1. RCF Will Be In Flux For a few. I'm going as fast as I can correcting issues. We should be good to go by Monday. Sorry you have to deal with this bland board until then.

Cleveland Browns Select Baylor WR Josh Gordon

Discussion in 'Browns Talk' started by cdt, Jul 12, 2012.

1. cdt

cdt Oh My God! Staff Member

2nd round of the NFL supplemental draft today. I'm so pumped we got him, big physical freak, monster hands, 4.4-4.5 speed.

6'3" 224 elite speed, finally got a prototypical #1 WR in terms of measurables. Now we have to see if he can develop mentally.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h6R_VKhnpNA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Discuss...

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
    15 people like this.
  2. Phills14

Phills14 Cleveland Cavaliers Fan Staff Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I was also told that between A.J. Green and Julio Jones, Josh Gordon was closer to Green.</p>&mdash; Tony Grossi (@TonyGrossi) <a href="https://twitter.com/TonyGrossi/status/223468312888229888" data-datetime="2012-07-12T17:26:12+00:00">July 12, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>I heard this morning that Josh Gordon would be a top 10 pick in 2013. Evidently, <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523Browns">#Browns</a> agreed.</p>&mdash; Tony Grossi (@TonyGrossi) <a href="https://twitter.com/TonyGrossi/status/223468050249289730" data-datetime="2012-07-12T17:25:09+00:00">July 12, 2012</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Source said <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%2523Browns">#Browns</a> had Josh Gordon in for a visit last week. Gave him physical and thorough interview. It was love at first sight.</p>&mdash; Tony Grossi (@TonyGrossi) <a href="https://twitter.com/TonyGrossi/status/223468696209862657" data-datetime="2012-07-12T17:27:43+00:00">July 12, 2012</a></blockquote>

That is a risky move by the Browns. The guy hasn't played in 2 years so using what would seem to be a high 2nd round pick on him is a lot. However; if he can live up to that kind of praise, it was a pretty cheap and shrewd move. Grossi also said he scored a 24 on a wonderlick exam which is pretty high for a WR.

8 people like this.
  3. howler1313

howler1313 Preview Team

Can someone give me a detailed scouting report? I don't know much at all about him save for the fact that he hasn't played much and that he's an athletic specimen.

4. Urban

Urban September 14

So why is he in the Supplemental Draft?

5. Randolphkeys

Randolphkeys Admittedly Pompous Staff Member

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/7/11/3154164/nfl-supplemental-draft-2012-josh-gordon-scouting-report

11 people like this.
  6. Amherstcavsfan

Amherstcavsfan Duh

Financial issues at home. He was going to play for Utah, but changed his mind two days before the cut off of the Supplemental Draft. Was suspended indefinitely from Baylor for failing a drug test *weed.*

7. DDJ7777

DDJ7777 Cleveland Sports Homer

Yes please.

2 people like this.
  8. AZ_

AZ_ Well-Known Member

Well done boys, well done.

Probably won't see too much of this kid in 2012, but my hope is he can make a Greg Little-esque turnaround with hard work.

This kid is super raw.

9. Randolphkeys

http://network.yardbarker.com/college_football/article_external/josh_gordon_scouting_report/11195761

2 people like this.
  10. Spectre

Spectre Playin' for keeps...

Love, love, love having a high upside potential #1 WR finally. We were going to take a WR next year anyway so it's not like we weren't going to spend a high pick on one... it may be a steep price but look at the guys who have gone in the 2nd in the past 5 years (excluding 2012):

2011 - Titus Young, Torrey Smith, Greg Little, Randall Cobb
    2010 - Dexter McCluster, Arrelious Benn, Golden Tate
    2009 - Brian Robiskie, Mohammed Massaquoi
    2008 - Donnie Avery, Devin Thomas, Jordy Nelson, James Hardy, Eddie Royal, Jerome Simpson, DeSean Jackson, Malcolm Kelly, Limas Sweed, Dexter Jackson
    2007 - Sidney Rice, Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith (the injured one)

How many of those guys profile as #1s? I'd argue even the best on that list (DeSean, Nelson, Rice) are complementary guys and there are TONS of busts. The point is, drafting a WR is a gamble regardless (especially outside the 1st) and finding a guy with Gordon's upside is not easy.

Don't forget, Heckert has done TONS of Baylor scouting and LOVES picks. If he didn't feel really strongly about Gordon, he wouldn't have been so aggressive... have some faith. He improves our worst position group and gives us a guy with true #1 potential... and it came at the price of a future pick that if we traded in the draft in June for a 2012 pick would've gotten us a 3rd rounder in return.

I feel MUCH better about our WRs both now and in the future than I did yesterday. How about you?

8 people like this.
  11. Pyro

Pyro Banned

I like this. Team is finally heading in the right direction.

12. ajz20

ajz20 Draft Guru

Josh Gordon ‏@JOSH_GORDONXII

Let's go!! #DawgPoundNation

13. Sly

Sly New Member

I'm not really sure what to think. We'll find out if he can play or not really soon. I struggle to believe the hype that he would have been a top-10 selection in a normal draft class, like some has stated. Supposedly we ended up with the second selection of round two and only the Bills could have outbid us. So tossing in a likely high 2nd probably means we weren't high enough in the 3rd round order to get him. I'm speculating that Holmgren refused to let Dan Snyder stick it to him again. H&H typically take guys with several years production. Because it's out of character, I feel like it's a reach even if he is good, and an indictment on our current receivers. We all knew they sucked as a unit anyway, but this is a bit of an admission. It definitely took balls to make the pick and it's a small indicator the the organization feels it's getting close to being competitive.

14. cdt

cdt Oh My God! Staff Member

Weaknesses:
    Will his speed translate to the NFL? Yes, duh.
    *Quickness? He'll be plenty quick
    *Year-long suspension for drug issue Over and done with
    *Runs too upright So did Adrian Peterson
    *Raw, unpolished We'll polish him

2 people like this.
  15. ajz20

ajz20 Draft Guru

Tom Withers ‏@twithersAP
    Browns coach Pat Shurmur on WR Josh Gordon: "he possesses the skill and ability to be an outstanding player in this league."
    Expand

1m Brandon Weeden Brandon Weeden ‏@bweeden3

@JOSH_GORDONXII Congrats bud! Lookin forward to getting to work!

Richardson, Weeden, Gordon debut... The trip up from Tampa will be well worth it!!!

16. Deezus

Deezus Hey!! Chris Broussard...

CDT,

Are you saying you like Gordon as much as you like Hughes?!

17. AZ_

AZ_ Well-Known Member

Yeah, usually when I think of "the right direction" I think of a 2nd round supplemental pick on a guy who hasn't played in a year with a couple marijuana arrests which got him kicked out of school.

1 person likes this.
  18. caf

caf Banņed

I have the boner the size of a 747 right now.

This offense is going to be so much better with these rookies than it has been for the past decade. Things are looking up.

Taking this guy in my fantasy football rookie draft fo sho.

1 person likes this.
  19. el_capitan

el_capitan Well-Known Member

We were the second pick of every round, so we would have had the second pick in the third round as well.

20. Randolphkeys

It seems that he had one arrest, and he was the passenger in the vehicle:

http://kimoracochran.com/baylors-willie-jefferson-josh-gordon-arrested-marijuana-charges/

The situation seems to be Gordon being in Jefferson's car at the wrong time while high on weed. I've seen far worse things from Gordon's perspective. Now if he owned the car with multiple bags of marijuana hidden inside or was driving the car, that would be different in my book. If you know of more than one incident, b00bie, please share...

2 people like this.