• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Question about Internships/Living on Your Own

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Simon

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Okay, so I am thinking about applying for these internships in the NBA....

1.) Summer 2015: Washington Wizards basketball operations
2.) Summer 2015: Houston Rockets basketball operations
3.) Summer 2015: Charlotte Hornets basketball operations

I have a pretty good job right now in athletic communications at my respective college. I'm just looking for an internship or another job, along with the job I already have.

Each of these you can receive college credit. I am a sophomore in college right now.

The thing is, if I do apply, and I get the internship, I am scared shitless about possibly moving to another state for the summer, as it would be my first time living alone. I do have family close to Charlotte, so that one intrigues me the most.

I'm thinking about applying. But, if there is anyone on here that lives in these cities, what's it like living in the cities, etc.?

The Cavs, unfortunately, don't have internships and the job that is usually open for them is basketball communications.

Pretty much -- if I do apply and get one of these, what was it like living on your own for the first time and if you live in any of these cities, what's it like?

Any help will be appreciated!

I have a pretty good job right now in athletic communications at my respective college. I'm just looking for an internship or another job, along with the job I already have.

Each of these you can receive college credit. I am a sophomore in college right now.

The thing is, if I do apply, and I get the internship, I am scared shitless about possibly moving to another state for the summer, as it would be my first time living alone. I do have family close to Charlotte, so that one intrigues me the most.

I'm thinking about applying. But, if there is anyone on here that lives in these cities, what's it like living in the cities, etc.?

The Cavs, unfortunately, don't have internships and the job that is usually open for them is basketball communications.

Pretty much -- if I do apply and get one of these, what was it like living on your own for the first time and if you live in any of these cities, what's it like?

Dont bother with the Wizards job, you couldnt afford to fart in DC.

As for Houston or Charlotte, I prefer Charlotte, but both are good cities with reasonable costs of living. Cost of living will matter allot if you have to spend half your time working for free.

Don't be afraid to move away for a summer as the experience will definitely help you out. I worked for the Pittsburgh Pirates for a year after graduating and then moved 1,000 miles away from home for my next step at the University I work for now. Four years and three promotions later, I have very few regrets.

You're still in college so it's a great chance to experience new surroundings, meet new people, and add to your resume. Embrace it and try something new!

As far as the cities go, I've only been in Houston once but have been to Charlotte several times (had a few buddies work for the organization when it was still the Bobcats). It's a fun, clean city that offers a lot to do. I'd recommend staying there for a summer.

^ I definitely second this.

I did a paid teaching internship (everything except food was paid for which were given $100/week) after I got my B.A., and it was probably the best experience of my life.

Jump in with two feet, work your ass off, and make connections.

Also, don't be afraid to be away from family or to be outside your comfort zone. I've moved around a lot and I firmly believe that it has helped me be able to settle into new surroundings with ease.

I've lived all over. People are the cool thing, not places. You can find good people everywhere, and even Houston is cool, but you better like driving.

Those are three very different cities, and you will like your hometown a lot better after leaving for a minute.

Pick whichever is going to be most beneficial to your career long term. As far as living alone, once you do it, you'll never want to go back.

I've never been to Houston but I've been to DC and Charlotte. I love Charlotte and hate DC. Strictly speaking from a living/city experience, Charlotte is a winner. You may want to try and find out what its like to work in each of the organizations though before you pick one (if you're offered more than 1).

I've lived on my own since I was 16 years old. I really can't imagine any other lifestyle.

I was also an intern in D.C. and New York, both places I wouldn't want to live personally and both were really expensive (my accommodations were paid for).
My recommendation would be to go for it and pick based on whichever franchise is offering the best position (and any possibility of retention). Everyone will probably say that Charlotte and Houston are better places to live, and rightfully so, but that shouldn't matter to you at this point. It should be about getting the best internship possible.

All three are phenomenal cities.

Make sure you research their department and asked them questions about what previous internships have done for others who took them.

There are internships out there who will have you making copies all summer, there are those who will be more hands on. Trust your gut on the people you meet and take what you can get.

The living on your own will take care of itself, it's not as big of an adjustment for some people. I moved out to the DC area the week after graduating, use your job to distract you from any potential home sickness, jump head first into it and don't look back.

Best advice I can give from someone who spent a couple years doing internships in professional sports.

It all depends on your personality. Are you outgoing and comfortable with being by yourself in new situations? Personally, I think everyone should travel and experience as many new things as possible, especially at a young age. It expands your worldview, makes you more empathetic, and generally helps you grow as a person. So I'd say dive right in to any of them. It's only a summer and will be over before you know it.

Being that you are in college, I would rank the cities in the same order that you did. DC is probably the best city in the country for young people because it is the one place that did not really get hit by the recession for that demographic. One downside of that is the high cost of housing, but thousands of students manage every year by living in a group house. You end up paying the same as you would in other cities for a 1BR, but have a built in friend base and social scene from day one. That's a huge advantage.

Good luck!

Thanks guys for the info! I applied for the Charlotte one. That one intrigues me the most because the opportunity to work for MJ and also because I have family in North Carolina and they can always help me out.

If I don't get, I can always apply for different ones. The NBA also has a 10-week internship program, but I am not a junior yet.

Thanks guys for the info! I applied for the Charlotte one. That one intrigues me the most because the opportunity to work for MJ and also because I have family in North Carolina and they can always help me out.

If I don't get, I can always apply for different ones. The NBA also has a 10-week internship program, but I am not a junior yet.
One thing you will learn as you get older is that the application to job offer ratio gets sliiiightly higher than 1/1. ;)

Apply for every job you're interested in, not just the one that you want the most. If you don't get the one in Charlotte, you don't want to be caught holding your peeper without a job. Worst case scenario is that you get multiple job offers and have to choose which one you like the most.

I live in DC, and it's easily better than a boring city such as Charlotte or Houston. Anyone here bitching about DC, most likely has only been there as a tourist, and knows nothing about the city except the touristy side of it.

It is expensive though, but much more worth it than the two shitty cities you picked. A lot more connections.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."