• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Johnny Manziel: Swan Won't Return His Calls

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
My thesis was and continues to be value of keeping Lewis around the team as an inactive 3rd quarterback

And Pettine is clearly referencing Johnny's health. He is clearly the #2.

This is why I spent a decade ignoring the football section here. Ben, I expect a raise.

Reactions: AZ_
I see the twitterverse is making a bif deal on if Mccown practices on friday he will start over Manziel..

as much as id like to see Manziel continue to play. Mccown was named the starting quarterback and if he practices he should continue to start unless his performance is what gets him off the field.

Hoyer on the other hand was pulled for performance reasons so starting Mallet is a different story.

I mean it should be expected that if the starting quarterback completes a practice its expected he will start unless he is still hampered by injury.

If McCown is healthy I have to imagine he'll get the start. Continue to develop Johnny as a backup for now and don't rush him into a role he's probably still not ready for. That's the plan. Stick to it.

Mort & Schefter: How Chip almost coached Johnny -- twice

1. The Chip Kelly and Johnny Football connection
Johnny Manziel vs. Marcus Mariota in Week 2 could be the matchup when the Browns and Titans play Sunday. They almost were teammates at Oregon. All that's missing for this matchup is Chip Kelly on the sidelines calling plays ... for Manziel.

Huh?

Consider the backstory here. Kelly initially was target No. 1 for the Cleveland Browns after owner Jimmy Haslam fired head coach Pat Shurmur following the 2013 season. Cleveland met with Kelly after Oregon beat Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl. Only Kelly wasn't ready to make the jump to the NFL, or so he thought until he changed his mind a week later and decided to become the coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, who then hired Shurmur as his offensive coordinator.

The story of Manziel and Mariota almost becoming teammates traces back to June 2010 when they both attended Kelly's Oregon camp before their senior high school seasons. The Ducks were willing to sign two quarterbacks for their signing class of 2011. Manziel was offered a scholarship and verbally committed to the Ducks. Mariota was a more fascinating story. At the time of the Oregon camp, he had never started a high school game for Honolulu powerhouse St. Louis High. But Ducks quarterbacks coach Mark Helfrich traveled to Honolulu on a recruiting trip in the spring of 2010 and observed Mariota taking the starter reps, which led to an invitation to that Oregon camp in June. Mariota went to the camp and impressed Kelly and Helfrich enough to also earn a scholarship offer.

Manziel could have kept his word but it was his right to change his mind and he did, flipping his verbal commitment to Texas A&M before signing day.

"We had Johnny and Marcus both committed," said Helfrich in a light-hearted manner, "and we ended up with the taller, faster, better-looking guy." Manziel and Mariota each went on to win Heismans and became first-round draft picks. Their similarities end there, for the time being, but Manziel with Kelly in Cleveland may have been fascinating.

So Johnny almost went to Kelly's Ducks, and Chip almost landed with Manziel's Browns. Ultimately, Kelly almost coached Manziel -- twice.
SOURCE

Mort & Schefter: How Chip almost coached Johnny -- twice

1. The Chip Kelly and Johnny Football connection
Johnny Manziel vs. Marcus Mariota in Week 2 could be the matchup when the Browns and Titans play Sunday. They almost were teammates at Oregon. All that's missing for this matchup is Chip Kelly on the sidelines calling plays ... for Manziel.

Huh?

Consider the backstory here. Kelly initially was target No. 1 for the Cleveland Browns after owner Jimmy Haslam fired head coach Pat Shurmur following the 2013 season. Cleveland met with Kelly after Oregon beat Kansas State in the Fiesta Bowl. Only Kelly wasn't ready to make the jump to the NFL, or so he thought until he changed his mind a week later and decided to become the coach of the Philadelphia Eagles, who then hired Shurmur as his offensive coordinator.

The story of Manziel and Mariota almost becoming teammates traces back to June 2010 when they both attended Kelly's Oregon camp before their senior high school seasons. The Ducks were willing to sign two quarterbacks for their signing class of 2011. Manziel was offered a scholarship and verbally committed to the Ducks. Mariota was a more fascinating story. At the time of the Oregon camp, he had never started a high school game for Honolulu powerhouse St. Louis High. But Ducks quarterbacks coach Mark Helfrich traveled to Honolulu on a recruiting trip in the spring of 2010 and observed Mariota taking the starter reps, which led to an invitation to that Oregon camp in June. Mariota went to the camp and impressed Kelly and Helfrich enough to also earn a scholarship offer.

Manziel could have kept his word but it was his right to change his mind and he did, flipping his verbal commitment to Texas A&M before signing day.

"We had Johnny and Marcus both committed," said Helfrich in a light-hearted manner, "and we ended up with the taller, faster, better-looking guy." Manziel and Mariota each went on to win Heismans and became first-round draft picks. Their similarities end there, for the time being, but Manziel with Kelly in Cleveland may have been fascinating.

So Johnny almost went to Kelly's Ducks, and Chip almost landed with Manziel's Browns. Ultimately, Kelly almost coached Manziel -- twice.
SOURCE
Didn't you say you thought he would be traded by now for Sam Bradford?

Didn't you say you thought he would be traded by now for Sam Bradford?
Oh it could still happen and, in my opinion, would have happened if not for Manziel's elbow injury. I hope his elbow stays injured for a while.

I think a trade (for Bradford) would be a big mistake, unless Philly is also including a draft pick.

I've been a Manziel detractor but I trust Chip Kelly's judgement far more than I do Ray Farmer's.

The Browns should adopt their scheme to fit Manziel and not the other way around.

Last edited:
Oh it could still happen and, in my opinion, would have happened if not for Manziel's elbow injury. I hope his elbow stays injured for a while.

I think a trade (for Bradford) would be a big mistake, unless Philly is also including a draft pick.

I've been a Manziel detractor but I trust Chip Kelly's judgement far more than I do Ray Farmer's.

The Browns should adopt their scheme to fit Manziel and not the other way around.
One thing I believe was a mistake by Shanahan was trying to tailor or limit an offense by Johnny skills with the pistol.

This season the Browns are doing the right thing. letting Manziel learn the skills he needs to be a quarterback.

Manziel hasnt been given an opportunity to show what he can do the pocket and his running skills and instincts are best suited for ad lib not planned.

Manziel needs to stand under center and be flushed out the pocket. A few roll outs and option plays are okay but not as an entire offense.

Manziels issues last season aside . The coaching staff implementing a Manziel only offense and not allowing him to run the base offense further alienated him from the team last season.

so far this season weve seen the Browns use Johnny in the shotgun, behind center and run a no huddle.

let him continue to run some base offense and build from there.

One thing I believe was a mistake by Shanahan was trying to tailor or limit an offense by Johnny skills with the pistol.

This season the Browns are doing the right thing. letting Manziel learn the skills he needs to be a quarterback.

Manziel hasnt been given an opportunity to show what he can do the pocket and his running skills and instincts are best suited for ad lib not planned.

Manziel needs to stand under center and be flushed out the pocket. A few roll outs and option plays are okay but not as an entire offense.

Manziels issues last season aside . The coaching staff implementing a Manziel only offense and not allowing him to run the base offense further alienated him from the team last season.

Holy shit, I agree with tornicade 100% on a Johnny Manziel post... including his grammar!!!

What we are seeing with Manziel is exactly what I feared with him coming out...

You simply can't play QB in the NFL the Johnny Football way. It may work in the short term but defenses will eventually catch up to the scheme and the QB will be exposed to more hits and ultimately more chances for injury. Therefore you have to teach him to play from the pocket.

Playing Manziel from the pocket is tough because it takes away his most valuable skill, his ability to make something out of nothing. If you take the Johnny Football out of Manziel what do you have? A 5'11, slight framed QB with a sub par arm who has never played under center in his life until this year. Take the hype, the name, the Heisman away and look at him as a prospect in that light and I don't think he'd even be drafted.

I'm glad Manziel is starting because that means he'll likely start the rest of the season and then we can end this experiment and find an actual quarterback for next year.

What we are seeing with Manziel is exactly what I feared with him coming out...

You simply can't play QB in the NFL the Johnny Football way. It may work in the short term but defenses will eventually catch up to the scheme and the QB will be exposed to more hits and ultimately more chances for injury. Therefore you have to teach him to play from the pocket.

Playing Manziel from the pocket is tough because it takes away his most valuable skill, his ability to make something out of nothing. If you take the Johnny Football out of Manziel what do you have? A 5'11, slight framed QB with a sub par arm who has never played under center in his life until this year. Take the hype, the name, the Heisman away and look at him as a prospect in that light and I don't think he'd even be drafted.

I think he just needs to find the right balance between running and throwing, with throwing being the first priority and running only when the defense is giving it to him. That balance should come with more game reps and just experience in general. As Flip said yesterday, if you couldn't notice a difference between how Johnny played last week versus last year then you have your head in the sand.

Being able to run the ball and the defense keeping us playing from behind (which I know the TOs may it really hard to do) would also help keep Johnny from feeling the need to do too much and should have him playing more in control.

I'm back to typing what I believed at the time of the draft.

Manziel right now:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RoseTi00.htm

Here's a guy who seemed great as an improviser in college, but we have seen time and time again that improvising is a cherry on top for QBs. They still have to operate out of a pro style offense in the pocket.

What Manziel might become in a few years, if he can operate an offense from the pocket:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FlutDo00.htm

Here's a guy who failed at first, but after second and third chances elsewhere he figured out how to run an NFL offense despite his measurable. His ceiling was still an average NFL QB due to his measurables, but his ad lib play made him a bit of a legend and useful in the NFL for a very long time.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."