• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Cavs Interested in Kosta Koufos

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Simon

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Add Memphis' Koufos to Cavs' wish list

The Cleveland Cavaliers are widening their scope in search of the rim protector that, even amid their best basketball of this young season, everyone knows they badly need.

Far more worrisome to the Cavs than their uneven 11-7 start is the lack of a proven presence at the rim to help stiffen their defense for the long term. That's why Cleveland, sources say, has been inquiring with the Memphis Grizzlies about the available of reserve center Kosta Koufos among their various trade pursuits.

Sources say that the Cavs are well aware landing a quality big man likely depends on selling on potential trade partners to take back polarizing shooting guard Dion Waiters. Cleveland rates Waiters' talent highly, but sources maintain that the Cavs have let a number of teams know they are prepared to surrender him if they can acquire a difference-making center in return.

And Koufos, regarded as one of the league's more underrated interior defenders thanks to the limited minutes he gets behind Marc Gasol and Zach Randolph, would certainly qualify.

How willing the Grizzlies are to part with Koufos, meanwhile, remains to be seen.

It's naturally hard to see it at this early juncture no matter how blessed Memphis is with frontcourt depth. When you rip through the first quarter of the season at 16-4, there isn't much incentive to change anything.

Stay tuned, though. There are some significant differences between Koufos' standing with Memphis and the Cavs' long-running but ultimately unsuccessful attempts to convince the Denver Nuggets to bite on a Waiters-for-Timofey Mozgov swap.

In Denver, Mozgov is under contract next season on a highly favorable team option valued at $4.95 million. The Nuggets can't be faulted for wanting to keep a productive big man at that price for themselves when they know Mozgov can't bolt this summer. Koufos, by contrast, is an unrestricted free agent next summer whose camp, sources say, has made it known to Grizzlies management that it's less than pleased with the limited role carved out for the 7-footer over the last two seasons.

So ...

If the Grizzlies could add a scorer like Waiters for a player who could simply leave them without compensation in July, either to keep or trade themselves, you figure they'd have to consider it.

Especially since the Grizzlies, as formidable as they've looked so far, could certainly use another wing scorer to boost their own long-term aspirations, though it's a secret to pretty much no one at this point that Waiters -- judging by his struggles to adapt to a reserve role under first-year Cavs coach David Blatt -- doesn't want to come off anyone's bench.

The names of several fantasy trade targets to address the Cavs' frontcourt shortcomings have been in circulation for weeks. All of them, though, appear out of reach: DeAndre Jordan, Roy Hibbert and, yes, even Mozgov.

Koufos might prove to be, too, but Waiters-for-Koufos is a trade scenario that has to be monitored.

Even more so when you take note of the Cavs' interest in Grizzlies veteran Tayshaun Prince, as reported Friday by my ESPN.com colleague Brian Windhorst. The Cavs have the parts to assemble a deal to send Waiters to Memphis and take Prince's $7.7 million salary off the Grizzlies' hands in addition to acquiring Koufos.

Interesting possibilities all around to file away.

Waiters for Koufos might be a loss in talent for the Cavaliers, but Koufos has developed into a legitimate center, which will fix a lot of problems. I hope this is a fall back option, and the best option continues to be Waiters adapting to the new role. Hell, Love and LeBron fully accepting new roles in Blatt's offense would do worlds of wonder to this team.

Now that it's been talked about, it's not going to happen.

And I wouldn't want anything to do with Prince, even if it got us Kosta.

I like Koufos. Trading him doesn't leave Memphis with much depth at C though.

I think Memphis keeps coming up because we own their pick, an element that would be helpful in any trade talks.

I don't think Waiters is going to be here in a couple months.

Now that it's been talked about, it's not going to happen.

And I wouldn't want anything to do with Prince, even if it got us Kosta.

Marion is 36, we're playing him like he's 26. Just make it two guys' job and distribute those minutes between the two of them. Tayshaun can do what this team needs, and that's play smart defense, communicate on D and fill the lane.

If we keep running Shawn like this, he'll be worthless in the playoffs, I think he's got just enough in the tank to make a difference in a series, but we've got to cut his role down a little bit.

If Kosta is as good as advertised, and we get that second defender, shit; let's do whatever if it gets us to the finals.

Can we toss their draft pick back to them if Tony Allen is included? Or we keep their draft pick, get Kosta as the C for the foreseeable future and actually use the Memphis pick to draft a solid 7 footer.

Either way, it seems Memphis might make sense as a trading partner.

I just realized that Kosta is only 25 years old.. He'd be a great addition to this team especially with his shot blocking. It would probably cost a first round pick or Waiters.

Personally, I know OKC won't trade him, but I would love Steven Adams here more than Koufos.

Koufos, would be a nice addition, however. I just don't see him play that much.

im not sure i want koufos, it would be impossible to get tickets to games with all the ladies buying their way into the q to get a close up look at this stud muffin:

act_kosta_koufos.jpg

w640xh480_USPW_173626.jpg

Trading Koufos away would leave a bigger hole for Memphis than which Dion could fill. The backup for Marc Gasol was always a problem before they acquired Koufos. I dont see why this trade would make sense for them. Adding in Prince or Allen (?!) is even more bizarre.

As much as Id love Koufos on this team, I wouldnt get my hopes up.

Kofous' value is all about Memphis and how much they think it will take to keep him. It's very similar to gortat in Orlando. If the guy wants to establish himself as any young big should aim to do, he needs minutes. The grizz don't have them available so he will go elsewhere. Oh look one of the best teams has a need for him and he has a bit of a connection to the state. I wonder what his agent wants and is saying the Memphis right now? :detective:

Grizzlies are only about 1 mil under the tax. They might some flexibility moving forward. Doing 2 separate deals like the Bogans exception for Kosta and then Waiters for Pondexter + filler would save them around 3 mil. It would allow for some future deals for Memphis and still stay under the cap.

I dont see us getting a decent player from a team playing the way Memphis is. They only do it if they think it makes them better, and why would we do that?

I think our trade partner for a center is going to be a team looking to the future. That is where Dion looks valuable, and I think it may also take Tristan to get what we want...This is why I brought up Monroe and KCP. Of course nobody seems to like that particular trade, so I leave that be, but I think is essence we are looking for an experienced true center and a tall shooting 2, in exchange for Dion and TT. I think those players, if we get them at all will come from a team in the bottom half of the league, and more likely from a team in the west...

Presumably, he'd come here and be our 4th big man behind Andy, Love, and TT. Is that really something in which he'd be interested long-term, or would he just leave after the season in the hope of getting a starting (or at least 3d big) role?

Presumably, he'd come here and be our 4th big man behind Andy, Love, and TT. Is that really something in which he'd be interested long-term, or would he just leave after the season in the hope of getting a starting (or at least 3d big) role?
You would think he would come here with the idea of taking the starting 5 spot from Andy, who is suited to a bench role. It wouldn't happen this year but he has time on his side

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."