• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

David Blatt is a former NBA coach

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol, to most NBA players, overseas leagues are the equivalent of the D-League but with better salary. And like you or me, they know nothing about it other than that it exists and is another farm org for the NBA.

What does the quality of the players have to do with the quality of the coach? A coach who wins consistently there is more impressive to me than one who wins with superstars.

Blatt's 17 is more impressive than Phil Jackson's 11 to me.

People need to be patient. Its not easy to lay a foundation or a system all of a sudden. It takes a lot of time. Especially when you don't have a reputation of someone like a Pop or Phil Jackson. The players won't buy into the philosophy immediately. They need to be sold and I am sure, they will ultimately buy into Blatt's idea and system. Then its all about how much time they need to get used to and gel with each other and their movement and placement pattern. Really naive and harsh to be criticizing Blatt at this point of time. He is a very talented coach and looks quite eloquent in his interviews.

The only criticism I would have is, his rotations which have been poor. There have been many occasions where he has rested both LeBron and Love at the same time and gone with a starting five of Andy - TT - Marion/Delly - Dion - Kyrie which is crazy because we know how bad that starting five was last season. Any two of LeBron, Love and Kyrie need to be on the court throughout the game. LeBron is the only one with whom you can afford to rest both Love and Kyrie because of who he is, otherwise its essential two of those three are on the court throughout the game. Also, he has to ensure LeBron gets much more rest time. Kyrie and Love can afford it because they are relatively young and don't have close to the workload that LeBron has had in the past four years. He has played around 87 play-off games in the last four years. Thats more than a regular season. He has to manage LeBron's minutes better or he will be gassed up come playoffs.

What does the quality of the players have to do with the quality of the coach? A coach who wins consistently there is more impressive to me than one who wins with superstars.

Blatt's 17 is more impressive than Phil Jackson's 11 to me.

It's the quality of the competition.

And this about NBA players' perceptions, not yours or any other fan's.

Tonight is a very important game for Blatt and the team,
could determine his future as a Cavs coach, I just got this feeling.

How can you listen to David Blatt speak to you and not respect him...while knowing that he won 17 championships in 21 seasons.

Lebron is a fucking child. It's disgusting.

Lebron has won two NBA championships and been to the finals five times. David Blatt has done NOTHING, zero, zip, nada in the NBA. This is a very basic point that some of our Blatt fanboys around here seem to ignore. I can assure you that everyone else in the world, Blatt included, is aware of it.

Success in inferior leagues with talent far, far below the NBA level does not always translate to the NBA. That's not just because of differences in rules and the player's attitudes -- it's because tactics that can work when the overall skill level is lower don't always work when the skill level is higher. Pretty much any player on any NBA roster is as good as the star players Blatt game-planned for overseas. Leave anyone open and they will burn you. Successful college coaches have to prove themselves again when they come to the NBA, and the same goes for Blatt.

If Blatt alienates Lebron, if Lebron doesn't end up listening to him, then that is on Blatt, because it's the coach's job to communicate and bring the players along. Blatt isn't scoring any baskets out there on the court so his only way to affect the game is to get buy-in from his players. That's the core of his job.

All of the above is just very basic facts I'm only repeating because of some of the sillier things being said around here -- I actually think Blatt is a good coach and things will work themselves out. But they won't work themselves out if Blatt, like some of his fans around here, thinks that he is somehow entitled and superior to players like Lebron who have proven themselves in the NBA. But I'm sure he's not that stupid.

Last edited:
Tonight is a very important game for Blatt and the team,
could determine his future as a Cavs coach, I just got this feeling.

I don't think any single regular season game in the NBA is so important that it determines your future, unless maybe it's the game that determines whether you get into the playoffs. It's really all about the playoffs. It's this team's performance in the playoffs that will determine Blatt's future. I'm confident that we will make the playoffs, given the personnel and coaching talent on this team, and the fact that we're playing in the East (thank god!). I'm also confident that so long as we have a winning record (which we will continue to have) the front office will keep Blatt through the season so he gets the chance to show his coaching stuff in the playoffs --anything else would seem like panic and be disruptive to the team's success.

I don't think any single regular season game in the NBA is so important that it determines your future, unless maybe it's the game that determines whether you get into the playoffs. It's really all about the playoffs. It's this team's performance in the playoffs that will determine Blatt's future. I'm confident that we will make the playoffs, given the personnel and coaching talent on this team, and the fact that we're playing in the East (thank god!). I'm also confident that so long as we have a winning record (which we will continue to have) the front office will keep Blatt through the season so he gets the chance to show his coaching stuff in the playoffs --anything else would seem like panic and be disruptive to the team's success.

The team is not thinking straight, There are problems already popping out, it's about the timing and all the players favouring Tyron Lue for a strange reason.
Ofcourse this game means nothing, I just don't trust the FO that is.

lol at these meaningless rings in the 3rd division leagues

what's next we going to brag about college rings too

A lot of you admire SaS and Pop.. but at the same time you would adapt just about everything to this bitchez...Well Pop does not let anyone fuck around. Blatt should be the boss and nobody else. Two no D allstars and aging James won't win the C on their own. Power to the coach.

You would think that this past week provided plenty of ammo for Blatt in terms of getting the players to buy in if they haven't yet.

Here's what happens if you play the right way (1st qtr vs Charlotte) and here's what happens if you don't (3rd qtr vs Atlanta). Which team do you wanna be?

I don't know whats more difficult: watching this Cavs team loaded with talent going through growing pains or watching the quality of the posts on this board go in the shitter while the Cavs find their way.

A couple weeks ago, we were riding an 8 game winning streak watching videos of Blatt and the players being all chummy in the lockerroom (Rememer "GOOD FOR YOU DION WAITERS!!!). And now after a 4 game rough patch Blatt has lost the team, his resume is meaningless, and were acting like Blatts job is on the line today if we don't beat a Western Conference title contender with years of continuity???

Awful.

I don't know whats more difficult: watching this Cavs team loaded with talent going through growing pains or watching the quality of the posts on this board go in the shitter while the Cavs find their way.

A couple weeks ago, we were riding an 8 game winning streak watching videos of Blatt and the players being all chummy in the lockerroom (Rememer "GOOD FOR YOU DION WAITERS!!!). And now after a 4 game rough patch Blatt has lost the team, his resume is meaningless, and were acting like Blatts job is on the line today if we don't beat a Western Conference title contender with years of continuity???

Awful.

I get what you're saying and agree, but you have to remember that this is a discussion board. Me personally, I come on here to talk the good and the bad. It's a place to vent.

I never thought he was the right coach for this team, but the Cavs had already signed him by the time LeBron decided to return, so they had no choice but to see how it will plays out.

A team like the Cavs needed a gritty competent defensive-minded head coach. A coach who isn't afraid to call out LeBron for playing lazy on both ends, etc. It was always going to be hard to find that coach. It seems like the only head coach that LeBron has total respect for is, Gregg Popovich. You have to be a proven winner at the NBA level in order for LeBron to respect you.

I don't think he ever liked Spoelstra, but he knew that Spo was Riley's right hand man and Riley is a proven winner, so eventually they won two titles together. So far, Blatt looks like a novice at the NBA level. The Cavs have won games solely because LeBron, Love, and Irving are carrying the team. Blatt is so dependent on LeBron to run the offense, you can see the desperation on his face whenever LeBron sits on the bench and the team starts playing inconsistent on every end.

I usually don't read Joe Vardon's articles, but this one caught my eyes because of the title:
LeBron James "steals" minutes, but Cleveland Cavaliers coach David Blatt won't press charges
And this part really bothered me while reading it:

I know it might sound little, but something in this situation really bothers me - I never heard of a team where a player chooses when to enter the game, and even though he "knows the plan", it is still not a good and healthy system and not a good example for the other players when you have someone who can enter the game when he feels like it or basically do whatever he wants.
Things like that will make bad habits to grow, and this is a really bad foundation for a team.
A healthy team has one commander - the coach.

He used to do the same thing in Miami.

Awful.
lol If you want to die slow go to Cavfanatic.

The biggest thread in their team talk is "At what point do you realize Blatt needs to be fired?"

Havent signed in to there for a very long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-15: "Cavs Survive and Advance"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:15: Cavs Survive and Advance