• Changing RCF's index page, please click on "Forums" to access the forums.

Johnny Manziel: Swan Won't Return His Calls

Do Not Sell My Personal Information
No
Essentially, the POV is that PFF is infallible in its grading of QBs and that if you don't understand/accept why great games get shitty grades, you're just plain dumb.

I just think these PFF grades for QBs being terrible after a good game by a QB should prompt PFF to look in the mirror a bit, rather than prompt them to try to force feed it to everyone as the be-all-end-all way to see it.
Lol no, the POV is getting your WRs the ball in space and having them create is credited more to the WR than the QB. I think people are overthinking it because ZOMG 450 yards!!!

That's valid.

But does not mean he didn't play well.

It's almost like you all forgot what a quarterback playing badly looks like.

I think B00bie can at least admit although our skill players aren't bad, but limited though.

I mean, it's not easy having a bunch of smaller receivers, it does shrink your passing windows. I'm not suggesting these guys aren't good and they're not making plays either.

Our receiving core isn't bad, but they are limited. Every QB loves throwing to a big target. I don't think you'll find one QB tell you they don't.

I just never thought we'd be a productive offense like we have thus far, with a terrible running game.

We rank 27th in running, which is very disappointing.

If we continue to struggle to run the ball, our offense will eventually sputter.

27th running, 5th passing, 7th total. And that's with two weeks of Johnny.

Of the teams (NO, DEN, Miami, Detroit) who rush for less YPG than we do, only NO has more yards per game, and the rest are > 50 ypg less than we are.

It's not QB talent (worst QB of those five) and a lack of larger skill position players. I've bolded what I have because you're talking apples and oranges from my POV (and I completely accept that your POV is correct).

If you give a QB a big target, it's easier to throw to than a small target in terms of ball placement in a tight window (big bodies produce dificulties for coverage to break on balls). However, if the small target runs considerably better routes and gets seperation the QB is going to have a really easy time making throws in comparison to big target, shitty routes.

I think Gannon talked about how its easier during the game, and while I'm no NFL QB, regardless of height; open > covered.

Lol no, the POV is getting your WRs the ball in space and having them create is credited more to the WR than the QB. I think people are overthinking it because ZOMG 450 yards!!!

I think that de-values a lot of what goes on during the week between WRs and QBs. It should reflect equally as well on both players, IMO.

QBs develop timing, which allows WRs to get comfortable with routes and depressions in coverage/schemes. Ultimately, the WR must keep the DB on their heels which is a big job of theirs, but delivering timely balls allows for momentary separation to turn into big gains in space at the same time.

I think that de-values a lot of what goes on during the week between WRs and QBs. It should reflect equally as well on both players, IMO.

QBs develop timing, which allows WRs to get comfortable with routes and depressions in coverage/schemes. Ultimately, the WR must keep the DB on their heels which is a big job of theirs, but delivering timely balls allows for momentary separation to turn into big gains in space at the same time.
OK, so if I give you a pen and you write a NYT Best Seller with that pen, you're saying I coauthored the book right?

Perfect analogy. Really sums up what it's like to play quarterback in the National Football League.

OK, so if I give you a pen and you write a NYT Best Seller with that pen, you're saying I coauthored the book right?

Can I use it writing upside-down? :chuckle:

I don't think Josh McCown is a world beater; I don't think he's the future. I do think that his performance Sunday had a lot to do with him and the WRs playing very well.. Just to make my opinion clear.

To address your analogy, I don't think that Josh fits well... That completely devalues the QB's role in any game. The action of you giving me a pen and a QB delivering a timely throw to a receiver really don't measure up at all.

the other thing is PFF has absolutely no idea what the play call is, or what a player is suppose to be doing. For example WR runs the wrong route. the QB throws the ball perfectly to where the receiver was suppose to be. However because the receiver wasnt there the ball is picked off, and it looks like a horrible throw. Is that a +.5 for the QB because he threw a perfect ball right to where it was suppose to be, and a -1.5 for the receiver because it was his fault there was a turnover. Or is it a -1.5 for the QB because he missed his receiver by a mile and it caused a turnover.

clearly the important thing is the PFF saw the game on sunday and determined that somehow someway mccown despite completing 70% of his passes, for 450 yards, scoring 3 TDs, and not having any turnovers, had a bad game.

You really can't wrap your head around looking at stats which don't align with the box score.

I think it's a neat system, but like any it has downfalls.

A quick Google will find plenty of people questioning PFF. It isn't infallible.

No stat is infallible, but the people most vocal in speaking out against it are those least likely to understand it.

I honestly have no idea how you came to that conclusion?

If anyone questions it, they likely don't understand it...yet you agree it's not infallible.

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Video

Episode 3-14: "Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey"

Rubber Rim Job Podcast Spotify

Episode 3:14: " Time for Playoff Vengeance on Mickey."