• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Gordon suspension reduced to 10, 12 if convicted of DWI

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Instead of suspending these guys and making them spend time away from the team, why don't they force them to go to rehab and try to get their lives back on track?
Because the NFL believes playing in the NFL is a privilege, despite the owners needing the players to be profitable.

Because the NFL believes playing in the NFL is a privilege, despite the owners needing the players to be profitable.

It is a privilege, but at the same time these are real problems in real peoples lives.

WWE has a substance abuse policy, yet when a past or present star needs help. They help them and pay for it. I don't think it would take too much if the NFL's profits and it would make them look good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because the NFL cares about its players as much as the NCAA cares about the student athlete.

The substance abuse punishments are spelled out letter for letter in the CBA. If they didn't adhear to the CBA they'd open themselves up to numerous lawsuits from past and future rulings.

Regardless the real issue with Gordon is he has a problem. He has a substance abuse problem and it needs to be addressed, he's a train wreck waiting to happen.

Maybe Chris Henry would still be alive if they actually tried to help these guys.

I wouldn't classify it as a privilege. Their talent is what, for the most part, makes this company a multi-billion dollar corporation. They're being compensated large wages because of the money teams make off of them.

Instead of suspending these guys and making them spend time away from the team, why don't they force them to go to rehab and try to get their lives back on track?

They do. If you read the Drug Policy, there's all sorts of stuff in there about how players who test positive are required to follow the recommendations of the Medical Director for their specific treatment plan. That generally is going to include rehab and a bunch of other stuff. And that's true even if they're under indefinite suspension, like Gordon. Costs are paid by the medical insurance plan for which all players are eligible.

Here's the plan, and the stuff about mandatory treatment begins at about page 15,

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/PlayerDevelopment/2010 Drug Policy.pdf

Last edited:
Do we actually know that the NFL don't at least encourage or pay for treatment, at the league rather than team level?

Can't say I'm 100%, but they isolate guys with drug issues and had to be sued because they wouldn't cough up money (and then later because they didn't initially cough up enough) to pay for the concussion issues.

Pretty safe to say that the ownership group doesn't care much about the players.

Off topic, but regarding Jim Irsay... I don't want to hear about "maximum allowable fine" being 500K. I don't think the NBA had a written policy that said the Commish can boot a racist owner from the league for life.. The situation dictated that a severe penalty be handed down. There is no agreed to CBA between the Commissioner and Owners.

Can't say I'm 100%, but they isolate guys with drug issues and had to be sued because they wouldn't cough up money (and then later because they didn't initially cough up enough) to pay for the concussion issues.

The concussion issue is completely different. That's a lawsuit for past damage, not treatment for current problem like addiction, which is explicitly covered.

Last edited:
They do. If you read the Drug Policy, there's all sorts of stuff in there about how players who test positive are required to follow the recommendations of the Medical Director for their specific treatment plan. That generally is going to include rehab and a bunch of other stuff. And that's true even if they're under indefinite suspension, like Gordon. Costs are paid by the medical insurance plan for which all players are eligible.

Here's the plan, and the stuff about mandatory treatment begins at about page 15,

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/PlayerDevelopment/2010 Drug Policy.pdf

Never knew of this because the media never talks about this kind of stuff.

Does this include retired players as well? Obviously they don't have testing, but if they have an issue.

Pretty safe to say that the ownership group doesn't care much about the players.

Off topic, but regarding Jim Irsay... I don't want to hear about "maximum allowable fine" being 500K. I don't think the NBA had a written policy that said the Commish can boot a racist owner from the league for life.. The situation dictated that a severe penalty be handed down. There is no agreed to CBA between the Commissioner and Owners.

I don't think what Irsay did was that awful to lose his team. He should he fined and forced to attend treatment.

I don't think what Irsay did was that awful to lose his team. He should he fined and forced to attend treatment.

Hell no, he shouldn't lose his team. That 500K fine, though, equals about $13 for you and I. You can't sit there, as the NFL, and stand behind "maximum allowable penalty" for the conduct policy. That is not bargained and judging by how much of Goodell's judgment goes into these suspension lengths, he could've adjusted penalties for Irsay to whatever he sees fit.

Suspending an owner an "X" amount of games is laughable.

e
Hell no, he shouldn't lose his team. That 500K fine, though, equals about $13 for you and I. You can't sit there, as the NFL, and stand behind "maximum allowable penalty" for the conduct policy. That is not bargained and judging by how much of Goodell's judgment goes into these suspension lengths, he could've adjusted penalties for Irsay to whatever he sees fit.

Suspending an owner an "X" amount of games is laughable.

I just don't agree. 500k is not throw away money for him, and 6 games reasonable for the crime. It is a DUI. Yes he doesn't play, so no its not a huge loss for the team, but the fact is it is an appropriate penalty.

We keep bringing up other non related penalties in this thread like domestic battery or an owner with a drinking problem.

The fact is this is Gordon's 3rd failed test in the 2 whole years as a pro and then his dumb ass gets 2 more drug/alcohol related offenses before the appeal.

If you or I failed drug tests at work. Not only would they not throw us in rehab, they wouldn't let us fail a 2nd or 3rd test, we would just be out of a job,

In the end, no one has anyone to blame but Josh Gordon. Yes the Ray Rice penalty was laughable, but that doesn't make Josh Gordons unjust, just means Rice's should have been more severe.

Never knew of this because the media never talks about this kind of stuff.

Right. And then fans all get outraged because the NFL supposedly kicks guys to the curb without treatment. Generally, the "if it sounds too good (or too bad) to be true, it probably is" rule applies. Or at least, it's the hint to start digging a bit.

Does this include retired players as well? Obviously they don't have testing, but if they have an issue.

The NFLPA advises ex-players to buy health care insurance on their own, so I'd guess that means the NFL doesn't pay for it. Don't know why they should, really. Employers in general don't pay for health care coverage after you leave.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nfl-p...lYwNzcgRwb3MDMgRjb2xvA2JmMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDI4MF8x

e

I just don't agree. 500k is not throw away money for him, and 6 games reasonable for the crime. It is a DUI. Yes he doesn't play, so no its not a huge loss for the team, but the fact is it is an appropriate penalty.

We keep bringing up other non related penalties in this thread like domestic battery or an owner with a drinking problem.

The fact is this is Gordon's 3rd failed test in the 2 whole years as a pro and then his dumb ass gets 2 more drug/alcohol related offenses before the appeal.

If you or I failed drug tests at work. Not only would they not throw us in rehab, they wouldn't let us fail a 2nd or 3rd test, we would just be out of a job,

In the end, no one has anyone to blame but Josh Gordon. Yes the Ray Rice penalty was laughable, but that doesn't make Josh Gordons unjust, just means Rice's should have been more severe.

Cash and prescription pills that aren't his together in a briefcase (in the back seat) while driving drunk and high. It's a joke. It's throw-away money for a billionaire. Even if it looks like a lot from down here.

And my employer has last chance agreements, so I would get a second (and perhaps a third) chance.

Cash and prescription pills that aren't his together in a briefcase (in the back seat) while driving drunk and high. It's a joke. It's throw-away money for a billionaire. Even if it looks like a lot from down here.

And my employer has last chance agreements, so I would get a second (and perhaps a third) chance.

My employer does not, you fail, you are fired.

But yes, he is a Billionaire so its not allot of money. But this is a first offense, a dui is a one or two game suspension on a first offense for a player. He paid a much harsher penalty than a player, so what that since he is super rich and doesnt actually play the penalty doesnt hurt him the same. You cant control that portion.

Have him continue to do this and they can take the team away, but first offense is first offense. Cant have a double standard because our best player is also an idiot or at the very least, has a huge dependency issue.

The only point i agree with that has been brought out is the fact the Browns cant stay in contact is completely wrong. While suspended, he needs to have someone looking over him. Someone to answer too. If the league cared about rehabilitating him, and we know they dont, they would do everything in their power to ensure he gets the help he needs, not what is just convenient.

I wouldn't classify it as a privilege. Their talent is what, for the most part, makes this company a multi-billion dollar corporation. They're being compensated large wages because of the money teams make off of them.
And the opportunity to showcase their talent on a national stage such a professional sports team is a privilege and to be allotted something such as a high money contract is 100% a privilege. If you continually break contract by doing so simple as smoking weed full well knowing the consequences you lose that PRIVILEGE. I don't care how much money the team makes off of the players, if it wasn't for the teams these guys would be at the local rec doing shit with their lives.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."