• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Mike Pettine

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
"I just know the pecking order now," Pettine said. "I don’t think it matters how you get it -- now that you have it, make the most of it. I looked at it as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. People say, 'Why did you take that job?' This is one of 32. The way the league is set up, you can win anywhere. That to me is why it was a slam dunk."

Adam Gase disagreed. Beta. :chuckle:

I need to know people's opinions of this guy as well as the rest of the coaching staff. Pettine is now 9-16 as HC. Like always I hear and see people calling for him to get canned but I can't really say he is the most at fault. What do you guys think?

As bad as Farmer has been at picking players, I think Pettine and his staff are just as bad at developing them. We see young players come in and their development stalls. It reminds me of Mike Brown. No young player looks that much better than their first couple games playing for this coaching staff other than johnny.

Mike "Legend Bald Ass" Pettine.

Where to begin.

The End.

I think Pettine did a good job last season to take us to 7-9, but has regressed this season.

He has poor clock management game after game; the team shows no fire; has no discipline; and most importantly, the D hasn't improved one bit under his watch, despite him being a defensive coach.

I also think he refuses to play some of Farmer's guys. You can't tell me Gilbert has looked worse than Bademosi, Duke doesn't see the field nearly as much as he should, etc..

Does this team have a ton of talent? No. However, this also isn't a 2-7 team either, especially since we've actually been getting some pretty damn solid QB play from McCown.

2-12 in his last 14? And he's really a blown Tenn coverage from 1-13. I hate to do it again but it's time to can him. Ray too. Has to be a full rebuild with people who value skill positions and hold players and coaches accountable.

2-12.... Jimmy must be furious. I'll put it on terms even he can understand: Time to change the shift manager at the gas station.

I think Pettine did a good job last season to take us to 7-9, but has regressed this season.

He has poor clock management game after game; the team shows no fire; has no discipline; and most importantly, the D hasn't improved one bit under his watch, despite him being a defensive coach.

I also think he refuses to play some of Farmer's guys. You can't tell me Gilbert has looked worse than Bademosi, Duke doesn't see the field nearly as much as he should, etc..

Does this team have a ton of talent? No. However, this also isn't a 2-7 team either, especially since we've actually been getting some pretty damn solid QB play from McCown.

I'm not even sure that he did such a good job last season. He just got extremely lucky with an incredibly easy schedule. This scheme, especially on the defensive side, is flat out terrible. They called it out on NFL Network last night, but we basically leave our DB's in 1 on 1 coverage with no help a large portion of the time, to sell out on stopping the run. The problem with that, is we still aren't stopping the run either. So not only are we making it easier on the opposing QB's because they can pick apart single coverage, but the whole reason we're doing it isn't working either.

This whole thing is a cluster f**k.

The coach doesnt adjust, he doesnt work around his talent, and doesnt fire up anyone.

The coordinators are shit. The off coordinator looks like he has half a brain, but it turns to shit in the 2nd half every game. Who is to blame for that? Defensively, the scheme looks bad, like all time bad.

Defensively, no one is tackling. I cant tell if guys are out of position or what. Cant stop the run, cant stop the pass, cant stop Jimmy from blowing them up.

Farmer...is he the issue? Or is it Pettine? I feel like Gilbert still has his head lodged up his ass, but at what point do you just throw him out there. Shelton looks like a scrub, but is that the scheme? I dont know there are so many damn issues.

Offensively the passing game looks solid, but how much of that comes from broken plays? On paper our WR core isnt horrible, but at the same time they still dont have that big game threat (Gordon).

No way you can justify not starting Manziel again. I get that McCown has looked good in spots, but hes not going to win or save you your job. Best case scenario you put Johnny out there and show everybody how good or bad he is.

Another lost season.

Meh. When you are reduced to holding a job fair to find your coach this is what you get. Although in fairness to Pettine, his GM has let several younger veterans on defense walk away while not adding anything to the D other than plugging the holes created by the departures. Had a Dansby been added next to DQwell or a Tramon added as the 3rd DB I could see it. Or imagine Gipson ballhawking while Ward was helping out the run defense. But whatever. Pettine has 'lost the locker room' or whatever fans are going to infer. Time to move on to whatever Coach Option F will be this next off-season.

Disagree- this is a 2-7 team talent-wise. This is what happens when you whiff hard in the high rounds, in FA and choose to fill holes with UDFAs.

Mildly off-topic but...

An argument can be made for why Pettine deserves to lose his job based on:
  • Wins/losses
  • Regression of most players
  • Defensive ineptitude
  • Development of young players

But I cannot stand that people would blindly turn on a coach because he doesn't blow smoke up Johnny Manziel's ass.

Johnny's play is riddled with mistakes and coming into the league, needed/needs a ton of grooming to achieve success. If anything, I think it's one of the situations Pettine has gotten right.

He's hard on him but he's also been reluctant to throw him to the wolves. He recognizes his shortcomings and he shouldn't be the only one.

Mildly off-topic but...

• Wins/losses
  • Defensive ineptitude

But I cannot stand that people would blindly turn on a coach because he doesn't blow smoke up Johnny Manziel's ass.

Johnny's play is riddled with mistakes and coming into the league, needed/needs a ton of grooming to achieve success. If anything, I think it's one of the situations Pettine has gotten right.

He's hard on him but he's also been reluctant to throw him to the wolves. He recognizes his shortcomings and he shouldn't be the only one.

In my opinion, I don't think it's about not blowing smoke up his ass. I just think he's not his kind of QB (Pettine said about Mariota before the Titans game, "I think the football purists who want it to be a true pro-style game are not going to cheer for a guy like him because that would only encourage teams to blow this up and bring in college coordinators. That's why I think there are teams who are rooting against the Philly's of the world and Mariota doing well for that very reason."), and he resents the fact that he's been saddled with this kid who beyond football has personal issues.

This is why performing a shotgun marriage between Farmer and Pettine was most likely going to be a disaster because they have different views on how to build the team, and as much as they're trying to work together it will never fully work when two guys aren't on the same page. That's why I think the most likely outcome, much to the fans' dismay, is Pettine getting the ax and Farmer being allowed to bring in his own guy, because I think Haslam doesn't want to completely blow it all up again.

Mildly off-topic but...

• Wins/losses
  • Defensive ineptitude

Nailed it. He's not a good head coach, let's be realistic. I don't think anyone thinks that. It has nothing to do with Johnny either.

That might be the only thing he's right about, how he's handled that.

I don't think he likes Johnny. Johnny fans probably think he has a vendetta against him. No, I think he doesn't feel like giving jobs to guys that have not earned it.

Johnny has not handled himself well on the field, or off the field since coming to Cleveland. There are very few quality head coaches that would like Johnny given everything that's occurred with him.

That said, Pettine is not a good coach. I was on board keeping him on for awhile, until we are in a better situation to make the move for another coach. But if players keep regressing under his watch, then we have no choice but to fire him.

I'm not even looking for a good head coach right now. An average one that won't inhibit the growth of players. That's all I ask for.

One day if we're ever good, then we can go out and get a quality head coach. That's not happening today most likely.

I think he doesn't feel like giving jobs to guys that have not earned it.

Very interesting he would have that outlook considering his and Jim O'Neil's backgrounds. You could argue he and his staff are the living embodiment of the Peter principle.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."