• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Dog Thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Here's Maddie, my fiance and I's rottie lab mix (with maybe some shepherd thrown in).

She's the first dog I've had since a couple of chocolate labs I had as a kid.

She's crazy but we both love her.

207w6jr.jpg

oidc05.jpg

1603blc.jpg

2rvzfwo.jpg

21u0c8.jpg

I feel like a horrible parent. I googled what I thought was a behavioral tick (tilting head, chasing tail) my dog had and it could be an ear infection I have left untreated for a LONG time. I may be paranoid as he doesn't look to be in pain but he could have also had an ear infection and my dumb ignorance didn't see it for a LONG time.

I feel like a horrible parent. I googled what I thought was a behavioral tick (tilting head, chasing tail) my dog had and it could be an ear infection I have left untreated for a LONG time. I may be paranoid as he doesn't look to be in pain but he could have also had an ear infection and my dumb ignorance didn't see it for a LONG time.

If your dog has an ear infection, you'll be able to smell it. Just smell the inside of his ears and see if they have that funky yeast-like smell. If they do, he probably has an infection.

I've never really associated the head tilt with an ear infection, though. Usually that's just when you say something and they are trying to figure out what you mean. If your dog shakes himself off a lot, that can be a sign of an infection, though. And I don't mean doing it once in a while, like when he gets up from a nap. I mean doing it pretty consistently.

Anyone have experience travelling with dogs? Like travelling internationally?

I'm always flying in and out these days and I've been thinking of getting a pet. Cats obviously aren't an option for lots of travel and going out and such.

But a dog, I figure I can take a dog pretty much anywhere.. I'm just worried I might run into problems with quarantines and travel restrictions due to flying with a pet internationally.

As most of my posts start, complete lurker. I have a dog that's almost 2 years now that is almost scared aggressive towards being touched while eating or drinking. My wife and I were considering kids soon, but this dog isn't responding to friendly "treatment " or the alpha approach. Anybody have any experience in this situation?

If your dog has an ear infection, you'll be able to smell it. Just smell the inside of his ears and see if they have that funky yeast-like smell. If they do, he probably has an infection.

I've never really associated the head tilt with an ear infection, though. Usually that's just when you say something and they are trying to figure out what you mean. If your dog shakes himself off a lot, that can be a sign of an infection, though. And I don't mean doing it once in a while, like when he gets up from a nap. I mean doing it pretty consistently.
It's usually a tilt then scratch of one ear. I hate to continue to put it off but I'm trying to find a decent vet bc long story so I'm gonna chart how frequently he does it. I would think if he had an infection it would be more consistent like even more than once a day, today I haven't seen it heard it at all and I don't smell anything and he let's me touch his ears. Who knows.

As most of my posts start, complete lurker. I have a dog that's almost 2 years now that is almost scared aggressive towards being touched while eating or drinking. My wife and I were considering kids soon, but this dog isn't responding to friendly "treatment " or the alpha approach. Anybody have any experience in this situation?

Big or small dog? What breed?

Does he/she nip at you if you touch them? It could possibly be that they are just being possessive of their food/water?

It's usually a tilt then scratch of one ear. I hate to continue to put it off but I'm trying to find a decent vet bc long story so I'm gonna chart how frequently he does it. I would think if he had an infection it would be more consistent like even more than once a day, today I haven't seen it heard it at all and I don't smell anything and he let's me touch his ears. Who knows.

Any scabs in the ear? Sometimes when my dogs scratch at their ears they form scabs in there, which just makes the itch worse. If the ear doesn't smell funky, have you tried just cleaning it out with a swab? It might just be dirty?

will attemp that now maybe my ocd is just getting the better of me no ear scratching or head tilts so far today.

Just did without any liquid cleaner he thought I was petting him lol

Edit: 15 min later he titled and shook his head on the couch but I'm gonna chalk that up to all the ear touching I've been doing

He did it again 10 min later but he could just have an itch or something the only reason why I was worried was he kept doing it over and over last night

Last edited:
She's a smaller mutt (~40 pounds). mixed but said to be more pitt than anything else. She starts off as the stop eating, wtf looking at you type. Never really ever nips.

She's a smaller mutt (~40 pounds). mixed but said to be more pitt than anything else. She starts off as the stop eating, wtf looking at you type. Never really ever nips.

You could try picking up her food before she has eaten it all then put it back down again. Teaches them to be patient.

My fiance's son has grabbed some of our dog's treats and toys on occasion when she is playing with them and she can be pissy about it, so we have to do that from time to time.

That may not be the problem though.

Last edited:
You could try pick up her food before she has eaten it all then put it back down again. Teaches them to be patient.

My fiance's son has grabbed some of our dog's treats and toys on occasion when she is playing with them and she can be pissy about it, so we have to do that from time to time.

That may not be the problem though.

Seconded on the picking up and taking. Thus works well.

Anyone have experience travelling with dogs? Like travelling internationally?

I'm always flying in and out these days and I've been thinking of getting a pet. Cats obviously aren't an option for lots of travel and going out and such.

But a dog, I figure I can take a dog pretty much anywhere.. I'm just worried I might run into problems with quarantines and travel restrictions due to flying with a pet internationally.

I'm not sure where internationally you're flying, but I know dogs can easily travel to Canada as long as their shots are up to date.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."