• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Brendan Haywood's Trade Exception

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
So I guess we should have been okay with Haywood, too, event though he's not in his prime…it's not a matter of being in one's prime or not in my opinion. It's a matter of "can he play or can't he." In this case, I don't think Perkins brings anything to the table that Haywood didn't bring - which is frankly nothing in both cases, and neither of them should see any playing time unless it's an absolute blowout with 2 minutes left in the game.
You missed the context of the post. I was replying to someone who said the reason they suck is they have played to many mins and past their prime. It had nothing to do with how much playing time they should get.
While I agree neither are ideal 4th bigs, based on who was available with the money we had, I dont know if we could have done something better.

Our 4th big next year is going to be Andy, that will be better than most other teams' 4th bigs, that's for sure. Also, GS is not going to dump Iguodala, he is probably the 3rd or 4th most important player on that team. Maybe Lee, but the I'd put money on them just paying the tax.

Our 4th big next year is going to be Andy, that will be better than most other teams' 4th bigs, that's for sure. Also, GS is not going to dump Iguodala, he is probably the 3rd or 4th most important player on that team. Maybe Lee, but the I'd put money on them just paying the tax.
That's true but I'm worried about how he'll look following an Achilles injury.

Coach David Blatt was comfortable enough with the margin that he emptied his bench, or so I thought. The following day in Dallas, Brendan Haywood was talking with his teammates about the game and how everyone was clicking.

Unaware for some odd reason, I foolishly asked Haywood how many minutes he logged in that game. His response was memorable.

"What number does Kevin Love wear?" he responded.

Surprised that he didn't receive any action, I asked why he thought he didn't play.

"I feel like I'm the secret weapon," he said facetiously. "My mindset is that the coaching staff doesn't want to let the other coaches in the league have film on me. So when the playoffs come along, they're going to unveil the secret weapon and they're not going to know what hit them. They're never going to see it coming. Me included."

That's classic Haywood. He always has a knack for implementing humor into a difficult situation. Now behind Timofey Mozgov, Tristan Thompson and Kendrick Perkins in the center spot, he hasn't played in almost a month. But you couldn't tell by his demeanor. He's typically upbeat.

:chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Is Haywood just going to retire after he gets traded this summer? It's clear he doesn't have the mobility to play in the NBA anymore, even as a 3rd big.

Another thing regarding Haywood...I've seen people still talking about how the Cavs were smart to hold on to his contract as an insurance policy for whatever happens with Love, but truthfully I don't think Haywood's contract has anywhere NEAR as much value anymore as it did at the time we made the trade last summer. The main reasons being, everyone knows the salary cap is going to nearly double in 2016, and then it's almost a certainty the CBA will be reworked in 2017, especially regarding the luxury tax penalties, maybe even eliminating the repeater tax.

Dumping overpaid contracts isn't nearly as much of a priority for most teams as it would normally be.

Plenty of teams still want nothing to do with the luxury tax. Golden State is a prime example. Haywood's contract is a good insurance policy in case Love leaves. We can instantly take David Lee off their hands.

I'd be pretty happy too if I couldn't play a lick at the NBA level any longer and knew that I had another $10M (or whatever it is) coming to me next year. Plus you get a floor seat to watch a good team this year.

Any thoughts on whether Blatt should consider going to Haywood over Perkins as the 4th big? I understand Perkins can have value as an enforcer or whatnot, but he seems to have forgotten the rules of basketball. Just curious if anyone thinks Haywood has enough left in the tank to outperform Perkins?

I'd be pretty happy too if I couldn't play a lick at the NBA level any longer and knew that I had another $10M (or whatever it is) coming to me next year. Plus you get a floor seat to watch a good team this year.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the whole idea of his contract was that the $10m is non-guaranteed, so the Cavs would be able to trade his contract for someone with guaranteed $10m but Haywood would certainly get release by the team that trades for him and never actually see the money.

Because of Andy's injury history, it is important that the 5th big next year is someone who can actually play and have at least 1-2 positive functions every time they step on the floor. They have to be at least one level above Perkins and two levels above Haywood. Although those guys have not gotten many minutes. They're bodies are just too old and creaky to be compatible with the way we want to push on offense and the way we aggressively switch on defense.

Not sure if I prefer a true center type or more of a PF who can contrast with Tristans raw offense and hit some mid range jumpers the way Brandon Bass can.

3 main way to get this player:

Luxury Team MLE: Guys that could be an option at that price are Amir Johnson, Ed Davis, Darrell Arthur, Jeff Withey, Alexis Ajinca, Cole Aldrich, Kevin Seraphin

Haywoods contract: Lots of flexibility here because while you could trade him to a luxury tax abherrent team for someone in the 9-11 million range, you could also trade him to a team well under the cap and take bck someone making any amount below 10-11 million.

Draft: Someone like an Upshaw might be interesting for long term development. And then with Trey Lyles and Montrez Harrel both signed to Klutch, you could hear a lot of smoke with them.

It was nice to watch Haywood get some playing time last night. He was playing like he thought it might be his last time on the hardwood, sort of like how Delly plays every game.

Now trade him for someone good this summer!!

"I feel like I'm the secret weapon," he said facetiously. "My mindset is that the coaching staff doesn't want to let the other coaches in the league have film on me. So when the playoffs come along, they're going to unveil the secret weapon and they're not going to know what hit them. They're never going to see it coming. Me included."

This is what Haywood had anticipated. With Love down, we have no other choice. We must unleash the secret weapon!

15944066-standard.jpg

One scenario on the personnel grapevine gaining steam is the notion that the Spurs could elect to explore the possibility of dealing away Tiago Splitter to create more financial flexibility. Splitter has two years left on his contract valued at just under $17 million and is quietly regarded as a key contributor in San Antonio given how well he fits as a frontcourt sidekick next to Duncan. But if you're the Spurs -- and if the increasingly loud rumbles about Aldridge having San Antonio as the preferred destination atop his wish list prove true -- examining Splitter's trade market might suddenly become unavoidable. ESPN.com - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.QQwHaZ11.dpuf

Would be a great use of Mr. Haywood's contract, IMO. Have a big man rotation next year of:

Mozgov/Splitter/Andy
Love/Tristan/Andy

Would also give us a good option if we can't match a deal for Tristan.

Funniest shit I read is someone said if lebron needs a breather have Haywood fake a heart attack on the court

One scenario on the personnel grapevine gaining steam is the notion that the Spurs could elect to explore the possibility of dealing away Tiago Splitter to create more financial flexibility. Splitter has two years left on his contract valued at just under $17 million and is quietly regarded as a key contributor in San Antonio given how well he fits as a frontcourt sidekick next to Duncan. But if you're the Spurs -- and if the increasingly loud rumbles about Aldridge having San Antonio as the preferred destination atop his wish list prove true -- examining Splitter's trade market might suddenly become unavoidable. ESPN.com - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.QQwHaZ11.dpuf

Would be a great use of Mr. Haywood's contract, IMO. Have a big man rotation next year of:

Mozgov/Splitter/Andy
Love/Tristan/Andy

Would also give us a good option if we can't match a deal for Tristan.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I think we need a wing not another big.

I know we have a few guys with injury concerns but having 5 bigs in your rotation doesn't seem like a good use of the cap / roster space.

If we're moving BH, it needs to be for a player that can spell LeBron and also play the SF position when we go small with LBJ at the 4.

Splitter is a decent guy to target but only if we then plan to move Andy in another deal. Our two biggest needs are a wing and potentially a third PG. We are set at SG, PF and C IMO.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."