• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Houston Deputy Murdered while pumping gas

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I'm waiting to hear both sides of the story.

Did I do that right?

I think you miss the point..

If someone chooses not to go down this path, and chooses to be disrespectful, even intentionally - that shouldn't mean we justify police brutality or misconduct, which, is all too often the case.

Exactly.

Resisting arrest is a charge you can add to whatever else you're dealing with them for, but it shouldn't give a cop the license to beat the shit out of someone or kill them.

I wouldn't advise being an asshole with a cop, but it shouldn't put your life in danger.

I think you miss the point..

If someone chooses not to go down this path, and chooses to be disrespectful, even intentionally - that shouldn't mean we justify police brutality or misconduct, which, is all too often the case.

I don't miss the point at all. I understand that cops have been out of control and I understand that people have the right to be disrespectful to a cop.

But what I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense to be disrespectful right off the bat. I just don't see the upside.

I don't miss the point at all.

But check out what you say below...

I understand that cops have been out of control and I understand that people have the right to be disrespectful to a cop.

Okay...

But what I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense to be disrespectful right off the bat. I just don't see the upside.

Because being disrespectful to someone behind a DMV customer service desk is considered normal - because they are often disrespectful and do a poor job. However, being disrespectful to a cop is just stupid - you're right, there is no upside. But why is that the case? Why are these two civil servants treated differently?

Oh wait...

288.jpg

I think the point is that I agree there is no upside, there is no reason to be disrespectful to a cop, and it will not turn out well. I agree because police brutality is so rampant.

But I would give the same advice to someone travelling the roads in the Philippines, or in some other 3rd world country where you might get harassed, brutalized, and potentially killed.

What does that say about our society?

Sadly, I feel safer in some of those countries when dealing with the police than I do in my own.

Often i think you get caught up in your replies, you don't take the person into consideration that you are responding to. We have had discussions long enough that I think you actually know me pretty well. Your answers sometimes are like talking points to cover a vasst disparity of people rather than focusing on the person who is actually talking to you. Now granted everyone who reads my posts may not have been around and shared the conversations we have over the years so they might get lost if you actually responded to just me and knowing me but meh fuck them right?

Ron, I agree my posts are generally broad because you'll often notice people quote them and then take them completely out of context. So, I've gotten used to not speak as conversationally as I might because too often people use what I might say, particularly in these threads, as a springboard to something else.

As far as talking points; I'm really not on any talking points in this thread. I'm being 100% genuine and honest.

You know I am not ignoring race I just don't define people by it. You know I am a character person and that is what I judge people on, I don't care if they are purple. You know I am not living in denial because I actually weigh in give my opinions and my advice (worth what you pay for it). I am old enough to know I can't change anyone, not even the wife I have spent 17 years with. The best case for racism to go away is for the racists to die off. That is happening, and has more boomers and their parents that pass the less racism there will be. ( my opinion again cause I don't know all the answers)

I don't think racists are dying off, Ron.. I think they've just evolved with the times.

Malcolm X used to describe "liberal racism." A more insidious, dangerous form of racism, that hides itself in the indirect defense of privilege through colorblindness and a defense of the status quo, I think, that's far more common today than what we're most familiar with.

Just talking to young people today about race doesn't expose the same deep seated fear and hostility towards Blacks and other minorities, so it's not as apparent at first glance; but when delving deeper, studies show the same tribalistic, racist, and ignorant views are still present, they simply don't manifest in the same violent manner as they did historically.

Lastly, I do sympathize with the struggles of people who are discriminated against and you know this. All discrimination, be it for color or gender or sexual orientation think about all the discussions surrounding my family the subjects we discuss from my daughters mental health to my son being gay ect

And I understand this. I know about your situation. What I'm saying to you is that we can't address racial issues in this country by simply waiting them out. In my view, more people, not fewer, will be shot and killed as a result.

Now ill admit your response today and the other day did get under my skin, but not because we disagree but quiet honestly because you ignored who I am as a person. We have spent what almost 7 years discussing topics all over the spectrum and for you to lump me into categories pr boxes that if you actually thought about who you are replying to would laugh and think you were as off bases as I do.

I think you misunderstand my position, Ron.

I'm not lumping you with anyone.

I'm saying that we can't look at every situation and say things like "I fear no man;" "I live in Texas," "I raise my kids xyz way;" again, without understanding that each of us lives differently than the other.

The reality of the situation is that you being a White male (and I've told you this before) gives you a privilege that others do not have. You might not think this is true; but it is, and it can demonstrated readily. So when you say "I don't fear any man," well, that's understandable - but you should also understand that when I travel through Texas, I'm constantly looking over my shoulder, as I'm fearful of racist White cops looking to kill me. You don't think that's completely understandable given the current situation in this country?

I mean I am man enough to admit it made me a little butt hurt, I would hope you would take the time to actually consider how much you do know about me before you start throwing those stereo typical labels on me.

I never labeled you, not once, nor would I. I think you might be thinking of my response to a different poster.

Being a cop seems like it might be kind of dangerous these days.

No idea why anyone would want to be a cop in the first place.

Probably so they can have free reign to practice their racism, harass/beat up/kill black people, etc.

At least, certain factions in this country would have you thinking so. :chuckle:

Being a cop seems like it might be kind of dangerous these days.

Agreed..

Being Black and getting stopped by a cop is also seeming kind of dangerous too.

Harvard experiments lead me to believe the job comes before the behavior
Probably so they can have free reign to practice their racism, harass/beat up/kill black people, etc.

At least, certain factions in this country would have you thinking so. :chuckle:

Agreed..

Just simply being black? Or being black and engaging in criminal behavior?

Agreed..

So does this work the opposite way at all gouri? Should I, someone who would be labeled as having "white" skin, be concerned about being pulled over by a "black" cop for fear of racism? Or is it only white cops that are racist? Maybe the problem is the perception of what the media shows day in and day out....

I'm not a fan of any cop to be honest. I don't like what they do nor do I need their services - I take care of my own.

You want to know about the last time I dealt with a cop? My grandfather let someone use his phone in his house (bless his soul) and the guy stole a cool G from his wallet.

The cops were called to make a report and the guy's advice was "you shouldn't have that much money in your wallet"

What an asshole.....I don't pay you for advice there detective scroats.

Pretty straight forward bro.

Stopped by a cop for...criminal behavior? How many people are being shot after being stopped for jaywalking or speeding? You mean to tell me it's usually because they're actually doing something bad?

Not that it warrants being shot, of course. Anyways, my original comment was just because I remembered you telling me cops don't really risk their lives much and the job isn't all that dangerous. I saw an opening and I took it, I admit it.

Tragic story though.

So does this work the opposite way at all gouri?

Of course.

Should I, someone who would be labeled as having "white" skin, be concerned about being pulled over by a "black" cop for fear of racism?

This is where the disconnect happens, Mar.. You can see this in a lot of earlier posts on the subject.

When I talk about #BlackLivesMatter, or racist cops, etc... I'm not talking about White people. As in, I'm not referring to White people at all.

So, too often people conflate my comments about racist police as meaning racist White police, or racist White folks in general... when that's not what I mean at all. In fact, if you go back through my posts, I've said that the most racist cops of all - in my own personal experience - are Black cops! And I don't mean that they're racist against Whites, I mean they're racist against Blacks. That in itself is a stereotypical comment, but it's with respect to my own personal experiences dealing with Black cops in various places.

Or is it only white cops that are racist?

Definitely not.... Black cops are equally bad if not worse. It's not a White/Black thing.. It's a policing issue.

Maybe the problem is the perception of what the media shows day in and day out....

Nah, I reject this..

I'm not a fan of any cop to be honest. I don't like what they do nor do I need their services - I take care of my own.

Well, you and I differ on this Mar, I've had some cops really help me out in the past, and I'm appreciative of that.

You want to know about the last time I dealt with a cop? My grandfather let someone use his phone in his house and the guy stole a cool G from his wallet.

The cops were called to make a report and the guys advice was "you shouldn't have that much money in your wallet"

What an asshole.....I don't pay you for advice there detective scroats.

Sounds about right bro.. Not all cops are like that though.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."