justin Masterson going down with an oblique injury. He even got the start in the Wild Card game against Tampa Bay, though he took the loss. But outside of Salazar, rookie reliever Cody Allen was the only other homegrown pitcher to see significant action.

The Indians struggled to get good returns when they traded Cy Young Award-winning southpaws C.C. Sabathia and Cliff Lee in 2008 and 2009, which set back their rebuilding process. They sold off another productive veteran prior to the 2013 season when they gave up Shin-Soo Choo in a three-team deal with the Reds and Diamondbacks, landing righthanders Trevor Bauer and Bryan Shaw from Arizona. Shaw contributed 70 appearances and a 3.24 ERA out of the bullpen, but Bauer was a disappointment.

The No. 3 overall pick in the 2011 draft, Bauer rarely got on track at Triple-A Columbus and put up an uninspiring 4.15 ERA. He made just four big league starts during the season, and the club didn’t bother calling him up during the pennant race in September.

As was the case in past trades for Choo, Carlos Santana and Asdrubal Cabrera, the Indians score better on the margins. For example, they got catcher Yan Gomes along with utilityman Mike Aviles from the Blue Jays for Esmil Rogers. The first Brazilian to ever play in the majors, Gomes hit .294/.345/.481 for the Indians to force his way into the lineup, leading to Santana spending more time at DH.

Other than an imminent changing of the guard at shortstop from Cabrera to top prospect Francisco Lindor, the Indians will have to lean heavily on their current core in the immediate future. The system has few true impact players outside of Lindor and 2013 first-rounder Clint Frazier, the reigning BA High School Player of the Year. Whatever contributions the team gets from young players in 2014 will probably be from relievers such as righthanders Austin Adams and C.C. Lee, along with a hoped-for rebound from Bauer.

Wow, no love for Jesus Aguilar. I would have at least thought he could break the 25 and under list in the teens.

Wow, no love for Jesus Aguilar. I would have at least thought he could break the 25 and under list in the teens.

Slow bat is a slow bat. I'm not holding out much hope either.

Is Austin Adams being projected as a reliever at the next level? I remember all the hype he was getting a couple years ago with his fastball reaching triple digits, but I didn't hear much last year. Injury?

2014 Minor League Preview: Cleveland Indians

December 18, 2013 | Fantasy Baseball Prospects | 43 Comments
by: Scott Evans+

Organizational Talent Rankings via Baseball America
2013 (20) | 2012 (29) | 2011 (7) | 2010 (3) | 2009 (7)

2013 Affiliate Records
MLB: [92-70] AL Central
AAA: [71-73] International League — Columbus
AA: [68-73] Eastern League — Akron
A+: [57-83] Carolina League — Carolina
A: [54-83] Midwest League — Lake County
A(ss): [30-44] New York-Penn League — Mahoning Valley

Graduated Prospects
Yan Gomes (C); Cody Allen (RHP); Danny Salazar (RHP); Nick Hagadone (LHP)

The Run Down
The Tribe are coming off a surprisingly successful campaign in 2013, winning 92 games and earning a spot in the postseason. Big league acquisitions had a lot to do with that success, but a fair amount of it needs to be attributed to homegrown talent, too. At age 26, Jason Kipnis isn’t quite a youngster anymore, but he was drafted and developed by this org, and his breakout year can’t be ignored. The same can be said for graduating prospects, Yan Gomes and Danny Salazar, both of whom offered value in the fantasy game (Gomes was actually acquired via Toronto, but you get the idea). What remains on the Cleveland farm is a nice collection of talent, including two top-50 prospects, and perhaps a couple more in the 50-100 range. Pitching is the glaring weakness here, and only one pitcher makes this top 10. Of course, when considering that shortage on the pitching side of things, it’s probably important to also consider that the Tribe graduated Salazar, Corey Kluber, and Zach McAllister in the last two seasons. Not too shabby.

Top Ten Fantasy Prospects
1. Clint Frazier, OF: Frazier is a superb athlete offering high-impact potential across the board in fantasy. Drafted 8th overall last June, the 19-year-old is yet to reach a full-season level, so there’s quite a bit to be learned. It’s also worth noting that toolsy high school outfielders can be high-risk investments — just ask Kansas City about Bubba Starling. Reports on Frazier, however, are glowing from every source in the industry, and that bodes well. I expect to see Cleveland hand him a full-season assignment at Low-A Lake County to begin 2014, where his considerable tools could lead to a Byron Buxton-type breakout. I slotted Frazier at #31 in my Mid-Season Top 50. He could easily crack the top 10 on that list before 2014 is through. ETA: 2017

2. Francisco Lindor, SS: Lindor is undoubtedly the best baseball prospect in this org, but looking strictly at fantasy, he falls a bit short of the top of the list. Back in June, I highlighted the 20-year-old as a highly-touted prospect to be wary of. Here was my spiel, which still holds: ”Lindor is a master in the field, a real-life Henry Skrimshander. The arm is plus, the hands are plus-plus, and the instincts and feel are otherworldly. I watched him play Midwest League ball last summer, and it didn’t take long to realize the remarkable nature of his defensive game, and exactly how that sort of attribute can elevate a prospect’s status to elite levels. Lindor will be a top 10 prospect on many lists this offseason, and rightfully so. But his fantasy impact doesn’t figure to be as great as the names that will surround him on those lists. Not that he’s an incompetent hitter — the 19-year-old his hitting .308/.379/.414 with 18 SB through 69 games at High-A Carolina — but it’s probably unwise to expect high-impact numbers from him at the plate. And don’t get me wrong here, Lindor will eventually be a useful fantasy option at a shallow position, hitting for decent average, stealing bags in the double digits, and running into a homer once or twice a month. I just wouldn’t expect that sort of production too soon after arrival.” ETA: Late 2014

3. Trevor Bauer, RHP: Given his deep arsenal of plus pitches, you’d be crazy to quit on Bauer just yet. There just aren’t many arms around baseball that can deliver the type of stuff that Bauer’s can, so it’d be ill-advised to dismiss him at age 22. Now, all that said, Bauer needs to make significant strides in both command and sequencing — he walked 5.4 batters per 9 IP in 2013, which is godawful. His stubbornness has been noted, and has certainly contributed to his struggles, but that’s a personality trait that he should be able to work past as he matures, and once he does, he’ll be better suited to compete at the highest level. Let’s hope that maturation begins to reveal itself this season. ETA: 2014

4. Francisco Mejia, C: I’m a sucker for catcher prospects who can hit, and Mejia can hit. Same as Frazier, he’s yet to reach the full-season level, and we’ll have a much better feel for the 18-year-old’s outlook once he settles into a Low-A assignment. For now, Mejia looks like a long-term catcher with plenty of raw power, and ability to hit for average. If that skill set keeps developing, this could be an elite-level catcher prospect for fantasy purposes. One warning: Extreme patience will be required of anyone looking to add Mejia in a dynasty league. ETA: 2018

5. Dorssys Paulino, SS: Paulino’s full-season debut wasn’t overly impressive on paper (.246/.297/.349 with 5 HR, and 12 SB), but the 19-year-old still brings plenty of upside to the fantasy game. The tools are here to hit 20+ HR while batting .300. From a shortstop, that’d be huge production, but unless he’s traded to another org, it seems unlikely that Paulino will surface at short. ETA: 2016

6. Jose Ramirez, 2B: Ramirez has already earned some time in the bigs — a late-season cup-of-coffee, during which he hit .333/.429/.500. The 21-year-old has on-base skills and serious speed — he should steal 30+ bags in a regular role. Ramirez is ready for an extended look in Cleveland, but playing time is going to be hard to come by for as long as he’s buried behind Jason Kipnis on the depth chart. ETA: 2014

7. Joe Wendle, 2B: Wendle, a 6th round pick in 2012, did nothing but surpass expectations in his first full season of pro ball: .295/.372/.513, 16 HR, and 10 SB through 474 PA at High-A Carolina. His tools aren’t flashy, but he can square up pitches and spray liners all over the field. The hit tool is definitely a plus weapon, and as Matt Carpenter has made clear, it’s probably silly to sleep on anyone who hits this well, regardless of the rest of his profile. ETA: 2015

8. Jesus Aguilar, 1B: Aguilar features big boy power, a tool which will definitely translate at the big league level, provided he can make regular contact. The 23-year-old tweaked his approach in 2013 and saw his whiff rate dip by 9 points. The Indians are hopeful that the adjustments will lead to more regular in-game power at Triple-A in 2013. If that’s the case, expect to see Aguilar in Cleveland at some point this year. ETA: 2014

9. Ronny Rodriguez, SS: Rodriguez is a toolsy MI with significant upside in the fantasy game, but approach problems have prevented him from realizing his potential thus far. The 21-year-old struggled in his first year of upper-levels baseball, hitting .265/.291/.376 with just 5 homers in 116 games. He might never become the complete hitter that Cleveland fans are hoping for, but there’s potential here for 20-25 HR and decent average. With Lindor and Kipnis entrenched in the middle infield for the foreseeable future, however, Rodriguez probably surfaces as a 3B. ETA: 2015

10. Tyler Naquin, OF: Naquin is rather unspectacular for fantasy purposes. He has an okay stick that could allow him to hit in the .280-.290 range at the ML-level, but that’s a perfect world projection, and there’s very little impact coming from him in the other categories. Plus makeup could allow him to surpass this outlook, but for now, I’m not interested in most dynasty formats. ETA: 2015

http://razzball.com/2014-minor-league-preview-cleveland-indians/

Is Austin Adams being projected as a reliever at the next level? I remember all the hype he was getting a couple years ago with his fastball reaching triple digits, but I didn't hear much last year. Injury?

First season back from surgery, performed pretty well and looks like he was getting it back. This is a big year for him at age 27 already.

Ok serious question here. If Frazier puts up numbers in every Class that he's in, could we see a Trout/Harper type promotion? I feel like 2017 is still a long ways away. I know he's 19 but seeing those 2 guys and the potential Frazier has. Just something I was thinking about.

Ok serious question here. If Frazier puts up numbers in every Class that he's in, could we see a Trout/Harper type promotion? I feel like 2017 is still a long ways away. I know he's 19 but seeing those 2 guys and the potential Frazier has. Just something I was thinking about.

He'd have to take a pretty sizable leap developmentally.

His strikeout numbers last season were very concerning. For reference, he struck out 61 times in 196 PA's last season. In Trout's first season, he struck out 28 times in 207 PA's between two levels.

I don't get why Frazier wants to be compared to Trout. Not even close to a similar player

Jimmy Rollins is one comp that comes to mind.

Granted, I haven't seen Lindor nearly enough, but the comparison that a couple people (including Jim Bowden) made was Barry Larkin. Do you see it?

Granted, I haven't seen Lindor nearly enough, but the comparison that a couple people (including Jim Bowden) made was Barry Larkin. Do you see it?

I'm not sure the power ever gets quite to where Barry's was, he had a few years there where he was a .900+ OPS guy.

With that said, some cross between Jimmy Rollins and Barry Larkin is about as good as it gets when it comes to the potential of a shortstop.

What makes Lindor most interesting to me is the leadership potential like both of those guys above had. He's just a natural leader and guys sort of follow the lead. Those sorts of personalities are really great to have, especially when it's matched by elite talent.

Just pray he stays healthy and they'll have themselves an All-Star.

the thought of having two high impact talents (Frazier and Lindor) playing together makes me smile

the thought of having two high impact talents (Frazier and Lindor) playing together makes me smile

Those are certainly the elite prospects this system has lacked for a while, but I'm far from sold on Frazier long-term. He's got to get better as an all-around hitter.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."