• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cavs interested in Aldridge

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The Cleveland Cavaliers have held internal discussions of pursuing a trade with the Portland Trail Blazers for LaMarcus Aldridge, according to sources.
The Cavaliers have enough assets in the form of young players and picks to acquire a player of Aldridge's caliber, but the front office is said to value Tristan Thompson and Dion Waiters higher than the rest of the NBA.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

Please get him

So what i'm reading from that article is that we value Dion and Tristan over the NBA.....get the hell out of here

How much we talking? I'd assume varejao is included. Between Thompson, Waiters, Zeller, and draft picks, what do you include?

Aldridge is no Kevin Love.

Speaking of Wojo's article this part bugged me.

They have a franchise player, and they've squandered chances to surround him with the best available talent. Thompson over Jonas Valanciunas made no sense on draft day, and makes even less now.

Dion sure as hell looks like the BPA at 4. Highest ceiling and immediate impact at that selection. And Tristan is developing at an incredible rate and doesn't look like he's slowing down anytime soon. Jonas made it obvious he didn't want to be here. Cavs picked a player they were comfortable with.. attitude wise, work ethic, character, talent, ceiling. Etc etc etc. That was a BIG deal after Lebron bounced. Character and attitude. I love Wojo. But he's wrong on this one.

Even Zeller seems like a rotational big moving forward. Yeah he's not an all star caliber player. But dude was drafted in the back half of the first round. How many missed picks were around him?

I'd do Tristan, this year's first (CLE), and the future Sacramento first. That's top of the mark for me. Hard to include this year's first until we know where it is though.

It would still leave us with #19, #31, and #33. Attempt to package them to move up.

Maybe include next year's first in a package? If there's any asset we have that other teams will overvalue, that's the one.

I'd do Tristan, this year's first (CLE), and the future Sacramento first. That's top of the mark for me. Hard to include this year's first until we know where it is though.

It would still leave us with #19, #31, and #33. Attempt to package them to move up.

That is a lot of talent to give up for someone that will be an unrestricted free agent in two seasons. He would have to extend as part of the trade, and I'm not so sure I would even do that. Tristan is a very good young player.

Good to hear that we're being aggressive from the get-go. I'd be really bummed about throwing our 2013 #1 in though. I wouldn't mind packaging Tristan + any other picks (2014 #1 + 2013 LA #1 + Sac #1, for example), but if we make a move for Aldridge, we're in the playoffs next year with Brown running the defense. Because of that, I think it's all the more crucial that we land a final meshing piece to grow with in Noel / Len / Porter. All of those guys would fit nicely next to Aldridge and would fill one of our last voids (SF / C) on a cheap contract.

With all of that said, if the opportunity to trade Tristan + draft picks for Aldridge (or Love) arises, we should be elated as fans. Tristan's progress was awesome to watch this season, but not to the extent of passing on a deal to land a young, established, all-star caliber, two-way player at the same position. Same goes for Dion, although I'd prefer to keep him around if possible. Not likely that anyone with an LMA-level player would accept a package for Varejao unless we were to include entirely too many draft picks.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."