1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.
  3. Please select the "Splash-Mobile" style if ads are breaking your tablet/phone's browser.

Farewell to Jarrett Jack

Discussion in 'Cavs Talk' started by Ben Jackson, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Ben Jackson

Ben Jackson Editor

Read the full story here and you follow our newest writer @RCFJLockwood

• Like Like x 11
  2. AuxiliaryPie

AuxiliaryPie Real Cavs Fan

Re: Quiet, but deadly offseason move by Cavs — Jarrett Jack

I really dig your articles, pretty good reads for the slowest part of the basketball year. Thanks!

Edit- i vote for 2 J's as a nickname.. id love yelling it after he drains a big shot

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob

Rob Best of the Land

You gotta say it like 2 chainz though

TWO JAYYYYSSS

• Like Like x 2
  4. Douglar

Douglar Intentionally Grounded Staff Member

OK, I can't help myself. I thought the expression was "Silent but deadly".

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  5. BKnight's Ankle

BKnight's Ankle Sergey Karasev's #1 Fan

I'm just gonna keep calling him "Jack off"

regardless of if it's a good play or not.

6. Ben Jackson

Ben Jackson Editor

Thank you sir! This post actually came from Josh, one of our newest writers. This was his first post! I've written the other articles you've seen come up this week.

My vision for the site is that I contribute more of a "Cavs Grantland" type stories where Josh posts actual breakdowns. Hopefully others like the content as well!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ben Jackson

Ben Jackson Editor

Hahahahaha. I think Josh intentionally went with "Quiet, but deadly" to avoid the connection

8. BKnight's Ankle

BKnight's Ankle Sergey Karasev's #1 Fan

Jack seems to have everyone's consensus as a great move.

When I talk to all my friends, they scrutinize Bennett, Bynum, and Clark, but one thing we all agree on, is that Jack was a great signing.

Love it. Love it. Love it.

9. Alec Zander

Alec Zander Towel Waver

How is Jack as a defender? When he played with Curry, who guarded the 2s?

10. Randolphkeys

Randolphkeys Admittedly Pompous Staff Member

Jack is physical on defense, but makes mental errors. In Golden State, Thompson would defend the best offensive opponent while Curry defended the weakest in the back court to stay out of foul trouble. Jack would draw the assignment in the middle, often defending guys much bigger and stronger. I did see him blow some assignments regularly, follow the wrong man off the pick and roll. He is so good on the offensive side and so good at working with young players that its easy to look past the mental errors on defense.

• Like Like x 2
  11. AuxiliaryPie

i tweeted to him a few times last night saying "#2Jz" but he never responded :(

its gonna happen regardless

• Like Like x 1
  12. Biw

Biw The One Who Knocks

[video=youtube_share;XFkzRNyygfk]http://youtu.be/XFkzRNyygfk[/video]

13. Tornicade

Tornicade High five!

On Media Day, Jarrett Jack first mentioned that a suitable nickname for him might be "2 Jz" (a reference to rapper "2 Chainz" and, of course, Jack's initials). Not too long ago, he confirmed the endorsement of the nickname. This morning after shootaround at the Warriors practice facility, Jack told me whether it had anything to do with his uniform number 2. He also reacted to a nickname Twitter came up with for his lean-back jumper, and his thoughts on his chances for the Sixth Man Award.
    PMC: Is there any correlation between your nickname "2 Jz" and the number 2 on the back of your jersey?
    2 Jz: Not really. No. 2 is my little brother Justin's. He wore number two all his life. When I got traded to New Orleans, #1 and #3 had already been taken, so I said, Hey why not wear number two, represent my little brother?
    PMC: Favorite 2 Chainz song?
    2 Jz: Ooh, that's a tough one. That's my guy. I live in Atlanta. I've been knowing Tauheed (Epps) -- that's his real name -- super, super long. Favorite 2 Chainz song? Hmmm... The one with him and Lil Wayne. He performed it at the VMAs. I forget what it's called, it's a dope, dope record. [Note: The song is "Yuck".]
    PMC: Your twitter handle has the number 3 (@JarrettJack03). "3" is from your previous number?
    2 Jz: Yeah, I wore 3 pretty much all my life, wore it in college at Georgia Tech. Stephon Marbury is (sic) my favorite player, so that's the inspiration behind that.
    PMC: There are some nicknames out there for your jumpshot. There's The Yawn and then there's the Barca Lounger.
    2 Jz: The what?!!!
    PMC: THE YAWN! And the barcalounger, because you lean back.
    2 Jz: (laughs)
    PMC: What are your thoughts on those?
    2 Jz: I mean, I guess I gotta go with them. The thing with nicknames is you don't really pick them, they kinda pick you, so if that's what it is, then I'm rolling with it.
    PMC: Alright, and then sort of a serious question is do you prefer starting or coming off the bench? [Note: I hate asking these vanilla media questions but at this point the elapsed time had only been one minute thirty seconds; will try to avoid in future minis!]
    2 Jz: It doesn't matter. At the end of the day, I just try to contribute in a positive way to my team. That's not a politically correct answer or whatever, it's just the honest truth.
    PMC: Thoughts on Sixth Man Award?
    2 Jz: It's great to be mentioned, but you know I'm always about trying to get to the playoffs. That's one of the most incredible feelings I've felt as a professional and I just wanna feel it again. [Note: In 2011 the New Orleans Hornets, with Jack on the team, made the playoffs.]

http://www.chatsports.com/golden-st...z-2-Chainz-Stephon-Marbury-and-more-2-7335229

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  14. AuxiliaryPie

Huh. Cool interview!

...suck it, Biw /s

• Like Like x 1
  15. mhi

mhi Situational Stopper

Pretty much. I would compare his off the ball defense to Waiters'.

16. BA_CavsFan

BA_CavsFan Sixth Man

• Like Like x 3
  17. Randolphkeys

Randolphkeys Admittedly Pompous Staff Member

Jack has some warts on the defensive end, that is why he has played for so many teams and the Warriors let him walk in favor of Iggy for twice the price. That said, he is an asset on the offensive end and will speed up development of young players on that end. Its what he does, and always has. Bet he ends up a damn good assistant coach when he retires.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tornicade

Tornicade High five!

as long as he doesnt coach off the ball switches :werd:

19. Free Agency God

Free Agency God Birthing All-Stars

With having mostly offensive players for our best players in Kyrie, Dion, Bennett, Bynum, Jack, Karasev, etc. combined with us picking up Igor for our offensive coach, we're going to be REALLY fun to watch because our offense will probably look pretty damn good. Also, Mike Brown is probably going to be so stressed with teaching a mostly 25-and-under team defense that he will be growing his hair out just so he can rip it out. :chuckles:

20. Tornicade

Tornicade High five!

I dont think Mike Brown will be stressed at all. In fact I think he will be coming in with a chip on his shoulder after the lakers hired him to coach the team with no freedom to incoporate any of the philosphies that got him hired.

Brown will be happy to get a chance to teach a full crew who will buy into his system and see it pay dividends.

Defnesively youll see Waiters and Irving attacking the ball as early as possible forcing a half court game thats a mixture man to man with a disguised zone. The defense itself has a natural feel to players once learned as evidenced with the struggle former brown plaeyers had adjusting to a more traditional style defense.

Jack is an excellent on the ball defender. He will work well within Browns System and I doubt you see him frequently lost off the ball as the rotations have a natural team read to it that creates less confusion.

Brown will for the first time have the full green light to implement his philosophies on the court.

Of course there will be some growing pains but a healthy Anderson Varejao, along with veterans like Jarret Jack,CJ Miles and to some extent Bynum will help smooth those out. Also Irving and Thompson will be entering their third years. typically the amount of time it takes for young players to come into their own in regard to team defense.