• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Mitch Albom: "Cleveland's Now America's Team"

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

El Martillo

Cross-Over
Reaction score
Great article from Mitch Albom from Detroit Free Press Sunday. Says Lebron's desertion has now made the Cavs "America's team" and writes: "Who is more a fan favorite now than you? Who would make a better championship story? LeBron has made Cleveland everybody's underdog." He also loved Gilbert's letter. Here's to Detroit!

ww.freep.com/article/20100711/COL01/7110450/1005/NEWS03/After-LeBron-Clevelands-now-our-kind-of-town

Detroit Free Press
July 11, 2010

After LeBron James episode, Cleveland's now our kind of town

BY MITCH ALBOM
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

Fear not, Cleveland. You've lost LeBron James. But you've gained something, too.

In hearing "farewell" from the world's most talented basketball player, you join a long but familiar list. You are Humphrey Bogart watching Ingrid Bergman fly out of Casablanca. You are Eponine in "Les Misérables," taking a bullet for Marius. You are Betty seeing Archie kiss Veronica.

You are the odd man out. The jilted lover. The one who says, "We have history. We're good together. Can't you see how much you mean to me?" You're Jacob in the "Twilight" movies. Only with your shirt on.

You are Charlie Brown sighing at the little red-headed girl. You are Jennifer Aniston watching Brad and Angelina's kids. You're that geeky stalker in "Forgetting Sarah Marshall."

Unrequited love, thy name is Cleveland. You did everything right, but it wasn't enough. Your heart's desire had a wandering eye.

And he wandered away.

Join the lonely hearts club

But fear not. The events of last week have lost you a superstar, but they gained you a nation. They made you sympathetic.

Cleveland with LeBron was like Julia Roberts with Lyle Lovett; a nice romance, but the clock was always ticking.

Ah, but once those two split up, who got the public embrace? The beautiful, famous actress -- or the plain-faced country singer?

That's right. Mr. Plain Face. Julia was hated. Julia got the "How could you?" Lyle was beloved. Because Lyle is one of us. Regular folk.

And so are you.

Let LeBron have Miami, Cleveland. Let him run with Dwyane Wade. Wade married his high school sweetheart, went to Miami, filed for divorce. Shaquille O'Neal had a wife, went to Miami, filed for divorce.

See what Miami does to people? Too many starlets. Too many clubs. Too much disco music.

Keep your dignity, Cleveland. Keep your ruddy looks. You're a lake and Miami is an ocean? Big deal. Oceans have sharks.

Who can relate to Miami? The people in Miami can't relate to Miami. It's a place of charlatans, wannabes and men with too many buttons open. Cleveland is real. Cleveland is face-value. What you see is what you get.

And you got dumped.

But as James Taylor says, you've got a friend.

Everyone loves an underdog

The fact is, there are more dumpees in the world than dumpers. Think of all the places that identify with you now, Cleveland.

Boston saw Babe Ruth sold to the Yankees. Brooklyn saw the Dodgers take off for Los Angeles. Baltimore saw the Colts vanish in the middle of the night, trucking it to Indianapolis.

Here in Detroit, we watched Motown pick up and leave for the coast. Motown! Diana Ross is from here, but left. Lily Tomlin is from here, left. Madonna is from here, left and grew an English accent.

Most of us, at some point, have been shunned for a bigger, better deal. So LeBron may have done you a favor, Cleveland.

He made you America's Team.

Really. Who is more a fan favorite now than you? Who would make a better championship story? LeBron has made Cleveland everybody's underdog.

When your owner, Dan Gilbert, blew molten lava all over the Internet, posting an open letter accusing LeBron of being "narcissistic" and "cowardly" -- well, hey, who didn't jump up and cheer? Go CAVS! OK, maybe Gilbert did try to steal Tom Izzo the way Miami stole LeBron, but memories are short. Time is long.

And for a long time, Cleveland, you will be able to milk this thing. You'll have our pat on the back. You'll have our sad smiles. Scream "Your loss, LeBron!" Scream, "Take your powder with you!"

You're the white hat, he's the black hat. You're Caesar, he is Brutus. Wear your jilt with pride, Cleveland. Paint that broken heart on your sleeve, and get in line with the rest of us.

Fear not, oh city by the lake. You are Sampson after Delilah. Grow your hair back. Wash that man right out of it.

And check when Kobe's contract is up.

You never know ...

Contact MITCH ALBOM: 313-223-4581 or malbom@freepress.com.

I could care less what anybody thinks. As long as we win the championship before the traitor.

You guys may not care but it really is, I can't find anyone who doesn't want to see Cleveland succeed. It's really hard not to favor the organization after what Lebron did.

Boston saw Babe Ruth sold to the Yankees. Brooklyn saw the Dodgers take off for Los Angeles. Baltimore saw the Colts vanish in the middle of the night, trucking it to Indianapolis

This is the one thing I didn't like. He acted like we have never been through this before... Did he forget the Browns left Cleveland too?

Great, I guess. But I'm left to wonder...How does a straight male know that much about celebrity relationships?

So you are saying he is gay? ;)

:chuckles: I've just never known a straight male that knew this much about other people's relationships...much less celebrity ones.

Max is obviously a different story...but it's hard for him NOT to find out that information when he has video cameras installed in the shower room.

Pretty sure most of America that hates Lebron right now is rallying behind the Thunder and the Lakers.

It'd be great too actually see a superstar come to Gilbert and say... i wanna do what lebron couldnt do.

it wont happen but it would be awesome.... KOBE! lol

Kobe obviously will finish a Laker. Imagine, though, when his time is up in 3 years and he's 34, if he seriously came to the Cavs for 2 years just to try to do what Lequit couldn't do. He would grow his legend by about 100x if he managed to pull it off.

Believe it or not Im a bit of a Pistons/Bucks fan now too. Simply because Im sick of people saying players wont come to our region. Detroit has as many problems as us and has been able to win championships. I love that Detroit was able to beat a team of all stars a few years back, even though I was cheering against them at the time. I know the tradition is to hate the team next door to you, but I kind of feel like we are in the same boat.

U of Mich, Ravens, and the Steelers still suck though.

One of my favorite lines:

"Who can relate to Miami? The people in Miami can't relate to Miami. It's a place of charlatans, wannabes and men with too many buttons open. Cleveland is real. Cleveland is face-value. What you see is what you get."

Miami is the perfect place for Shames. He would never appreciate - or deserve - the championship that will be won in Cleveland.

You're the white hat, he's the black hat.
thatsracistgm751224856460.gif

Believe it or not Im a bit of a Pistons/Bucks fan now too. Simply because Im sick of people saying players wont come to our region. Detroit has as many problems as us and has been able to win championships. I love that Detroit was able to beat a team of all stars a few years back, even though I was cheering against them at the time. I know the tradition is to hate the team next door to you, but I kind of feel like we are in the same boat.

U of Mich, Ravens, and the Steelers still suck though.

I understand what you are saying, but I can't pull for Detroit in anything sports related...as a city, their sports fans are spoiled. They claim they know heartache because of the Lions. Whatever. Since 1964 they have experienced 3 Pistons titles, 2 Tigers titles, and 4 Stanley Cups for the Red Wings. That is a championship nearly every 5 years...

I am sorry, but Detroit fans have no idea what it is like to be a Cleveland fan.

This is the one thing I didn't like. He acted like we have never been through this before... Did he forget the Browns left Cleveland too?

Ok... First of all.. Jesus ... This guy took the time and wrote a heartfelt letter to US.. CLEVELAND... from Detroit.. One of our "Rivals" on the basketball court and you pick out one sentence. He didn't mention the Browns becuase the Browns leaving happened to us... not any other city and he was trying to say that other cities have felt betrayed before too and can relate. I liked this letter a lot.. and I say Thank you to him, Detroit, and the rest of the country/world for backing this city up for once!!!!

GO CAVS!!

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-15: "Cavs Survive and Advance"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:15: Cavs Survive and Advance