• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Predicting the Cavs Rotations and Player Roles

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

theSTEREO.

The second of his name.
Reaction score
This seems like a fun topic for the next few months. I'm sure the discussion will evolve as we add the few final pieces, but it's this article from Fear the Sword this morning that got me really excited thinking about it.

A look at some potential five-man units that David Blatt can utilize with the Cleveland Cavaliers
by Mike Mayer

20140625_jla_ar7_093.jpg.0_standard_709.0.jpg

The coach heralded as an "offensive genius" has been equipped with some of the best and most versatile players in the game. This is going to be fun.

One of the big themes with last year's disappointing Cleveland Cavaliers season was their lack of "fit." It was the main thing David Griffin said that he wanted to address when he was introduced as the team's full-time GM. But I don't think he possibly could have imagined that he'd end up with a roster like this.

You want to address fit? How about adding the best player in the NBA, who also happens to be the most versatile? That should help. How about adding the best power forward, who also happens to be able to play inside and outside? Yes, he should fit just fine.

As of right now, it appears that the most likely starting lineup for new coach David Blatt to trot out will be:

Kyrie Irving/Dion Waiters/LeBron James/Kevin Love/Anderson Varejao

Personally, I've never been a big fan of the Kyrie/Dion backcourt. But if it's going to work, they will need more shooters than they had around them last season. Enter LeBron and Love. That should do the trick. This will also allow Waiters to move into a completely different role. He's going to have to pick and choose his spots, but he could be the beneficiary of some wide open three-point attempts (which he can knock down, or he can pump fake and drive).

I also really like the Love/Varejao frontcourt. Those two guys are going to grab pretty much every single defensive rebound that is available. On offense, Varejao gets to be the fifth option and just mostly scrap down low for rebounds or run pick and rolls and occasionally get wide open mid-range jumpers.

There are still a couple of players who need to make up their minds about joining this team, but right now it is safe to assume that the core of the bench will consist of at least the following players: Tristan Thompson, Mike Miller, Matthew Dellavedova, and James Jones.

One potential small ball lineup that I'm intrigued by:

Irving/Waiters/Miller/LeBron/Love

Defensively, this unit would struggle, so a more realistic small ball lineup might involve Thompson at center.

But imagine for a moment being the opposing coach and trying to stop this lineup. Your center would have to guard Kevin Love. Your power forward would be stuck on Lebron. And if you try to double team either of them, Mike Miller will be wide open for a three.

Miller, LeBron, and Love are also really tremendous passers. We know that Kyrie and Dion have great court vision, and thus have the potential to be great passers. What are the two things that Blatt needs for his offense to be successful? Passing and shooting. It can't get much better than this.

Now, let's assume they sign Ray Allen. Imagine this lineup:

Irving/Allen/Miller/LeBron/Love

The player who had the worst three-point percentage in this lineup last season was Irving at 36%. So this is a lineup in which the worst shooter is a former Three-Point Shootout champ. The second-worst (statistically) would be Allen, who happens to be the greatest shooter of all-time. Talk about being able to spread the floor. :faint:

Again though, I realize the defense is half of the game. That is why signing Shawn Marion would be such a huge boost. If that happens, Blatt could put together a unit that would be very strong defensively:

Irving/Dellavedova/LeBron/Marion/Varejao

People have made a big deal about the team's lack of rim protection. Certainly that is an issue that they ought to address, if at all possible. But even without a true rim protector, their defense won't be horrible, in my opinion. Having LeBron and Marion would give them two fairly elite, versatile wing defenders. And Irving and Waiters are young and quick enough to be decent defenders if they put in the effort, and I think that they will.

Clearly, this season is going to be a lot of fun. The Cavs have a coach who has been frequently called an "offensive genius," and he has been equipped with some of the best and most versatile players in the game.

What are some of the lineups that you're excited about potentially seeing?

This might be the most versatile team I've seen in a decade, and will be even more so if we add some sort of rim protecting center in the coming months.

So excited.

I think we need one more big, unless Haywood is healthy, if he is we should be ok.

Great article.
That's why getting Shawn Marion would be such a huge signing.

On offense, we can do everything we want and if we need some stops in crunch time, we can play:
Irving, Delly, James, Marion, Andy

The defensive lineup should have Waiters in place of Irving, and whatever defensive C that's on the roster when the season starts. Otherwise these proposed lineups are perfect, and I love the ability our team has to mix and match these guys. We may go from the most rigid to the most flexible mix and match roster in a single offseason. Is someone injured or having an off night, (as long as it's not LeBron or Varejao) we have enough firepower where someone can take your place without losing a beat. Truly impressive stuff.

Last edited:
If we get Marion and Allen:

PG Irving (36 mins)/Waiters (12)
SG Waiters (12)/Allen (18)/Miller (18)
SF LeBron (36)/Marion (12)
PF Love (36)/Marion (12)
C Varejao (24)/TT (24)

If we get just Marion:

PG Irving (36 mins)/Delly (12)
SG Waiters (28)/Miller (20)
SF LeBron (36)/Marion (12)
PF Love (36)/Marion (12)
C Varejao (24)/TT (24)

If we get just Allen:

PG Irving (36 mins)/Delly (12)
SG Waiters (28)/Allen (20)
SF LeBron (26)/Miller (22)
PF Love (36)/LeBron (12)
C Varejao (24)/TT (24)

In short, I really hope that we at least get Marion.

^ You have Tristan exclusively playing center now? That's quite a jump...

^ You have Tristan exclusively playing center now? That's quite a jump...

Why not? He's a center in a power forward's body anyways. I know that he doesn't have the height of a traditional center, but he's got a good standing reach, which is all that really matters anyways.

The defensive lineup should have Waiters in place of Irving, and whatever defensive C that's on the roster when the season starts. Otherwise these proposed lineups are perfect, and I love the ability our team has to mix and match these guys. We may go from the most rigid to the most flexible mix and match roster in a single offseason. Is someone injured or having an off night, (as long as it's not LeBron or Varejao) we have enough firepower where someone can take your place without losing a beat. Truly impressive stuff.

Even if James has an off night, which rarely happens, we play Marion at 3 and still have more than enough offensive weapons.

And here's something that also came to my mind.
We may not be the best defensive team in the league, but:

We very likely will be one of, if not the best defensive rebounding team in the NBA. So our opponents won't get many second chance points and that alone will compensate a bit for our mediocre defense.
Plus, you have to put yourself in our opponents position for a moment:
Our halfcourt offense will be a nightmare for every team we play against. They have to fly around and put so much effort on D to get a few stops, that in the end, it could affect their offensive play (mental/physical fatigue).

In the end, I think will be fine defensively and offensively, we will be close to unguardable.

LeBron would make a totally bomb-ass 6th-man. That's one thing I am sure of.

This is what I would do if we got Marion and Allen. Not necessarily what I think will happen, but how I would play it. I like Waiters as our backup PG. I do like Deli, and think that he will improve, but with all of the other players we have I would not like to see him in the rotation. Waiters is at his best with ball in his hands, and he also gives us good insurance if Irving or LBJ got hurt. Deli could just be a guy that we plug in to defend for a few min if an opponent who is on a hot streak. I also want to keep the minutes down for our stars- keep them fresh for playoffs. No need to get too crazy early in the season. I also have TT only at C. If he's playing PF, that means that AV is in the game at C, and that combo just doesn't make sense to have on the floor at the same time.

I do think that the "small ball" lineup with Love at C will be almost unbeatable- and, something that we'll see if we are behind in the game. I also think it is best to employ certain rotations down the stretch depending on game situations. Big lead= go with a all D lineup. Deli, Waiters, LBJ, TT or Marion, AV. Behind= go small. Irving, Allen or Waiters, Miller, LBJ, Love.

PG- Irving 32, Waiters 16
SG- Waiters 16, Allen 16, Miller 16
SF- James 28, Miller 8, Marion 12
PF- Love 24, James 8, Marion 16
C- AV 24, Love 8, TT 16

Total Minutes-
36- James
32- Irving, Waiters, Love
28- Marion
24- AV, Miller
16- Allen, TT

I jazzed myself imagining how hard those lineups will be to guard if everyone buys in.

Damn, so many options...which is a good problem! Can't wait for the season to start!

This is what I would do if we got Marion and Allen. Not necessarily what I think will happen, but how I would play it. I like Waiters as our backup PG. I do like Deli, and think that he will improve, but with all of the other players we have I would not like to see him in the rotation. Waiters is at his best with ball in his hands, and he also gives us good insurance if Irving or LBJ got hurt. Deli could just be a guy that we plug in to defend for a few min if an opponent who is on a hot streak. I also want to keep the minutes down for our stars- keep them fresh for playoffs. No need to get too crazy early in the season. I also have TT only at C. If he's playing PF, that means that AV is in the game at C, and that combo just doesn't make sense to have on the floor at the same time.

I do think that the "small ball" lineup with Love at C will be almost unbeatable- and, something that we'll see if we are behind in the game. I also think it is best to employ certain rotations down the stretch depending on game situations. Big lead= go with a all D lineup. Deli, Waiters, LBJ, TT or Marion, AV. Behind= go small. Irving, Allen or Waiters, Miller, LBJ, Love.

PG- Irving 32, Waiters 16
SG- Waiters 16, Allen 16, Miller 16
SF- James 28, Miller 8, Marion 12
PF- Love 24, James 8, Marion 16
C- AV 24, Love 8, TT 16

Total Minutes-
36- James
32- Irving, Waiters, Love
28- Marion
24- AV, Miller
16- Allen, TT

not bad, the only little adjustment i would make are Lebron's minutes. i would try to play him even less than 36 minutes a game and with Marion as a backup that should be a realistic goal. keep him as fresh as possible for the playoffs

not bad, the only little adjustment i would make are Lebron's minutes. i would try to play him even less than 36 minutes a game and with Marion as a backup that should be a realistic goal. keep him as fresh as possible for the playoffs

I would try to play him under 30 most nights, honestly, unless he either demands more minutes or it's a close game.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."