• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

The Brian Hoyer thread...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The receiving core on paper doesn't look good, but I'm not sure why Hoyer is getting 100% credit and the receivers keep getting bashed here.... They're getting open seemingly consistently, they're not dropping passes.

Not sure how so many people can hold this "Hoyer is not losing us games, he's doing everything you want" view, and then bash the receivers he's throwing to in an attempt to prop him up more, who are also not losing the Browns games, and are doing what's asked of them.

The tight ends have been better than anyone expected. As much as we have kidded around about Gary "purveyor of roasted chestnuts" Barnridge and Jim "my mom's basement is furnished" Dray... They catch passes without drops and Shanahan gets them open.

I have seen Miles Austin drop about one pass per game on average, including preseason. Gabriel doesn't catch contested balls well at all, luckily he gets by with falling to the turf in a pile and drawing interference penalties. Nope, not impressed with the receiver group in the least.

The tight ends have been better than anyone expected. As much as we have kidded around about Gary "purveyor of roasted chestnuts" Barnridge and Jim "my mom's basement is furnished" Dray... They catch passes without drops and Shanahan gets them open.

I have seen Miles Austin drop about one pass per game on average, including preseason. Gabriel doesn't catch contested balls well at all, luckily he gets by with falling to the turf in a pile and drawing interference penalties. Nope, not impressed with the receiver group in the least.

As opposed to the launching of a five yard out over the head or poorly thrown deep ball Hoyer comes across every quarter or so, I've been equally unimpressed.

One thing is clear, it's time for Barnidge to take over more of a leadership role on offense. Taking young players like Gabriel under his wing during his weekly job of moving furniture might just be what he needs to take the next step career-wise.

A lot of us too aren't bashing the WR's as much as we are trying say Hoyer missing Cameron/Gordon hurts him. A top 7 TE and a top 5 WR missing from your team isn't ideal.

I think the WR's are doing a fair job, no doubt about it.

Our receivers are not good, but its not as bad as many are saying.

The 3 tight ends have been strong (when healthy) and Hawkins has been great in the slot. Also our backs have done a great job picking up the blitz and receiving out the backfield

I will agree that Miles is at best a 2nd or 3rd receiver at this point.

What is missing is an elite number one, which we already knew. If we had Gordon, we would have good receivers. Without they are average, but they are not putrid.

Last edited:

The 3 tight ends have been strong (when healthy) and Hawkins has been great in the slot. Also our backs have done a great job picking up the blitz and receiving out the backfield

I will agree that Miles is at best a 2nd or 3rd reciever at this point.

What is missing is an elite number one, which we already new. If we had Gordon, we would have good receivers. Without they are average, but they are not putrid.

Even just getting Cameron back will make Hawkins look so much better. He is going to be a stud when Cameron and Gordon are on the field.

I will agree that Miles is at best a 2nd or 3rd receiver at this point.

What is missing is an elite number one, which we already knew. If we had Gordon, we would have good receivers. Without they are average, but they are not putrid.
Austin is a 2nd receivers thats where he lines up. Without his speed he is mostly a possession guy and has done well on short routes. He isnt a guy you just throw the ball up in thair and have him get it. you gotta throw it two him.

Hawkins though isnt doing a bad job production wise
RK PLAYER TEAM REC TAR 1DN
1Julio Jones, WR ATL 23 33 16
2Jordy Nelson, WR 18 30 13
3Vincent Jackson, WRTB10 25 27
4Steve Smith Sr., WR BAL13 24 87
Calvin Johnson, WR DET13 24 11
6Jimmy Graham, TE NO 18 23 13
Andrew Hawkins, WR CLE 14 23 9

He is top 10 in receptions, Targets, and first downs.

Both Miles and Austin are skilled enough to be used to move the ball and keep the running game going to allow the Browns to win the field possession battle which they have done both weeks.

Can we activate the spreadsheet plugin it worked well on the test page.

Last edited:
Austin is a 2nd receivers thats where he lines up. Without his speed he is mostly a possession guy and has done well on short routes. He isnt a guy you just throw the ball up in thair and have him get it. you gotta throw it two him.

Hawkins though isnt doing a bad job production wise
RK PLAYER TEAM REC TAR 1DN
1Julio Jones, WR ATL 23 33 16
2Jordy Nelson, WR 18 30 13
3Vincent Jackson, WRTB10 25 27
4Steve Smith Sr., WR BAL13 24 87
Calvin Johnson, WR DET13 24 11
6Jimmy Graham, TE NO 18 23 13
Andrew Hawkins, WR CLE 14 23 9

He is top 10 in receptions, Targets, and first downs.

Both Miles and Austin are skilled enough to be used to move the ball and keep the running game going to allow the Browns to win the field possession battle which they have done both weeks.

Can we activate the spreadsheet plugin it worked well on the test page.

I really think Hawkins will excel even more once we get Gordon back. Hoyer just needs to keep doing what he's doing. I'd just like him not to miss as much. He has fucked up some gimme throws the last two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's going to be a tough game. The Raven's defense is good enough that you can't have a one dimensional offense and succeed. My guess is they'll cram 8 in the box to shut down the running game, and dare Hoyer to beat them. That's a lot of pressure and the weather is likely to be crappy. That's going to make it doubly painful if we don't have Cameron, because TE's are especially important in bad weather.

On the flip side, Hoyers (relative) lack of arm strength might not matter as much in crappy conditions because he won't be throwing long anyway. Key for him -- and probably for the Browns offensively as a whole -- is whether he'll be able to hit those intermediate and crossing routes to keep the D honest.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."