1. From courtside seating to loudville Amazing Tickets offers a fantastic selection of Cavs tickets at the cheapest prices found anywhere.

Is Demarcus Cousins worth the risk??

Discussion in 'Trades, Free Agency, & the Draft' started by bigfoot5415, Dec 26, 2012.

?

Should we make a move for Demarcus Cousins

Poll closed Jan 15, 2013.
  1. Trade for him if possible

68 vote(s)
    56.2%
  2. Not worth the risk

46 vote(s)
    38.0%
  3. We (or a 3rd team) dont have the assets

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. No one wants to Boogie in Cleveland

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. bigfoot5415

bigfoot5415 The Original HN3108

The guy is a headcase, but it seems Sac is considering moving him.

Apparently there is a scuffle among the Maloofs and management. Neither side can commit to the type of return they would want for Cousins. Some say young players & picks, others say talent & or cap relief.

The only contract that really hurts them is what they owe to John Salmons. He is owed $22 mil over the next 3 years with year 3 being a team option. If they are trying to gut the team, he would be the first to go.
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As you can also see Cousins has one additional year on his contract. Odds are he will be getting a big pay day after this one is up. Not sure how much we would have to give up considering he will be a FA at the end of next season.

From a talent stand point Cousins is very promising
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Maybe a 3 way trade:
    To SAC: Zeller+ TOR 2013 1st + CLE 2014 (or protected 2013 1st)+ CLE 2013 2nd+ Lamb
    To OKC: Varejao
    To CLE: Cousins + Salmons

Gives them cap relief, 2 young prospects, and future picks. Perkins could possibly go to SAC, but it would eliminate the cap relief. Some other outbound salary must be involved for OKC to make the trade work. However, he may be one of the few guys that could go in there and clean up the locker room. It also helps OKC with their title run.

Do you want this guy???

17 people like this.
  2. red.

red. Situational Stopper

Yes.

I don't like your trade, though, way too much.

3. Soar

Soar Hall-of-Famer

There are Rasheed Wallace types and Z-Bo types. Guys who have found ways to mature enough to contribute heavily to the success of their team. There are also Derrick Coleman types. Guys who never mature and remain cancers to their teams. I'm not sure what type Cousins will be. Sacramento is a bad place for him but he has made it worse. As I mentioned in another thread he is essentially the antithesis of Tristan Thompson. I wouldn't hang up on Sacramento if they called. But I'm not sure Cousins is ever worth the risk.

The thing that makes me want him is that you honestly could not ask for a better fit next to Tristan Thompson based on the skill-set of Cousins.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  4. PIP

PIP Orange and Blue Staff Member

Without question.. Really talented big man..

2 people like this.
  5. bigfoot5415

bigfoot5415 The Original HN3108

Please post alternative trade suggestions that give SAC value as well as all of the proper salary rules are followed. I would be interested to see where his value lies among our board members

6. ice cream man

ice cream man In the Rotation

With the ability Cousins has, he is a great fit next to TT on both ends of the floor.

I've always felt he has the potential to be the next best center after a healthy Bynum/Dwight. Decent risk, extremely high reward.

7. Triumph36

Triumph36 All-Star

obv depends entirely on the details of the trade. the real problem is that the cavs do not have the veteran players (with or without varejao) or enough of a well-respected/established organization to really maximize the chances of cousins turning it around. with the price the kings will probably demand, you don't do it unless it is an absolute home run guarantee that he'll succeed on your team.

he has his issues, and his struggles are compounded 5x over because of that organization...but he has more upside than any player kyrie has ever played with in cleveland. the cavs should at the very minimum have preliminary talks to gauge the potential opportunity. anything past that depends on how those talks go. i doubt a reasonable deal can be reached, but grant would be dumb not to at least call.

8. Numbers Guy

Numbers Guy 1234567890

Take the risk.. if he hits Kyrie and Cousins are the best 1-2 punch in the league going forward.

It's time to get the ball rolling.. and I feel the Cavs are in the same state of mind.

9. wremy

wremy In the Rotation

Cousins is the most immature NBA player I have ever seen. I wouldn't touch that dude he literally has mental issues IMO

10. Wine and Gold

Wine and Gold A View Inside the Game Staff Member

I love the talent he would bring, and the potential ...but, the risks and locker room issues that he would bring to a very young team would be extremely damaging, IMHO. His presence could really damage what we have building here, and Chris Grant knows how important it is the have and keep a quality growth environment within the framework of a young developing team. I heard lots of what was going on within that Kings team when JJ was there, and how toxic it had gotten. To the point he asked to get out or he would have left the team on his own. Which is basically what it came to. Cousins best situation would and should be a strong veteran team with a strong head coach in place where he would come in and wouldn't have any strong internal dynamic within the team's roster of players. Where veteran leaders are in place throughout and when he goes out of line, he has a structure of intolerance within the front office, coaching staff, and most importantly within the player ranks. The Cavs would have the right organization in all aspects except the roster of players, which is too young, too fragile ...not nearly evolved enough to be able to take in a personality like Demarcus Cousins and not have him take over too much power and possible influence within the team's young roster of players, which is only going to be getting younger ...For that reason, I would have to avoid making such a move..as hard as it is to look away from a talent as big as his.

20 people like this.
  11. UncleDrew

UncleDrew Potential Legendary

I would do it but for not as much as we are giving up. Also I wouldn't want Salmons on the team..even if an expired contract. I would want to go after Milsap or Jefferson first.

12. rabman_gold

rabman_gold I hate Florida

Only when the team is ready to contend and has the necessary "equipment" to handle meltdowns.

Step 1) Build the core
    Step 2) Build the depth
    Step 3) Pave way to a contender
    Final Step) Get your "Rasheed Wallace"

Why do you think the Piston's looked so good between 2003-2008?

I say pass.

4 people like this.
  13. KB

KB NBA Starter

This is the kind of thing the Cavs can use to help move a deal along.

Think about it like this.

With the Kevin Love rumors what if the Cavs can land Love with the Wolves getting Cousins.

What if it's possible to do so with out giving up AV since the Kings may have to sell low. What if the Kings wanted a bunch of picks/youth instead of a proven player?

What if it was something like TT/Walton/Gibson then the rights to the Kings pick returned/Heat picks/2014 Cavs pick/Rights to Lakers swap. Due to the cap space Cavs can eat contracts and the bounty of picks allows the Cavs to offer quite a few of them to make a move if one comes across the table.

It's all hypothetical but it happend with Dwight, Magic didn't want a proven player in Bynum. It seemed as if the Magic had no interest in even attempting to sign Bynum in a straight up deal. Magic valued youth and picks more than Bynum who isn't old but is a known/proven entity.

If the Cavs are linked to Cousins in any way it wouldn't be because Cousins is coming to Cleveland imo

5 people like this.
  14. Silky Smooth

Silky Smooth Preview Team

I say if available within reason, do it. He's a big time talent at a position of big time need. It's damn near impossible to find a player at the center position with his skill set. He has issues and they need to be resolved but if it weren't for those issues he wouldn't be available. We would have to add some veterens that can keep him in check eventually but Byron Scott seems like somebody Cousins would have a lot of respect for and somebody he would be scared of. We may never have another opportunity to trade for a talent like this and these are the types of risks we need to take to build this team. Cousins will not be available next year or the year after that when we are ready to compete. If he's available at a reasonable price we have to jump at the opportunity.

15. theSTEREO.

theSTEREO. The second of his name.

I'm not all for the "gotta have saints only on the team" theory, but Cousins is a special kind of sketchy, and there would have to be TONS of due diligence before that kid gets brought here.

Plus I'd fear a difficult contract situation in a year or two with him

1 person likes this.
  16. Pick6

Pick6 Situational Stopper

Cousins has all the potential in the world. Even with all of his "problems" with the Kings, he is still an above average Center in the league. If the Cavs can get them for a reasonable price (no idea what that may be), you have to go for it.

17. Daniel89

Daniel89 In the Rotation

Why is he shooting only 41% from the field this season so far? Does he take so many jumpshots?
    I know the Kings lack a good point guard, but 41% as a Center is terrible... He's shooting 77% on free throws though

Lots of good big men in the next draft... Thus not sure about taking a gamble on Cousins, definitely wouldn't give up much for him

18. Rob

Rob Best of the Land

No. Fucking. Way.

19. Rich

Rich Hall-of-Famer

No. Team destroyer who needs leadership joining a team with no veterans? Disaster scenario. Anything involving care jato or next years number 1 is too much for this guy. I have no desire to see our young guys dragged down by his act

1 person likes this.
  20. brooks

brooks In the Rotation

I only see one possible scenario where ending up with Cousins could be a (very) good thing. It's actually somewhat realistic and along the same line as what's already being discussed elsewhere, but it would require both of these trades to happen:

Typical proposed OKC trade: TOR 1st, Perkins for Varejao. Lamb/PJ3 or anything else in return would only serve as a bonus in this scenario.

Trade with Sacramento: Cavs (or TOR) 2013 #1, TT, Gee for Cousins + a filler/bad contract. If need be, give them the rights to their #1 and add Waiters into the mix.

Again, both trades would have to take place in order for this to (hopefully) offset the cancer of a teammate that is Cousins. If the OKC deal were to happen first, we'd have the option of replacing the TOR 1st with our own if need be. Hell, I wouldn't even mind parting with Waiters (or Lamb) and tossing a #2 to OKC if it assured both of these would happen. Most of us would agree to make the OKC deal regardless, but in this case Perkins becomes almost as valuable as the TOR pick by playing the role of a hard-nosed vet who could set Cousins in line whenever he acts up. Combine Perk with Byron's presence and the upside of playing next to a budding stud in Kyrie -- I don't think we'd have to many issues with keeping Cousins' attitude in check.

Potentially losing Dion would suck, but this is a scenario that I could actually see working out in our favor in spite of that. Kyrie and a disciplined Cousins would be a deadly 1-2 combo; with lotto pick next year and insane amounts of cap space, I'd say we'd be in a great position going forward.

It would take a hell of a lot of luck and likely verbal agreements from the offices of both parties, but it's slightly plausible. I'm partial otherwise. It would be great to have a big of Cousins' caliber, and I think he'd be relatively happy anywhere not named Sacramento at this point, but we'd probably have to give up too much to counter the glaring risks, barring everything previously mentioned.