• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Browns Free Agency 2015

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
He's apparently not getting anywhere with signing with Philly.

I wouldn't be upset with signing him for the right price. Vertical threat, can catch those annoying screens as well.

I can't imagine a scenario where Maclin gets $10/yr.

Would feel incredibly sorry for that team.

Very similar to what Cobb is looking for as well. Would you be okay with the Browns paying that price?

He's apparently not getting anywhere with signing with Philly.

I wouldn't be upset with signing him for the right price. Vertical threat, can catch those annoying screens as well.

I don't believe he leaves Philly. One of the main reasons they traded McCoy was to save $10mil in space to help in signing Maclin.

Chip Kelly just took hold of the personnel in Philly. I think he is about to Butch Davis / Mike Dunleavy Senior the crap out of the franchise.

There is absolutely no reason to be overpaying a WR for 10mil plus until we have an NFL caliber QB on this roster.

A Browns blueprint: Cost-effective free agency deals

By Jeremy Fowler | ESPN.com

The Browns can print their own "play like a Brown" money, toting $53.77 million in InstaBrown salary-cap bucks.

They have to spend at least some of that pile. As explained last week, to get above the Collective Bargaining Agreement’s 89-percent rule, the Browns must spend roughly $71 million during the next two offseasons. Rookie contracts and in-house signings will cover some of those expenses.

All this cap space doesn’t mean the Browns must make an Ndamukong Suh-sized play. That seems unlikely. Don’t expect the Browns to be huge players in the market of top-10 players. That doesn’t seem to fit Ray Farmer’s draft-first philosophy. Look around the league at some of the top franchises – Packers, Patriots, Ravens. They won’t be overly active when the market booms on March 10.

But the Browns’ plan from last year could be a good blueprint for Farmer’s second year. In fact, Cleveland’s strategy worked (repeat: Cleveland's strategy worked!). Don’t be surprised if they roll out a similar plan – sign a few quality players that command rich, but not outrageous, contracts, then fill in the gaps with other veterans.

At the start of free agency, the Browns poured about $25 million in guaranteed money to linebacker Karlos Dansby and safety Donte Whitner. These are good signings, for the money. Whitner’s $13 million in guarantees was behind Denver’s T.J. Ward and New Orleans’ Jairus Byrd in the 2014 safety market.

Dansby’s $12 million guaranteed put him 22nd overall among linebackers (3-4 OLBs occupy some of those spots).

Both players were productive on the field and in the locker room as influential veterans.

Andrew Hawkins looks like a steal for Cleveland at four years for $13.6 million and $6.8 million in guarantees. The Browns aided the receiver position with a one-year deal for Miles Austin. Perhaps they could have done more at this position, but Austin was the Browns’ best third-down receiver for most of the year.

Despite Farmer’s blunders, including two first-round picks who struggled mightily as rookies and a text message investigation that hurts the Browns’ image, it should be noted that Farmer essentially went 4-for-4 in top free agent signings last year. That should sway his plan for this year.

“Active? Not active? It’s really about being judicious and making smart decisions,” Farmer told ClevelandBrowns.com last month. “That’s the one thing we’ve tried to articulate to [owner Jimmy Haslam] and the rest of our staff. It doesn’t mean we’re not going to go. It doesn’t mean we’re not going to play. It doesn’t mean we’re not going to allocate cap dollars in that regard.”

This is typical Farmer – incredibly vague, by design.

But I believe he’s already tipped his hand by the way the team handled last year. The plan worked and is worth repeating.

If the Browns do decide on a big-money play, however, my guess is they target a talented pass-rusher such as Jerry Hughes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-b...ns-blueprint-cost-effective-free-agency-deals

You guys ready for the Brandon Marshall experience? Played with McCown...

Let's pick him up, lose another draft pick on top of the mid-round pick we are going to lose for "text gate" and sign DGB.

Our locker room and sideline would be faannnnntastic.

If he actually came here and we actually drafted DGB, that would be the worst thing for that kid.

Am I missing something or hasn't Brandon Marshall made a serious turn-around in his career? Hasn't he been lauded as a leader? Did he mess up Alshon Jeffrey's career?

DGB may be a problem child. I don't think Marshall's presence would exacerbate DGB's problems. Heck, he might actually help by being a vet pro.

The chances we end up with DGB and Marshall are at less than 1% in my opinion.

Couldn't agree more that both sides needed to go their separate ways.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/03/brian_hoyer_its_good_for_both.html#incart_2box

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Brian Hoyer acknowledged what he and the Browns have known since they agreed to terms Friday night with new quarterback Josh McCown: the hometown hero story is over.

"It's good for both sides to get a fresh start and go our separate ways," Hoyer told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday. "Being from here, I'll always root for the Browns. I know I'm going to be continuing my football career somewhere."

Hoyer, who went 10-6 for the Browns over the past two seasons, is one of the top free agent quarterbacks on the market and will undoubtedly receive plenty of interest as early as Saturday when teams can begin calling agents. Teams can start negotiating deal on Tuesday at 4 p.m., and Hoyer, who will play in Kurt Warner's flag-football charity event in Arizona on Saturday, is eagerly anticipating his next move.

"In between games Saturday, I'll be checking my phone to see if my agent has talked to anyone," Hoyer told USA TODAY Sports. "It's an exciting time, my first time as a free agent.

"You don't know where you'll be living in two months. The good thing is I'll have an opportunity to be on an NFL team, and hopefully, compete for a starting job. ... I have a lot to offer whatever team I go to. My best football is still ahead."

Hoyer will compete for vacancies with Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett, Mark Sanchez, Christian Ponder and Shaun Hill. On Thursday, one possible opportunity dried up when Matt Cassel was traded from the Vikings to the Bills, where he'll compete with E.J. Manuel for the starting job.

Texans coach Bill O'Brien coached Hoyer in New England and likes him, but indicated at the NFL combine that he'll give Mallett a shot to be his man. The Rams are looking to bring in quarterbacks to backup Sam Bradford, and the Titans could be looking to drive competition for second-year quarterback Zach Mettenberger, who's represented by the same agent as Hoyer. Titans coach Ken Whisenhunt also started Hoyer in the 2012 season-finale in Arizona.

"I look forward to helping whatever team get better and go to the playoffs," Hoyer said. "If you're in the right situation, believe in yourself, nothing will hold you back."

The Browns have known for some time that they were moving on from Hoyer, but wanted to make sure they had a plan B in place first. When Browns owner Jimmy Haslam took his top club officials to Florida a three-day retreat in late January, they returned home in agreement that they were going in a different direction. Present on the trip were coach Mike Pettine, Farmer, team president Alec Scheiner and general counsel Sashi Brown.

At an appearance at The Great Big Home and Garden Show on Feb. 7th, Hoyer talked like a man who knew he was gone, showing support for former Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, who left with two years on his contract, and stressing that his decision on whether or not to stay would be determined in part by the outcome of general manager Ray Farmer's texting scandal.

Hoyer never felt Farmer was in his corner, and wanted to know if the texts contained derogatory comments about him before he'd decide to stay. Hoyer also anticipated having a meeting with Farmer before either side made a decision, but it never materialized. Hoyer waited for Farmer to call him, and Farmer expected Hoyer to come in and meet with him at the Browns facility in Berea.

When the Browns signed McCown to a three-year deal worth $14 million, including $6.25 fully guaranteed, it spelled the end of Hoyer in Cleveland. Coach Mike Pettine and general manager Ray Farmer each called Hoyer to deliver the news, and although they didn't come out and say it, it meant good-bye.

The move angered many Browns fans, but one NFL coach told Northeast Ohio Media Group he'd start McCown over Hoyer because McCown plays relaxed, doesn't get rattled and was not the reason the 2-14 Bucs struggled last season.

McCown, meanwhile, told NEOMG that he understands Browns fans' devotion to their homegrown quarterback, one who had the Browns all alone in first place in the AFC North after nine games last season before it all fell apart down the stretch.

"I met Brian a few years ago at a workout for the Giants and I was impressed with him and I've rooted for him from afar especially with what he went through a couple of years ago with the knee and to come back this year,'' McCown said. "I love stories like that. It's awesome. I'm a fan of Brian and I his work ethic. It's been a great story of him playing right there in his hometown.

"Trust me, Growing up in Texas, I had dreams of playing for the Dallas Cowboys, so I can appreciate that 100%, and I don't take anything away from anybody who's thrown their support behind Brian.

"Whatever happens with Brian, I wish him well, but I certainly understand the loyalty to a hometown guy who's done the things that he's done and had a role in last year. So I get it, and that's why I'm excited about coming to the city because the get behind people and support the guys. And all I've heard over and over is how much that city loves the Browns, so it's exciting to come to a place like that. I'm looking forward to experiencing it.''

ESPN Monday Night Football analyst Jon Gruden had some encouraging words for Hoyer as he heads into free agency.

"Brian Hoyer has proven he can win games for you," Gruden told USA TODAY Sports. "I was in Green Bay and we cut Kurt Warner. We didn't think he had a chance. He went to Arena ball. And he's going to the Hall of Fame.

"It's all about the coach, the organization building their team around the quarterback and doing everything they can to make him successful."

I know we already have Gilbert, but, I wouldn't mind Byron Maxwell.

I'm pretty sure he is looking for big $$$$ though.

Really lost a lot of respect for Farmer when it became apparent that it may actually have been him pushing Manziel throughout all of this.

Scary, scary stuff for the organization. It's strange too, because I actually feel like he's done so well at just about everything else.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."