• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

#8: Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State University

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
I have absolutely nothing to base this on and this is a complete hypothetical, but what if it turns out Gilbert is schizophrenic? And they think he can function in meds? The missed walk through could have been a side effect.

their own fans... Something which you are not...

I'm a fan. They're the only team I'd consistently watch or have any real interest in. I'm not a die hard fan and don't really understand the concept of being one. Seems like a waste of energy and a lack of being in touch with reality.

I just don't respect the team I'm a fan of. Just because I'm not optimistic about the decisions they make and expect them to do poorly doesn't mean I'm not a fan.

As for Justin Gilbert and people's analysis of him as a person...IDGAF. I'd just like to see him play well on the football field so the team I'm a fan of provides some level of entertainment to me on Sundays.

Justin Gilbert, Joe Haden working out together this offseason

In his exit interview Dec. 29, Browns cornerback Justin Gilbert said one of his goals was to stay in regular communication with his teammate, and a guy he considers his mentor, Pro BowlerJoe Haden.

“He’s just such a good dude,” Gilbert said. “He comes in with the same attitude every day, always with the biggest smile in the room.”

Gilbert followed through on those plans and recently flew down to Miami to meet up with Haden at LegacyFit, a gym where several professional athletes train in the offseason. Haden posted a picture of the two together Tuesday.

“He is growing up,” Haden said in a recent interview. “Justin’s a very, very talented player. It’s just going to take a little bit of time.”

So what exactly has Haden been preaching to Gilbert this offseason?

“We talk about plays, talk about things off the field, what I need to do to get better,” Gilbert said. “And how to carry yourself like a pro.”

Gilbert’s rookie season in Cleveland had a few highs – like his pick-six touchdown on Andrew Luck using an advanced trap technique in coverage.

But the lows were prevalent, too. Thrown in the fire Week 1 against the Steelers, Gilbert was beaten by receiver Markus Wheaton late in the fourth quarter to set up Pittsburgh’s game-winning field goal. Three months later, the Browns’ regular season finale was marred by the fact that Gilbert was put on the inactive list for being late to a team meeting.

In 14 games, Gilbert had two starts, 29 tackles and one interception.

“We’ve definitely seen flashes of his ability, and we’ve seen it in games as well,” coach Mike Pettine said in December. “I could make a 20-play cut-up of him where he’d look like one of the elite corners in the league, and I could make another 20-play cut-up where you wouldn’t take him until Day 3 of the draft. In this league, it’s all about being consistent.”

That consistency Pettine speaks of begins in the offseason, and that’s what Haden has been drilling home to his counterpart. Haden has had lengthy discussions about how his 2012 suspension for a violation of the league’s controlled substance policy became a turning point in holding himself accountable.

Haden can nudge Gilbert into trusting his substandard rookie season can be used as leverage to have a turning point early in his career.

“Mainly, professional football really is a business,” Gilbert said of what he learned in Year 1. “You have to come to work every day and prepare like it’s your last day. You have to prepare to be a starter even if you aren’t the starter. You have to be ready at all times because it really is a grinding business.

“Just seeing three Pro Bowlers from our classroom, it shows me that the hard work from the OTAs to the season can really pay off. It’s where I want to be next season.”

If Gilbert is Bi-Polar, I hear fucking Lebron's mom helps.

It's just going to take a little bit of time guys.

Coupled with Pettine's comment that the Browns didn't realize how serious the media would take the use of the words "very personal", it sounds like it's a maturity issue. Taking the job as a job, not a payday.

One of my biggest gripes about this "regime" is that they're so green that they don't have a grasp of the media. Pettine seems like he's being genuine, so it doesn't hurt him as much, but Haslam, Farmer and Scheiner seem like they need an experienced PR advisor. Something even as small as a "focus group" of media members that regularly vet the current issues in private would do numbers for their local perception, in my opinion.

The Browns PR department had been in a sort of disarray for a while now, honestly.

They brought in a new VP last summer, but there have definitely been some issues which could be preventable.

I think there lies a significant difference in the prospects of Justin Gilbert turning his career around vs. Johnny Manziel.

That difference being talent. I'm not sure Manziel ever had the level of talent required to succeed at the NFL level whereas Gilbert's talent and athleticism unquestionably fit the bill. It simply comes down to honing it in and inspiring focus which is easier said than done.

Last edited:
Coupled with Pettine's comment that the Browns didn't realize how serious the media would take the use of the words "very personal", it sounds like it's a maturity issue. Taking the job as a job, not a payday.

One of my biggest gripes about this "regime" is that they're so green that they don't have a grasp of the media. Pettine seems like he's being genuine, so it doesn't hurt him as much, but Haslam, Farmer and Scheiner seem like they need an experienced PR advisor. Something even as small as a "focus group" of media members that regularly vet the current issues in private would do numbers for their local perception, in my opinion.

I've gotten the impression that Jimmy Haslam is a crook, hot-headed and irrational when he's worked up, thinks of himself too highly from a football knowledge standpoint, and fancies himself another Jerry Jones.

I've gotten the impression that Ray Farmer is a good evaluator of talent, doesn't have a problem telling Haslam to fuck off but doesn't win 100% of the time he fights him, and has kind of an abrasive/douchey personality.

Are these things PR problems or just reality, I wonder?

I've gotten the impression that Jimmy Haslam is a crook, hot-headed and irrational when he's worked up, thinks of himself too highly from a football knowledge standpoint, and fancies himself another Jerry Jones.

I've gotten the impression that Ray Farmer is a good evaluator of talent, doesn't have a problem telling Haslam to fuck off but doesn't win 100% of the time he fights him, and has kind of an abrasive/douchey personality.

Are these things PR problems or just reality, I wonder?

I get a different impression of those 2.

Haslam I don't think is as bad/crazy as everyone thinks he is. I think he's a smart guy who is comfortable being the boss and is successful at it in his truck stop business because no one else questions his authority. It seems like he's second guessing himself because now everything the Browns do are second guessed by millions of people and they generally make front page news. I also think some of his business practices are less than ethical and have been for a long time.

Farmer comes off a confident and almost arrogant in his public persona. However; he seems like when push comes to shove he acquiesces to the owner and doesn't stand his ground. IMO, he seems in public he could tell the owner to screw off but in private he doesn't have the stones to do so.

I'm not sure how this is about Justin Gilbert but whatever. I hope Gilbert comes along nicely. We will see what the Browns think of him come draft time. They might have the ability to draft some real nice CBs at 12 or 19. If they do, it's not a good sign for JG.

So...do we move on from him? Tons of SEC CB talent can be had in the 1st round.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."