• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

New TV Series to watch

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
what about the shows that did well at the Emmys?

Veep
Big Little Lies
The Handmaid's Tail
The Crown

I don't think I've seen any of those mentioned in this thread (maybe I missed some of them),

Also, Black Mirror, which I have watched, I don't think I've seen the episode that won the writing award yet.

And I thought Westworld would have won something. Everyone from that who was nominated was outstanding

I was underwhelmed by Big Little Lies. It wasn't outright bad or anything, but for a show that was as hyped as it was, I couldn't help but be disappointed by what I watched. The performances are all fine, but the story itself was a let down in the end.

Veep is great, although I'm not caught up on this season.

Like @MediumBaller, I found myself not really roped in by the first episode of Handmaid's Tale. I plan to watch the rest at some point, though. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Haven't seen The Crown.

Is Black Mirror worth watching? I've heard some good things.

Finally, the first episode of HBO's The Deuce was really good. It definitely has that Wire vibe where it's a story about a bunch of different characters in different walks of life who you can already see are all going to converge. The Wire did it brilliantly, where you saw how crime in Baltimore impacted everyone, from cops to criminals to politicians to the press to school kids to dock workers. I'm hoping The Deuce can follow suit, as Simon has done a lot of good work since then but nothing on par with The Wire.

Is Black Mirror worth watching? I've heard some good things.

Absolutely.

Finally, the first episode of HBO's The Deuce was really good. It definitely has that Wire vibe where it's a story about a bunch of different characters in different walks of life who you can already see are all going to converge. The Wire did it brilliantly, where you saw how crime in Baltimore impacted everyone, from cops to criminals to politicians to the press to school kids to dock workers. I'm hoping The Deuce can follow suit, as Simon has done a lot of good work since then but nothing on par with The Wire.

Completely agree. So far they're nailing it, no pun. I love a good drama that doesn't necessarily have a defining beginning or cliffhanger at the end of every episode. It just exists, and I feel like that's what this is. And this might sound extremely shallow, but my only beef is I'm having trouble believing that Maggie Gyllenhaal with a weird blonde wig is attractive enough to get all this business and have every pimp trying to buy her stock. She's a great actress, but I'm feeling suspect on the prosti thing. Very brave performance regardless.

I'd put Veep up there against the best comedies of all time...top 10 maybe. Like most shows, it does get a little weaker as it goes on, but there are so many good moments in it.

I'd put Veep up there against the best comedies of all time...top 10 maybe. Like most shows, it does get a little weaker as it goes on, but there are so many good moments in it.

I was struggling to get into the most recent season, but past seasons have been fantastic. I think I just need to commit to watching several episodes in a row to get through the new one.

On a related note, I'm finally getting around to watching Vice Principals and am really enjoying it. It starts out pretty slow but the later episodes in season one are pretty funny. Definitely seems like something anyone who liked Eastbound would enjoy, as it's got the same style and humor.

what about the shows that did well at the Emmys?

Veep
Big Little Lies
The Handmaid's Tail
The Crown

I don't think I've seen any of those mentioned in this thread (maybe I missed some of them),

Also, Black Mirror, which I have watched, I don't think I've seen the episode that won the writing award yet.

And I thought Westworld would have won something. Everyone from that who was nominated was outstanding

They are all good.

Rick and Morty season three has been uniformly great so far.

I was struggling to get into the most recent season, but past seasons have been fantastic. I think I just need to commit to watching several episodes in a row to get through the new one.

On a related note, I'm finally getting around to watching Vice Principals and am really enjoying it. It starts out pretty slow but the later episodes in season one are pretty funny. Definitely seems like something anyone who liked Eastbound would enjoy, as it's got the same style and humor.

Trump has ruined Veep because reality is more incompetent than fiction.

Well, the first season finale of Vice Principals certainly took an unexpected turn at the end.

Really liked the character development of Gamby over the course of the season. He actually feels like a different person at the end than he was at the beginning, and most of the development is natural based on how the other main characters impact his life. Surprisingly well-written character arc for a dumb comedy like this.

Starting the most recent season of Veep now.

Love the description of Uber. "A bunch of dumbass millennials too lazy to learn how to drive drunk."

Vice Principals is great! New season either just started is or is starting soon! I never watched Eastbound and Down either, so I can't make the comparison. It might help that I used to work in a school, but I think it stands on it's own without those reference points.

Well, the first season finale of Vice Principals certainly took an unexpected turn at the end.

Really liked the character development of Gamby over the course of the season. He actually feels like a different person at the end than he was at the beginning, and most of the development is natural based on how the other main characters impact his life. Surprisingly well-written character arc for a dumb comedy like this.

It starts with..."oh cool, Bill Murray is in this!" Then goes to..."Oh well."

I may have to rewatch before I get to the next season.

How is no one talking about American Vandal...

Shit is hysterical.

Vice Principals is great! New season either just started is or is starting soon! I never watched Eastbound and Down either, so I can't make the comparison. It might help that I used to work in a school, but I think it stands on it's own without those reference points.

I don't think you really need to have watched Eastbound & Down, but it's the same people behind both shows and they both have a very similar comedic and visual style. You should definitely watch Eastbound, though. It's hilarious.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."