• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Likely use of Haywood contract?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DawgPoundMBA

Rookie
Reaction score
I was thinking about the Haywood contract for this summer and was wondering who we will be using it on. I was thinking that an experience but not over the hill veteran around 29ish years old that hasnt won big yet probably would be the guy we go after. It would have to be someone that could force their way to Cleveland and possibly where another team could get some salary cap relief.

If we can resign our current players then a 3, preferable one that can get their own shot, would be ideal. Maybe we just try to go big and try to get a top player like Aldridge, but that is unlikely.

I think that Lebron might be able to get a good veteran to come here to play a role like Josh Smith, Corey Brewer or Danny Green, but that would be separate the Haywood contract.

How do you guys see the contract being used?

Most likely use of Brendan Haywood's contract will be to pay Haywood a bunch of money that he really didn't earn.

I think it all depends on what Kevin Love elects to do and the cost of keeping Tristan and Shumpert. If Love stays, and they sign all the restricted guys, they might not use it at all due to the tax implications of adding that much more salary. But if for whatever reason they lose the current guys, Haywood gives them a simple method of taking back a quality overpaid guy that could fill a new gap.

I still don't understand what is going on with Haywood's contract and how does that work.
I don't know shit about salaries, caps or whatever.
Can someone simplify this for me and explain what is the deal with Haywood and why is it so beneficial?

If Love goes David Lee or even a Ryan Anderson would be my target. One of those would require an additional asset (Anderson) but depending on what NO does this offseason he might be available.

I still don't understand what is going on with Haywood's contract and how does that work.
I don't know shit about salaries, caps or whatever.
Can someone simplify this for me and explain what is the deal with Haywood and why is it so beneficial?
After this season his contract is worth 10 million in unguaranteed salary. You could trade him for a player/players to a team who has an interest in cutting about 10 million, or whatever amounts the salary match rules say are allowed

I thought we would be able to get something of value but with the salary cap exploding over the next several years it really doesn't look like there will be a lot of impactful players at ~10M that teams will want to salary dump.

Its also getting costly to have the bench (with Love/Varajao/Kyrie out) play well when a number of them are due contracts int he offseason.

After this season his contract is worth 10 million in unguaranteed salary. You could trade him for a player/players to a team who has an interest in cutting about 10 million, or whatever amounts the salary match rules say are allowed

What does that mean?

What does that mean?

It means a team can cut him before a certain date and not owe him 10 million. So we could trade him for whoever, then the other team could immediately cut him, thus shedding salary.

It means a team can cut him before a certain date and not owe him 10 million. So we could trade him for whoever, then the other team could immediately cut him, thus shedding salary.

I see.
What teams might be interested in such a deal?

As is noted up thread the number of albatross contracts is limited and they also need to be someone that would accept a team situation and third/fourth/sixth? fiddle role. It's not a super long list and then add to that the exploding cap.

Danilo Gallinari ($11.5) maybe. Lance Stephenson (9M) thad young (9.9) Jordan Hill 9M anderson who someone mentiond 8.5 -- though I doubt they'd part with him, unlike the aforementioned...

would you want Brandon Jennings for one year at 8.3M. Channing Frye will be out there 7.8M. Marvin Williams 7M might be useful. Chandler, Wilson 7.1M OJ Mayo 8M, tho' I don't know that Buck want to move him. Kelvin Martin can score. he's 7M.

that's about it. Maybe Portland gets rid of Arron Afflalo (8M) but I doubt it.

None of them seem that interesting other than maybe Chandler

If Love goes David Lee or even a Ryan Anderson would be my target. One of those would require an additional asset (Anderson) but depending on what NO does this offseason he might be available.

David Lee is too expensive to fit in that deal, and there's no way NO would trade Anderson.

Guys they could go after though:

BOS Gerald Wallace and a 1st rounder (would help them clear cap space, but would only do this once Love has resigned with us)

CHA Lance Stephenson (highly unlikely, but possible and they would probably just be happy to get rid if him)

DEN Wilson Chandler and Randy Foye/Jameer Nelson

MIN Kevin Martin and Chase Budinger

ORL Channing Frye and Luke Ridnour

SAC Carl Landry and Darren Collison/Ben McLemore/Nik Stauskas

I see.
What teams might be interested in such a deal?
I think mainly rebuilding teams, asset collecting teams, teams where a player wants to walk away anyway. They could take on Haywood just if they want to shed salary and are willing to give up draft picks , maybe shed salary and get rid of a decent player if they are in full tank mode, take on Haywood to get draft picks back in return for whoever they are giving up (if we have any... Not sure what our draft pick situation is.)... Situations like that

Only guys definitively on contract next year are Andy, Joe Harris, and Kyrie. Mozgov is a team option that I cant imagine we do not pick up, so you can basically count him too. Mike Miller is on a player option for 2.8m and unless he retires, we will probably pick that up too. JR is due to make 6.4m, but might opt out to try to sign a long term contract. After this season I'd think we try to resign him. Lebron and Love also have 1 year options, and I would imagine they could opt out and resign for more money so I don't see why they wouldn't do that. Delly (800,000), Shump (2.7m), and Tristan(5.4m) are all restricted free agents, and they're all going to more than double their salaries after this post season. Delly is going to way more than double his salary. Jones is unrestricted, but I don't see how he isnt retained too, hes pretty much a package deal with Lebron. Marion is going to retire, and Perkins will move on and do something else. Hopefully, resigning all those guys: Lebron, Love, JR, Shump, Tristan, Delly, and Jones is going to eat WAY into our cap and put us at luxury tax threshold again. We also have a 1st round pick to sign, though that will be a relatively cheap value contract.

Thats 13 players on the roster for next year. Haywood would make 14 and the draft pick would make 15 unless hes stashed in Europe or something. Basically, barring a trade, the only ways to improve the team are the 3.3m MLE for tax teams, which might net you an emergency 3rd PG. Really, given the amount of players on the roster, we'd almost need to trade him to make room. You would think the ideal target is a guy who's due to make 2 more years somewhere around 10 mill/year and whose team doesnt want to pay him because they suck and are rebuilding, but there arent that many of those guys in the league. Just a quick glance and the vast majority of contracts end after next season

Not only that, and if I stand correct, he is only due a little over 2 million next year.

I think it makes sense to use it to your advantage, traded to a team that sees it to their advantage as well.

Unless, of course, you value the basketball player more next year :chuckle:

Some guys I'd like to see us target:

• Tyreke Evans
  • Trevor Ariza
  • Wilson Chandler
  • Nicholas Batum
  • Derrick Williams
  • Thaddeus Young
  • Ersan Ilyasova
  • Gerald Henderson
  • Channing Frye

Most of the guys listed are guys I see as good players who can get buckets when LeBron is out (his back-up).

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."