• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Jonas V thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
Tristan did not make the top 25 list.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/12007026/anthony-davis-no-1-top-25-players-age-25-nba

17. Jonas Valanciunas | Projected 3-year WARP: 6.8

Pelton: Valanciunas has raised his PER from 16.1 in 2013-14 to 19.6 this season thanks to improving his free throw rate and a bounce back in his block rate. Expect his usage rate to increase as Valanciunas reaches his prime.
Thorpe: Every season has seen incremental growth from Valanciunas, now a legitimate force inside for a very good team. He has to be accounted for on each end and still is growing as an offensive force. Has a good chance to become an 18-point, 10-rebound player.
Elhassan: Excellent pick-and-roll threat, strong rebounder and improving defender. He's the perfect fit for what the Raptors want to do on both sides of the court.​

Cany anybody give us the bare list without copy and pasting the whole article? I can't find it anywhere on the web and look forward to seeing who ranks where on this every year.

From the article:
This season, we ranked our top 25 under 25 based not on who they are now, but who they can become. It's not solely based on potential as much as the projection on how much of that full potential can be reached. In a sense, this ranking represents how these players would be drafted if each were available in the draft right now.

To be clear: This is a ranking of how we would order these players if we were starting a franchise and would have them for the next several years, not just this season. The overall rankings are based on an aggregate average of the individual rankings of our trio of NBA experts, Amin Elhassan, Kevin Pelton and David Thorpe. Players must be 24 or younger as of today to be eligible for these rankings.

1. Anthony Davis
2. DeMarcus Cousins
3. John Wall
4. Kyrie Irving
5. Paul George
6. Andre Drummond
7. Damian Lillard
8. Kawhi Leonard
9. Giannis Antetokounmpo
10. Klay Thompson
11. Derrick Favors
12. Gordon Hayward
13. Bradley Beal
14. Joel Embiid
15. Jrue Holiday
16. Greg Monroe
17. Jonas Valanciunas
18. Andrew Wiggins
19. Nikola Vucevic
20. Brandon Knight
21. Tobias Harris
22. Julius Randle
23. Dante Exum
24. Ricky Rubio
T25. Draymond Green
T25. Jabari Parker

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/12757295/nba-roster-reload-next-moves-toronto-raptors

The most interesting player on the roster is center Jonas Valanciunas, who had his long-awaited statistical breakthrough in his third season. Valanciunas averaged 16.5 points and 11.9 rebounds per 36 minutes while shooting an impressive 57.2 percent from the field. Yet the Raptors were outscored with Valanciunas on the court and he continues to sit fourth quarters, making a possible rookie extension this fall a tricky negotiation.

http://espn.go.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/12757295/nba-roster-reload-next-moves-toronto-raptors

The most interesting player on the roster is center Jonas Valanciunas, who had his long-awaited statistical breakthrough in his third season. Valanciunas averaged 16.5 points and 11.9 rebounds per 36 minutes while shooting an impressive 57.2 percent from the field. Yet the Raptors were outscored with Valanciunas on the court and he continues to sit fourth quarters, making a possible rookie extension this fall a tricky negotiation.
Raptors fked up his development. Made him fat. Now he became slow af. Can't jump either. Casey probably told him not to shoot from mid range also (he's not that bad at it tho). He always running setting screens all game long thats it. His man to man defense pretty good, but Raptors guards always get's destroyed by their opponents that's when JV tries to help and his player always get's wide open and often scores easy points and you know when he get's benched by Casey LOL. He's always ignored on offense thats why he pretty often gets frustrated and make dumb fouls/actions ..Confidence plays a big part in his game. I hope he leaves Toronto or at least he get's traded cuz he's not getting better there.

wait, what? So it's about who they can become, but who they are right now, and also based on some rankings these 3 ppl made up--and oh yeah- you are starting a franchise... Yeah- this sounds like a high quality set of data.

From the article:
This season, we ranked our top 25 under 25 based not on who they are now, but who they can become. It's not solely based on potential as much as the projection on how much of that full potential can be reached. In a sense, this ranking represents how these players would be drafted if each were available in the draft right now.

To be clear: This is a ranking of how we would order these players if we were starting a franchise and would have them for the next several years, not just this season. The overall rankings are based on an aggregate average of the individual rankings of our trio of NBA experts, Amin Elhassan, Kevin Pelton and David Thorpe. Players must be 24 or younger as of today to be eligible for these rankings.

1. Anthony Davis
2. DeMarcus Cousins
3. John Wall
4. Kyrie Irving
5. Paul George
6. Andre Drummond
7. Damian Lillard
8. Kawhi Leonard
9. Giannis Antetokounmpo
10. Klay Thompson
11. Derrick Favors
12. Gordon Hayward
13. Bradley Beal
14. Joel Embiid
15. Jrue Holiday
16. Greg Monroe
17. Jonas Valanciunas
18. Andrew Wiggins
19. Nikola Vucevic
20. Brandon Knight
21. Tobias Harris
22. Julius Randle
23. Dante Exum
24. Ricky Rubio
T25. Draymond Green
T25. Jabari Parker

I think he is being misused and underdeveloped in Toronto, but I also think he and his management did not want to be in Cleveland in 2011...

So I hope he continues to be misused and underdeveloped

I think it's obvious we missed more on Klay and Kawhi than Mr. Jonas Brother.

Yeah, Tristan is looking like a better pick than Jonas right now. But we definitely missed out on some other guys in that draft.

Yeah, Tristan is looking like a better pick than Jonas right now. But we definitely missed out on some other guys in that draft.
i'm curious what your opinion would be had they not snagged mozgov.

Just a smidge off topic but in regard to TT/JV

I hope they start anyone at 4 next to Mozgov other THAN Tristan in the place of Love. JJ, Marion... anyone who could/will make Pau/Jo have to cover alot of ground on the other end.

I do like TT a hell of a lot more in the energy big off the bench role that his skillset seemed destined to play at this level.

And to post my FINAL post ever on Jonas...

I wouldnt trade Mozgov for Jonas straight up. Couldnt be happier with Timo

:couple inlove: (me and Mozgov)

Just a smidge off topic but in regard to TT/JV

I hope they start anyone at 4 next to Mozgov other THAN Tristan in the place of Love. JJ, Marion... anyone who could/will make Pau/Jo have to cover alot of ground on the other end.

I do like TT a hell of a lot more in the energy big off the bench role that his skillset seemed destined to play at this level.

And to post my FINAL post ever on Jonas...

I wouldnt trade Mozgov for Jonas straight up. Couldnt be happier with Timo

:couple inlove: (me and Mozgov)
does marion really help out all that much? i'd let him run around all he wants and still keep noah/pau/taj/miro around the paint.

starting tristan would be bad, but not sure marion would help a whole lot either. even the corpse of mike miller would command more attention away from the ball.

i'm curious what your opinion would be had they not snagged mozgov.

I mean, that's an alternate reality. And it's not that I don't think that Jonas is a better prospect and potentially could still become better than Thompson. It's just that Thompson is looking like the better player right now.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."